Card making: A cautionary tale.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
I never understood the appeal of card making but this is something that my auntie is into in a big way. She spends a lot of money buying the bits to make them for all the family at Christmas because she really enjoys crafting. The cards she makes are very nice too - she clearly puts a lot of effort into getting them to look so professional.

However, it seems as though there is a sting in the tail and her efforts are going unrewarded. One member of the family received one of these cards this year, to which his response was, "Is [auntie] so hard up this year that she's had to resort to making cheap home made cards?" Poor auntie was actually reduced to tears over this as she had put some much time, money and effort into them. It's sad because she's now said that she's not going to make her own again in future. It upset her to think that others thought they were cheap and just binned them. Do people think this because there is too much of it about now? She does enjoy other crafts too but there doesn't seem to be so much choice now.

I would love to make cards.I really don't have the time however - plus when I do watch the odd craft hour on qvc which is not often,I admit - they don't seem to really tell you how to get started.

I'm afraid also that I would put all this time and effort into them - I can't imagine its a cheap hobby? - for them just to binned like "ordinary" cards - because to be fair,you can't keep every card that everyones ever sent you.......................can you?!

Lots of folk do not understand the effort that goes into making a card and the expense and sadly do think that they are a cheap thing to produce.

I make cards and accept that som people will not appretiate my efforts, but I have enjoyed making them and feel I have given them something more than just going to a shop and buying one, even if they do end up in the bin :(

I think that is a horrible thing to say about a hand-made card that is made from love specially for some-one else.

Everyone that I make cards for loves them.

Tell her not to take it to heart and if he says this again to respond with "well I could have bought you card that is 99p and hundreds of thousands of other people will get too but I thought I would make something special, but next time I will simply get you a card that most other people will be getting" That should make him feel like he made her feel.

Handmade cards are not cheap to make and take alot of effort to produce.

well i love receiving hand made cards. I always feel a lot of time, thought and effort has gone into them. I think it's far more personal than a manufactued card.

sad reflection of our time really where homemade effort is simply not appreciated. My aunt makes cakes for peoples weddings/celebrations, and does a good business out of it. When it got time for her own niece to get married she was horrified when someone suggested her aunt shounld make the cake as she percieved it to be home made. So off she went and paid £750 for a cake (!) that was ok, but was not eaten by most and was not as good as the cakes her aunt makes!BUT: it was "professionally made"

sad reflection of our time really where homemade effort is simply not appreciated. My aunt makes cakes for peoples weddings/celebrations, and does a good business out of it. When it got time for her own niece to get married she was horrified when someone suggested her aunt shounld make the cake as she percieved it to be home made. So off she went and paid £750 for a cake (!) that was ok, but was not eaten by most and was not as good as the cakes her aunt makes!BUT: it was "professionally made"

:mysmilie_61:

I think handmade cards are lovely but I don't make them and would not buy them as it seems such a waste of someones time and effort to just throw them in the bin for recycling. As someone said you just can't keep all the cards you recieve no matter how sentimental you feel about them.

I too am fortunate that most of the peeps that I make cards for love them and keep them (my mother has a couple on permanant display), but sadly (and the point the op was making) is that there are folk who just do not get it.

£750 for a cake? Are brides that stupid nowadays they think spending more on themselves for the big day is going to be a bit of perfection? I don't even want to understand why they spend so much money on a single use dress.

Back to the OP, it is sad that a certain generation don't understand the value of having something made. It's down to the cheapness and availability of things which makes comments like that commonplace and the loss in the ability of skills the older generation can't pass on. I have to say that children nowadays aren't taught to discover how to build things when it is so much easier to get one off the shelf and then buy another when it breaks rather than fix.

I never understood the appeal of card making but this is something that my auntie is into in a big way. She spends a lot of money buying the bits to make them for all the family at Christmas because she really enjoys crafting. The cards she makes are very nice too - she clearly puts a lot of effort into getting them to look so professional.

However, it seems as though there is a sting in the tail and her efforts are going unrewarded. One member of the family received one of these cards this year, to which his response was, "Is [auntie] so hard up this year that she's had to resort to making cheap home made cards?" Poor auntie was actually reduced to tears over this as she had put some much time, money and effort into them. It's sad because she's now said that she's not going to make her own again in future. It upset her to think that others thought they were cheap and just binned them. Do people think this because there is too much of it about now? She does enjoy other crafts too but there doesn't seem to be so much choice now.

By the sounds of it he's very lucky he got sent a card.
Seems like the a "Nephew" you'd love to send a lovely card to - not. :mysmilie_11:

I'm a soppy old thing. I keep all cards (and postcards) that have been either made for me, or specifically chosen (you can always tell). I love the idea that someone has spent time making or shopping for a card with me in mind, it would be like throwing away a kiss. A future problem for my daughter to resolve I'm afraid - lol. I'm happy to recycle those that have clearly been done as just another duty card out of an assorted box.

How very rude and ungrateful! :(
I am always very appreciative of time and effort put into making lovely hand made cards - and I also know very well that they are not necessarily a 'cheap' option.
And having received one from the lovely yazrose this year, I can certainly vouch for the quality and professional appearance of hers. :mysmilie_1844:

How very rude and ungrateful! :(
I am always very appreciative of time and effort put into making lovely hand made cards - and I also know very well that they are not necessarily a 'cheap' option.
And having received one from the lovely yazrose this year, I can certainly vouch for the quality and professional appearance of hers. :mysmilie_1844:

Thank you xxxxx

How rude is that guy????!!!! There's nothing cheap about crafting! or about taking the time and trouble to make something lovely for someone rather than just buying a generic pack of greetings cards in a shop.

My auntie is big into card-making too and hers is the only Christmas and Birthday card I really wait for. It's even more exciting to see what she's been up to with the glitter gun than open the cards with cash inside them! :D

The only downside is that I always think she must be terribly bored and slightly disappointed with the mass produced ones that we send her.

Firstly I wanted to say 'Don't send that ungrateful bugger a card next year!'
Card making is an expensive hobby, which a lot of peeps don't realise.. Ive made a few in my time and they've always been much appreciated.. Maybe the trick is to be selective in who to send these special cards to, people you know who will love them.. As for the others, pick out some really naff, ziggy cards (you know the ones, a closeup pic of a big bauble or similar) & send 'em one of these cards.. Then they will probably moan that 'auntie' has sent them a naff card! Grrrr.. Some people just don't deserve anything nice :mysmilie_11:

Shouldn't people just be pleased to receive any card that someone has taken the time and trouble to send? Sounds like Auntie should find herself a new use for her pokey tool and then a new nephew.
I make cards...i do it for my own pleasure and apart from some of my family and friends who also craft and look at my creations with an expert eye, I actually don't care what folk think of them :)

PS for non crafters, a pokey tool is a short metal rod with a very sharp point....eye wateringly sharp if you get my drift....

Latest posts

Back