Clare on the cooking show

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think it all depends how it is said. These sort of endearments are second nature from people in the North ofEngland and I'm sure they would be flabbergasted to know it offended. I don't mind it but don't like the Eastenders type of darling.

I think it all depends how it is said. These sort of endearments are second nature from people in the North ofEngland and I'm sure they would be flabbergasted to know it offended. I don't mind it but don't like the Eastenders type of darling.

'Ello, Treacle! :mysmilie_51:

Yes I know I am from 'The north' and call people love but when told 'Listen love or even Listen Madam' in a stern manner it gets my goat. Manners cost nothing and my motto is speak to people how you would like to be spoken too.

Not to me! Different parts of the country people do use hon, hen, pet, me duck, and more... but not everyone does it and not everyone takes it in their stride being "endeared" by total strangers. I rarely use them or have them used on me unless by my closest circle of friends and family.

Also, we've suddenly turned into a nation of 'kissers'. Why ? its seems to be de rigeur now to hug people you barely know and fight for air space to kiss on the cheek. I tend to hold back and recoil when people other than family start lunging towards me with lips puckered up. Its a disease that's rapidly caught on from work colleagues to the unknown and 'never met before' friends of friends. Whatever happened to the handshake ?

I think kissing is probably more hygienic than shaking hands... most people don't wash their hands properly, and between washes are touching goodness knows what... and don't get me started on the ones who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom...!!!

Not to me! Different parts of the country people do use hon, hen, pet, me duck, and more... but not everyone does it and not everyone takes it in their stride being "endeared" by total strangers. I rarely use them or have them used on me unless by my closest circle of friends and family.

I work for a local authority in an Adult Social Care team and we are absolutely forbidden to address our customers with terms of endearment. This is because a survey was taken and it was the number one hate, especially from older service users, who said they found it patronising. I always just ask people how they prefer to be addressed, most people like to use their first name, others their formal title.

Some people might think Claire is posh with posh references...

I learned a lesson once. (one that I actually listened to) :p

There are the posh, and the not so posh. One is gained status through heritage of birthright 'Lady Wonk deTilly d'ava-big-land' whom might be labelled as posh, but in reality, quite usual, apart from maybe quirky out fits and mis-matched stockings. Then there are the people whom aspire to these Camillas. Women and men whom believe they have to have this lingo as part of their vocab (just add a 'Y' at the end of everything) Scrummy, Mummy, Yummy, Chummy, and training their voices into 'speaking clock' mode.

Although I cannot comment on Claire, there are A LOT of people in life whom enjoy creating their own fake status. (Hyacinth Bucket types) People whom are to frightened to be themselves, or, if they are themselves, they dont feel very significant or important.

I would guess that if I did spend a weekend as Claires guest at her home, or her 'New England style mansion dahhlin', it would be very usual and she would make a great host, even though she might be fed up reading my night shirt, with its logo 'free pussy here' over breakfast

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back