Daniel Sandler.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lynnonthelake

Registered Shopper
I really enjoy watching DS,not that I have all of his products but he is a lovely man and Pippa looks fab today loving her dress and hair.
Lynn

Shame he doesn't provide ingredients for his products on his website or anywhere else.

Funny how people see things differently isn't it, I used to think DS was ok, but the more I watch him the more I see a master manipulator of women for profit. This "everything I do, I do to make women happy" thing of his really grates on me and now just find him smarmy. Not trying to be contrary, but also dislike Pipa's hair more and more the longer it gets, LOL. I really think it's putting years on her! Really lost patience with DS today when he tried to make us believe how vitally important it is to wear exactly the right mascara to the supermarket (his of course). Will also be interested to see what Pipa says next time she presents Bare Minerals or Bellapierre, having wholeheartedly agreed with DS that powder foundations age you and telling us all that "I only ever wear liquid foundation".

I'm highly suspicious of him, I can't quite put my finger on why. Much of his packaging is used by other brands, Models Prefer, Laura Geller, Jemma Kidd and high street brands (some of them pretty low-rent). This http://www.qvcuk.com/Daniel-Sandler...=201710-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-18-_-201710 "component", as Stacey would say has been used before. I suspect that many brands trawl around cosmetic manufacturers and trade shows buying their "formulations" off the peg. How many of these people know enough chemistry and human biology to mix their own cosmetics. Stipulating a particular shade of pink or a specific consistency isn't the same as blending chemicals from scratch. Nor is asking for "something moisturising/anti-oxidant/line-obscuring" to be added.

Daniel doesn't seem any better informed about make up application than my 16 year old daughter, but I'm sure he's chuckling all the way to the bank, the prices seem high to me, I could buy quite a nice foundation for £25 on the high street (I think I said this on the Laura Geller thread the other day).

Jude xx

I'm highly suspicious of him, I can't quite put my finger on why. Much of his packaging is used by other brands, Models Prefer, Laura Geller, Jemma Kidd and high street brands (some of them pretty low-rent). This http://www.qvcuk.com/Daniel-Sandler-Invisible-Radiance-Foundation-%26-Concealer-with.product.201710.html?sc=201710-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-18-_-201710 "component", as Stacey would say has been used before. I suspect that many brands trawl around cosmetic manufacturers and trade shows buying their "formulations" off the peg. How many of these people know enough chemistry and human biology to mix their own cosmetics. Stipulating a particular shade of pink or a specific consistency isn't the same as blending chemicals from scratch. Nor is asking for "something moisturising/anti-oxidant/line-obscuring" to be added.

Daniel doesn't seem any better informed about make up application than my 16 year old daughter, but I'm sure he's chuckling all the way to the bank, the prices seem high to me, I could buy quite a nice foundation for £25 on the high street (I think I said this on the Laura Geller thread the other day).

Jude xx

Completely agree with you Jude - I just don't get his prices either. I bought one of his products once and it dried up in the bottle with the lid on, but in any case it was nothing special. I agree with you too Scout - I too think he manipulates women and his act is nauseating to watch.

he has actually been around for a long time (maybe he just doesn't sell himself or his expertise very well ?), well over 20 years
and is part of the Urban Retreat at Harrods - together with other prestige brands like Creme de la Mer, Nars, Laura Mercier, La Prairie ...

here is a little blurb about him from the Harrods retreat :
Daniel Sandler
Master the art of makeup application

British Beauty Expert Daniel Sandler has been a makeup artist and respected leader in his field for over 20 years. Throughout this time Daniel has been consistently developing his expertise and innate skill for creating stunning looks. He is known for his ability to translate his vision into wearable looks for "real" women, and being able to show and explain just how easy makeup can be. Over the years, Daniel has worked on both sides of the Atlantic and all over Europe on high profile shoots for publications like Vogue and Bazaar, becoming accustomed to backstage work alongside major fashion designers for their fashion week shows, as well as a regular on national TV. Daniel continues to work with high profile clients and celebrities, getting them prepared for red carpet events, as well as the customers of the Urban Retreat Makeup Studio at Harrods.With an impressive list of celebrity clients including Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, Yasmin Le Bon, & Jade Jagger, Daniel has a sharp eye for fashion. He has also created make up looks for Gucci, Tommy Hilfiger and numerous British Fashion catwalk shows.

Daniel spent over two and a half years developing his self-titled product range, drawing from his experience as a professional makeup artist to create products that simplify makeup regimes for women of all ages and skintones. His product formulations are of the finest quality, are highly innovative and affordable, in accordance with Daniel's customary superior expectation. Daniel Sandler takes the guesswork out of makeup by focusing on perfecting skin tone, defining cheekbones and natural contours, and opening the eyes.

Completely agree with you Jude - I just don't get his prices either. I bought one of his products once and it dried up in the bottle with the lid on, but in any case it was nothing special. I agree with you too Scout - I too think he manipulates women and his act is nauseating to watch.

Yes I agree DJ, I don't know how Pipa could stand him fawning all over her ...he calls her Pipa gorgeous..pass the sick bucket.

There was a bit of a outrage some time back about some beauty brands. They are sort of one formula suits all, they are made by companies and the brand comes along and says, yes I'll have that and that and that etc and get their own brand name put on it. Many felt cheated.

The Urban Retreat thing, I am afraid is another con, some high end brand for sure. But we had an Urban Retreat stand in Boots some years back. Leighton Denny etc there. So saying oh we are in Harrods Urban Retreat sounds very niche high end thing. But there are two ranges the true high end and the cheaper ranges. I would class Daniel and even Leighton(sorry mate) as the latter. Roja Dove perfumer, has his own floor up in the Urban Retreat selling his brand at £100+ and vintage ranges. But he also has a much cheaper range of perfumes at £20 in with the other brands.

Somewhere I have the 2 perfumes Roja Dove brought to QVC, with bulb atomiser but I've never worn them, both turned out to be "scrubbers" (thnx for that term Donna!). The Urban Retreat offerings on QVC bombed, mind you they already sold some lines (Philip Kingsley, Leighton) under their named brands.

Here's a classic off the peg example:

http://www.qvcuk.com/Jemma-Kidd-Bio...01168.html?cm_sp=[Ljava.lang.String;@4aee4aee

http://www.qvcuk.com/ybf-Perfect-Fi...c=202342-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-5-_-202342

I had this originally in Models Prefer packaging!

Jude xx

Daniel is ok, they're all selling a dream.I can make you more beautiful,I can make you look 10lbs lighter by using this or that bronzer/blusher.
I know this will not be popular but i find Laura Geller one of the worst offenders of overhyping ;what i think is pretty average make up, with stories of handmade colours made by Italian artisans. To me it looks like dark and dated (runs off to hide)

Daniel is ok, they're all selling a dream.I can make you more beautiful,I can make you look 10lbs lighter by using this or that bronzer/blusher.
I know this will not be popular but i find Laura Geller one of the worst offenders of overhyping ;what i think is pretty average make up, with stories of handmade colours made by Italian artisans. To me it looks like dark and dated (runs off to hide)

After reading all the fab reviews I bought the Laura Geller freshly brewed collection when on easy pay. I really don't like any of it, and the sponge brush thing is awful, so scratchy. *runs off and hides in the Same cupboard as LE Lover *

After reading all the fab reviews I bought the Laura Geller freshly brewed collection when on easy pay. I really don't like any of it, and the sponge brush thing is awful, so scratchy. *runs off and hides in the Same cupboard as LE Lover *

I think we're going to be lonely in the cupboard.

Have to confess that I've been using Laura Geller B&B for quite a few years now and my only complaint is that it makes a right dusty mess everywhere but I do like the stuff and find it easy to apply. Just wish she would introduce refills.

I remember spending a huge collection of Boots points on Urban Retreat hair products and being terribly disappointed by them. Of course, I probably have totally unrealistic expectations when it comes to hair products anyway! I agree with Donna that people were falling for the Harrods hype.

I really dislike LG B&B,so I hardly ever buy the TSVs at least she does keep reminding us where it is made as I'm sure others aren't keen to say China or Korea.
Lynn

There was a bit of a outrage some time back about some beauty brands. They are sort of one formula suits all, they are made by companies and the brand comes along and says, yes I'll have that and that and that etc and get their own brand name put on it. Many felt cheated.

The Urban Retreat thing, I am afraid is another con, some high end brand for sure. But we had an Urban Retreat stand in Boots some years back. Leighton Denny etc there. So saying oh we are in Harrods Urban Retreat sounds very niche high end thing. But there are two ranges the true high end and the cheaper ranges. I would class Daniel and even Leighton(sorry mate) as the latter. Roja Dove perfumer, has his own floor up in the Urban Retreat selling his brand at £100+ and vintage ranges. But he also has a much cheaper range of perfumes at £20 in with the other brands.

Hi Donna, thanks for your comments, can you be more specific please with regard to what you mean by 'con' ?
Can you define what makes someone like Daniel Sandler a 'con' and give an example of a similar make up artist with their own range who is not a 'con' - genuinely trying to understand where you are coming from ....

regarding Roija Dove, as i have been interested in scent/essential oils/perfumery/Grasse/memory etc for a very long time,
i have had the pleasure of meeting Roija some years back and also had a class with him
he certainly sparkles with passion and knowledge about scents/perfumery/history and he also a bit of a performer, enjoying the theatre of it all (and ordering his handsome toyboy PA/bag carrier as part of the show) and knows how to sell himself - he said that he was the only Professor of Parfume (i think he said in the world, but he might have meant in the UK) and i never researched what this 'title' entails exactly and what might or might not be behind it - to me all part of the theatre which does not take away from what i have learned from him and his infectious love of the history of fine scents...

p.s. jsut in case, as i am new here, peeps won't necessarily have a feel yet where i am coming from, and the way the written word can be read in many ways,
for the avoidance of doubt, i have not just ridden into town and trying to start a fight - honest ! :heart:

lilith was I mean by con, perhaps not the correct term. Is the, "Oh we are in Harrods Urban Retreat." Makes sound as if the brands are all the same very high end niche exclusive products. I am sure Daniel is a really nice guy in real life, but as I said not all the Urban Retreat ranges are the same. Some of the companies, such as Roja made a cheap and cheerful duo of fragrances for them. But people hear the name Roja Dove and think, 'Oh his perfumes sell for £££££££s!'. As someone earlier said the packaging etc and even products can be made in the same factory but use cheaper materials. Daniel always seems to get the available at Harrods Urban Retreat tag, which does make it sounds as if his range is exclusive to them. But it is available at a number online places.

You could take as an example Kevyn Aucoin(now back in the UK at SpaceNK), yet when available before it was only Selfridges in London and Manchester. So saying Kevyn Aucoin at Selfridges was exclusive to them.

Think the story that Chanel and Bojour(sp) are the same. No, Bojour(sp), made makeup way before Chanel ever came into being. They might well be made at the same factory but the ingredients and quality are very different. But yet you will get an SA tell you hand on heart tell you Chanel make Bojour(sp).

I have meet Roja on a number of occasions, lovely man as you say and very passionate. He was the Professor of Parfum, a title given to him when he worked for Guerlain for many years. His real name is Roger, but they misspelt it at an airport and he liked it so much he kept the spelling.:biggrin: He was actually a makeup artist for them but had a passion for perfume, so they let him become involved in that as long as he continued with the makeup. Roja left Guerlain when the last family member Jean Paul sold his stock to LVMH, making them the sole owners of the brand.

Latest posts

Back