Coalbolt blue??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

salabim

Registered Shopper
I've always pronounced it coe - bolt blue. Am I wrong? I hear coalbolt so often now, perhaps it's acceptable. I'm on the cusp of giving up correcting the kids at school for saying bored of, am I going to have to stop raising my eyebrows every time Jill Franks says coalbolt too?

I've always pronounced it coe - bolt blue. Am I wrong? I hear coalbolt so often now, perhaps it's acceptable. I'm on the cusp of giving up correcting the kids at school for saying bored of, am I going to have to stop raising my eyebrows every time Jill Franks says coalbolt too?

You are right. Whoever says "coal-bolt" is wrong. The word is "cobalt" - there is no L before the B.

Stick to your guns, keep correcting your children as I do (not your kids, of course!) and never assume Jill Franks knows anything about pronunciation (which she probably calls "pronounciation"). I don't dislike the woman as much as many do on here, but her speech is not good: paintent for patent, anythink for anything and now, you say, coalbolt for cobalt. Grrrrr...

In the same vein, can anyone tell me whether it is correct to say"bored with" or "bored of". I say "with", but is it correct? Ta.

Here you go Gem:

Bored by, of, or with?
Which of these expressions should you use: is one of them less acceptable than the others?

Do you ever get bored with eating out all the time?
Delegates were bored by the lectures.
He grew bored of his day job.

The first two constructions, bored with and bored by, are the standard ones. The third, bored of, is more recent than the other two and it’s become extremely common. In fact, the Oxford English Corpus contains almost twice as many instances of bored of than bored by. It represents a perfectly logical development of the language, and was probably formed on the pattern of expressions such as tired of or weary of. Nevertheless, some people dislike it and it’s not fully accepted in standard English.

Bored with is definitely correct. Bored of is used so much now especially by young people that it has become acceptable I think. I'll never say it though

bored WITH! drives me barmy hearing "bored of ", "should of" etc etc, even once on the telly there was some kind of ad which asked "are you bored of ironing" - I'd be yelling "bored WITH - bored WITH, you moron" - yes I got a little bit cross with that...!

I wish some of the presenters would pronounce words correctly. Some of them remind me of Hilda Ogden.

It's the same with 'should of' instead of 'should have'.... that really bugs me.

Plus, JF's 'somethink' is a bit annoying as well - it just shows a clear lack of understanding of the basics.

It's the same with 'should of' instead of 'should have'.... that really bugs me.

Plus, JF's 'somethink' is a bit annoying as well - it just shows a clear lack of understanding of the basics.

Oh no! Don't get me started on that one!

I love this forum! Although my spelling is sometimes "orf" it is fingers and thumbs on my phone and being tired. I was raised to use the English language properly rather than "to boldly go".

If something bores you- you are bored BY it if it is doing it TO or AT you.
You are bored "with it"-if you are doing something WITH it.

As for "bored of"- my instinct tells me that is wrong but I can't explain why. It is bad grammar, a bit like "to boldly go"

How about bought and brought. The misuse of bought makes me absolutely fume. I know, I'm very anal!

The misuse of then and than by so many bothers me. Don't understand why correct use of these two words is so difficult.

Their and there, your and you're -the list goes on. As an ex research editor misspelt words jump out at me. If I am reading a book and there is a spelling mistake I can't finish reading the book as I switch into proof reading mode, and as for text messaging.......g8!

The misuse of then and than by so many bothers me. Don't understand why correct use of these two words is so difficult.

I don't think kids are taught grammar as such these days - in my day we had verbs, adverbs, nouns & adjectives etc etc not to mention clauses!

The BBC get my goat too.

They continually refer to ... and now over to our "Ireland / Spain / France correspondent" the grammar is so bad, but of course its incorrect to say ... over to our "Irish / Spanish / French" because the correspondent is no doubt British, BUT, surely its correct to say...........

and now over to our "correspondent in Ireland / Spain / France " ................ thats how my teachers back int he 1950's and 60's would have taught us.

Equally we were never taught to start a sentence with AND, BUT or BECAUSE, but it appears to be the norm now, just look at any article in any newspaper and you will see it.

I agree with all the above and also hate bad spelling and grammar, though mine is certainly not perfect and I do know that it's natural for any language to develop and change. One of my bugbears at the moment is using a verb in the singular with a plural noun, i.e. there IS only two left. It's used more and more and you even see it written frequently. Do schools really not teach any grammar anymore? :angry:

Latest posts

Back