Clogau cock up

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Black Hills used to be on QVC UK quite a lot and I think even had a TSV???? I even used to see it in local jewellers too, only one in Belfast. Then after 9/11 the guy (he was blond and quite short) suddenly stopped coming over and the range vanished for years.

As for the Clogau stuff never been interested in it. If it is marked as 14ct then it is aimed at the US market as that is the lowest gold they have ever sold. All Diamonique gold now rare as hen's teeth was 14ct only.

Last edited:
maybe the pieces made for qvc are made in china ...not the clogau one made for the shop ...any ideas???

Last edited:
I have several Clogau pieces and will admit that the weight and quality has always been consistent but THIS news horrifies me.

I have always been aware that the Welsh gold content is but a mere trace which in manufacturer's terms means little more than gold dust. It is not the rose gold or the yellow gold that it is in but is just added to the mix so to speak.

When I first saw the Black Hills range I thought how much it resembled Clogau but stuck with Clogau as I thought it was Welsh through and through.

I am finished with them now that I have heard this news.

They have shot themselves in the foot by farming work out to China.

And where is that nice dark haired chappie Julian Roberts but not related? I liked him.

(Chunners and mutters to herself very disgruntled indeed)

It's definitly changed.

I have two items. One is a Clogau gold pendant in the shape of a carved Welsh love spoon that my husband bought me, not from QVC, a few years ago. Just part of it is Welsh gold, as they say.
But I also have a bangle that my grandfather gave to my grandmother when they were engaged just before the first world war. Inside it is inscribed from A to M ...1913. That is pure Welsh gold as he was Welsh & had bought it especially for her. It is an unusual colour, a sort of rose but not as pink as the modern rose gold, with engraved flowers, not raised & added on like the Clogau ones sometimes are, entwined round the outside.

maybe the pieces made for qvc are made in china ...not the clogau one made for the shop ...any ideas???

No its all made in China the jewellry workshops in North Wales are closed down and gone, between us we have quite a lot of Clogau as a family my dad was originally from a village very close to the mine and whenever I wear it i am reminded of him, ours were all bought when it was still made in North Wales.

There are some really nice pieces in the new collection and some quite reasonably priced pieces as well. QVC never seem to get the more modern pieces nor the silver and gold ones some of which are really nice.
Welsh gold is just like any other gold, yellow! Copper is added to make it Rose gold although the area it was mined in also had a lot of copper mines. The only difference between Welsh Gold and any other Gold as far as I am concerned is that it is no longer mined so very limited in supply. I would buy another Clogau piece, in fact I am seriously tempted by some of the new collection but I wouldnt buy it from QVC because they donot offer a good choice.

I'm lucky enough to have inherited a ring that was made from gold panned in the Dakota gold rush. It's rose and green gold in a vine leaf pattern. It was made in the US and is stamped "Dakota".

I'd never seen green gold anywhere else but I am pretty sure the Black Hills range had some green gold in a few of the pieces.

I personally love rose gold. It's my absolute favourite and it's so lovely against most skin tones.

Hadn't realised the Black Hilla range had disappeared from QVC. Some nice pieces in that range.

Latest posts

Back