Can't believe this

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

bags

Registered Shopper
Can't believe the sell of the Liz Earle EDP.
Julia has just read three reviews and said she could go on reading lots more what the 1stars ones.

:tongue2:

I feel sorry for the people who don't have access to the internet or are not internet savvy, they wouldn't be reading all the bad reviews on the LE Perfume (& the amount being sent back!)
People watching the show with Liz & Julia would have no idea of the problems many people have had.. Apparently, everyone loved it - they even read out the reviews to prove it - what about the very high percentage that gave a bad review? :cheeky:

As per just, 51 pages of reviews to date.
If you sort the order with highest reviews first.
Some reviews are two stars not because of the item but the packaging.
But by page 32 the one stars start.
The only thing is you have to give an item one star if you want to leave a review.

Just doesn't seem good to me and the presentation including item reviews tonight seemed a huge misrepretation of the review system.
Their use seemed to present that the item was well liked in it's reviews.

:flower:

I agree. I have been saved from many a disaster by reading the reviews first. Similarly, I have sometimes been encouraged to try something. I do think that perfume is such an individual thing that it is mad to buy online w/o sniffing it first, even with the MBG. I was once duped by Tova looking particularly gorgeous in a peach ensemble, and telling the story of a woman who had phoned in to relate that she had been stopped by a man who worked in a plant nursery, who wanted to know what perfume she was wearing. Apparently, he had been so smitten that he had presented her with a rose bush costing £40! Well, I dialled Q-cut on speed dial and managed to buy some Tova signature before it ran out. There was almost no fragrance to it at all...and I checked with hubby and others who all agreed they could smell nothing. Returned w/i 30 days and only later read all the reviews about how Tova's fragrance quality has declined since QVC bought her out.

I was tempted by the LE fragrance, but luckily abstained. Will have a sniff in John Lewis.:cheeky:

I feel a Trading Standards / Off Com review of tonights presentation with the use of reviews on this item, is required.
When it was presented that the reviews showed buyers in reviews liked the item.
When what really appears is that over half of the reviews shows buyers gave the item one star which is the lowest they can give.

I bought it after testing it at the Kings road store and love it-not everyone hates it. I hate almost every other perfume that people have listed in the discussions there have been on this-in fact there are only 5 perfumes I currently like and Liz's is one of them. It IS very personal but I am starting to resent the fact that so manypeople are being nasty in a way that is starting to make people who like it feel like freaks! I have smelt some truly awful 'top selling' perfumes on colleagues over the years but wouldn't have dream of telling them as I know it is so personal. My daughter loves the Liz earle but mostly wears 'Daisy'-when I smell it on her,it just smells like garlic to me!
I do fully agree however,that they SHOULD NOT misrepresent the review system,as that is what it is there for-to allow the viewer to make an informed choice based on other people's opinions. Maybe you should send an email to QVC about this? I would be happy to if I had watched and seen this as it is total misrepresentation and should really be referred to trading standards.

I competely understand scent is open to personal taste, and not everyone is going to like the same smell.
Plus Liz did stress that it would not smell the same on everyone.
But not to represent a true reflection of the reviews I felt was very misleading.
I feel it would have been better not to mention them at all, rather than to read positive and not address negative points.

I noticed a different sales technique for this perfume.It's obvious to me that Ms Earle will have read a lot of the reviews and yes it is misleading for Julia to just highlight the ones which "gush" about the scent.

For me the subtext of Liz's sales pitch was that you don't have a sophisticated nose/palette etc,etc if you can't understand how amazing this is and that you philistines had better get with the programme,lol.

Having said that I still havn't smelt it yet,so can't judge,by rights I should like it as it has things like vetiver,sandalwood and citrusy notes,I love these smells but maybe the combo of this and many other things is just too much for people.

I know one thing,the nano-second I smell it,i'll know whether it's for me,I don't need time for it to develop yadda,yadda.I just know what I like and dislike instantly and my nose has served me well thus far.

I've bought it and I like it so we can be freaks together SuziQ! However perfume is very personal and of course not everyone will like the same thing.

What I couldn't believe yesterday was how much perfume the model was spraying on herself, she must have used about half a bottle!

What I couldn't believe yesterday was how much perfume the model was spraying on herself, she must have used about half a bottle!

I agree with everything everyone has said about the presentation so far. I admit I watched it wondering how they were going to refer to the reviews and whether anyone would phone in about it. I was really surprised at how they presented the item as I expected them to say something along the lines of "not everyone will like the perfume", when really I just felt patronised for not liking it. I am sophisticated enough to appreciate a "proper perfume" given that I wear C****l everyday, I just don't like lavender, which is all I could smell when I tested it in John Lewis.

I appreciate that they are there to sell but still c'mon!!

Oh yes, and the poor model who was spritzing herself with it as if it was instant boost! Whether you love the perfume or not no one could have sprayed that much. I came to the conclusion that she only spritzed every so often and wasn't really spraying all that much.

I was really surprised at how they presented the item as I expected them to say something along the lines of "not everyone will like the perfume", when really I just felt patronised for not liking it. I am sophisticated enough to appreciate a "proper perfume" given that I wear C****l everyday, I just don't like lavender, which is all I could smell when I tested it in John Lewis.
I appreciate that they are there to sell but still c'mon!!

Absolutely agree with you katyd, very patronisng indeed, especially regarding perfume which is such an individual thing anyway, quite ridiculous to try the 'unsophisticated oik' guilt trip approach (no matter how subtle! lo!), very rude!

I still haven't tried it myself........gah! Will just have to order some I think, as curiousity is really getting the better of me now! :thinking2:

I noticed a different sales technique for this perfume.It's obvious to me that Ms Earle will have read a lot of the reviews and yes it is misleading for Julia to just highlight the ones which "gush" about the scent.

For me the subtext of Liz's sales pitch was that you don't have a sophisticated nose/palette etc,etc if you can't understand how amazing this is and that you philistines had better get with the programme,lol.

Having said that I still havn't smelt it yet,so can't judge,by rights I should like it as it has things like vetiver,sandalwood and citrusy notes,I love these smells but maybe the combo of this and many other things is just too much for people.

I know one thing,the nano-second I smell it,i'll know whether it's for me,I don't need time for it to develop yadda,yadda.I just know what I like and dislike instantly and my nose has served me well thus far.

I notice this a lot on the beauty shows especially, they imply that if you're using 'something from the corner shop or supermarket' then you're somehow a lesser person/shopper because of course you should be buying a presteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegious shower gel/day cream/foundation whatever. Not a presteeeeeegious one from counters in department stores though (god forbid, they're still technically High St), but no, only from QVC who are there to tell us how to be better people and buy the correct products so we don't have to feel like right muckers bathing in what is essentially washing up liquid. Course it's nice to trest oneself occasionally and if you feel better using Molton Brown than Boots then of course it's your prerogative but I hate this sniffy implication that you can only buy certain brands otherwise you're some sort of commoner.

*rant over* :tongue2:

Tx

QVC do this a lot - only read out positive reviews, even when a product has mixed or mainly negative reviews. It seems very disingenuous, especially when { in my experience } they often don't post negative reviews anyway , so if a product has any negative reviews at all, I always consider they are just the tip of the iceberg and there will be other negatives that were bumped for one reason or another.

I think they should make a trial size bottle of the LE frangrance, I'm very curious to smell it now. In fact I think they should do that with all scents they sell on QVC. That way you wouldn't have to spend £40 on a bottle of perfume just to try it. I wonder why they haven't thought of doing that?

I
Oh yes, and the poor model who was spritzing herself with it as if it was instant boost! Whether you love the perfume or not no one could have sprayed that much. I came to the conclusion that she only spritzed every so often and wasn't really spraying all that much.

I wondered whether she was really spraying it, they always do that with Philosophy perfumes and that gets on my wick as well!

Last night Julia was saying that it is similar to a "French perfume in a blue bottle". By my reckoning, they mean Christian Dior's Midnight Poison.

I think they should make a trial size bottle of the LE frangrance, I'm very curious to smell it now. In fact I think they should do that with all scents they sell on QVC. That way you wouldn't have to spend £40 on a bottle of perfume just to try it. I wonder why they haven't thought of doing that?

Totally agree with you, this is how any one would purchase perfume from the "dreaded high street" and indeed it is how we are advised to make up our minds about what is often an expensive buy (or "considered purchase" in qvc speak). The advice when buying a new fragrance is always to test it first and to let is settle over several hours to smell what the different notes are and how they respond to your own individual skin chemistry. £40 is a lot of money to essentially gamble with, tho I guess you could send it back. However if you can test a scent and live with it over a while I am sure it would cut down on the return rate.

Latest posts

Back