Claire Sutton

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh lighten up ! I didn't intend for everyone to go on the defensive about how they look when picking up the kids ! I made my own observations; and as for times changing for the better, well, I don't think its 'outdated' Weathergirl to mention that in the 50's we went to school on our own, some of us from infant age, and came home on our own without the need of parents picking us up until we were early teens.

I am confused when did I comment about kids going to and from school on their own in the 50's? I was referring to the way mum's dress on the school run! I think it's better these days when people can pretty much wear what they like. And please don't tell me to lighten up. I was not being uptight. I was simply responding to your post.

I have to say, If I am interested in the product she is 'presenting' I tend to turn on the sound, as I cannot bear the voice and and the 'jumpy' hair.

We used to go to school on our own ...orange arm bands to light the way in the winter ....(we were evicted from a hole in the ground ) ...sorry I digress that's a monty Python sketch lol ....desperate times and desperate measures.....my friend has a financial adviser visit and she said how gorgeous he was ......she went all gooey lol ... And she bought what he offered ( oh matron ) ....
Nice one, May, I remember the orange armbands, for crossing the road! (I was at school through the 70s) There were a lot fewer cars around, in those days.

Nice one, May, I remember the orange armbands, for crossing the road! (I was at school through the 70s) There were a lot fewer cars around, in those days.

Yes - though mine were yellow with the reflective strip through the middle, and they were always getting lost! Of course with all the power cuts and the 3 day week and all - which as a kid I thought was a great fun adventure (mum and dad getting out paraffin lamps, and the camping gas stove, and doling out candles in candlestick holders). Must have been an absolute nightmare for all the adults though.

What about cars with bench front seats and no seatbelts? My fave car my dad had was like that - these days, I would be horrified, but it was quite normal to be in the front of a car with no seatbelt... and one time I was in the front of a mini - sat on a normal household cushion placed across the handbrake - on the motorway! Times have changed, and while I've fond memories of the times, there's no doubt things are safer now.

Your memory of the bike rings true for me - but also started me thinking about whether bikes could be something QVC could sell? Maybe have a more "sport and leisure" department, rather than just the ever-narrowing range of departments and choices they have at present?

Yes - though mine were yellow with the reflective strip through the middle, and they were always getting lost! Of course with all the power cuts and the 3 day week and all - which as a kid I thought was a great fun adventure (mum and dad getting out paraffin lamps, and the camping gas stove, and doling out candles in candlestick holders). Must have been an absolute nightmare for all the adults though.

Yes always went off (the power) when watching a comedy show lolol ....we thought it was fab but as you say must have been a nightmare for adults ..and people with babies ...and all the problems that can befall us as humans ....

I remember once when we had a power cut trying to switch light on to find the candles. Doh.

If there was a power cut today, you'd have DF knocking on your door selling you some Bella Notte, imagine that! opening the door to find her there wagging her finger at you demanding you buy two, buy three.............. She'd scare the bejeezus out of everyone, the cat wouldn't out from under the stairs for days! :mysmilie_13:

I live near a primary school and a pre-school. I have to say that I wouldn't know what a yummy mummy looks like as these ****** women never get out of their cars that are taking up not only the road but the pavement too. They just sit there using their mobiles with all the doors open. Ooh. Now you've got me going!

I live near a primary school and a pre-school. I have to say that I wouldn't know what a yummy mummy looks like as these ****** women never get out of their cars that are taking up not only the road but the pavement too. They just sit there using their mobiles with all the doors open. Ooh. Now you've got me going!

Yup, their Mercedes and 4 x 4s causing a hazard and hey, I live in a deprived area! Deprived of what may I ask - certainly not money.

CC

mml, they could employ Peter Simon to present the bicycles hour - he's now IW's resident bike expert (please, keep it clean, people!). "Not only the saddle....not only the Lycra shorts.......buy it, just buy it, ladies"... In fact, why not have him on demonstrating the bikes whilst also selling the Holy Stones crud (sorry, exquisite) jewellery? Multi-tasking or what?

Latest posts

Back