ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Autumn

Registered Shopper
de Jager 18 x Peony Tulips Bulb Collection

QVC Price: £12.00
One Time Only Price :£9.98
P&P: £3.95
http://www.qvcuk.com/de-Jager-18-x-...ml?sc=NVSTNW&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-15-_-506675

This item is available through Advanced Order. It will be shipped the week commencing 24/08/2015

This de Jager collection features three varieties of robust tulips that produce large flowers which resemble peonies. Create an outstanding display in your garden with these beautiful blooms.

Flowering period: April to May

Contains:
18 x peony tulips bulbs - six each of the following varieties

Varieties:
Angelique - a bold sturdy double-flowering tulip that's pale pink changing to apple blossom pink at the edges
Blue Diamond - a big tulip with extra layers of petals within the bowl. Strong-stemmed so is good in most situations, although with its heavy head it's best to avoid the windiest of spots. It has reddish purple flowers with more silvery edges to the petals
Dior - a tulip with a lovely shade of rich pink with a soft yellow base

Direct despatch: please allow 7 - 10 working days for delivery

Didn't this come up as a OTO before and the consensus was that August was FAR FAR to EARLY to be planting tulips as all of the GOOD gardeners and books say to WAIT until NOVEMBER to plant them due to a virus that I can't remember the name of but I am sure someone who knows about these things will be along shortly to put me out of my misery.
So buy if you must but remember where you have put them when it comes to the right time to plant them.
I will wait until my local garden centre has their spring bulb display and buy mine nearer the time.

There was a similar OTO a week or so ago. I purchased it, it was mini tulips not peony that time.

I have always planted my bulbs, tulips, daffs, or whatever, in September and they've mostly come up. Certainly all the De Jager ones have been beautiful. I'm not buying these, well maybe, hmmm advanced orders, no no no. Er yes. I do love my plants.

CC

I bought various bulbs last year but many haven't been planted as we've had a stressful time and other priorities. What should I do will they be alright to keep for next year or should we try planting them now? Any experts out there?

I bought various bulbs last year but many haven't been planted as we've had a stressful time and other priorities. What should I do will they be alright to keep for next year or should we try planting them now? Any experts out there?

If you leave them till next year they'll most likely shrivel & be no use come autumn. Best thing is to plant them in some pots, you can cram them in, very close together so you need fewer pots, keep the soil moist & try to keep them somewhere sheltered to keep the bulbs alive , they should flower later in spring. Then you can plant them later. The ground is too cold now, if it's anything like up here, to plant the bare bulbs out now.

If you plant in pots as per above it doesn't really matter if they don't flower this year as long as they grow leaves which will make food to produce the flowers within the bulb for next year.

I bought these in early autumn and planted them around November (I think).

As said they sold them too early but now it is far too late.

Put them in the ground/pots now if the ground isn't frozen. They'll come up but later than if you'd planted them in November. I read in a gardening magazine that you can plant tulips in December so a couple of weeks past that won't hurt.

Thanks everyone. We are south east so weather has been mild although more chilly in recent days. I'll get them planted this week. I think we have some suitable pots and soil. I knew I could rely on all of you for top advice!

With plants there can be a big difference between regional weather areas and generally this autumn and winter has been much milder but far wetter so it's pretty much just take it as it comes. Old rules kinda go out the window.

With plants there can be a big difference between regional weather areas and generally this autumn and winter has been much milder but far wetter so it's pretty much just take it as it comes. Old rules kinda go out the window.

How true that is.
It always tickles me when Monty Don, on Gardener's World, goes on about having difficult growing conditions at his place in Herefordshire, difficult weather & short growing season. He wants to try gardening up here on the high Pennines. Every day is windy & you can tell the season by what temperature the horizontal rain is!
We go down to the Cotswolds sometimes & pass near his place. They've still got veg, fruit & flowers growing when our garden has given up for the year weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back