Can someone please tell me the colour of the sky!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
I was watching the Today's TSV and one of the sentiment bracelets was the lyrics from 'you are my sunshine'

The sentiment says 'gray' (so I know from that it is American), but that aside I have always sung (yes painful as it sounds), 'blue'.

Is this just the Morcombe and Wise version or is this the actual lyrics, I just find conflicting on the 'inter-web'. Can anyone give me a definitive (or thereabouts) answer!

Thanks!

"you make me happy when skys are grey" is that what you mean?

Always been grey for me.

If it was blue, you wouldn't need cheering up?

"you make me happy when skys are grey" is that what you mean?

Always been grey for me.

If it was blue, you wouldn't need cheering up?

No because in British English when you are feeling 'blue' you are sad!
Sorry not trying to contradict and I appreciate that it is probably me who has got it wrong and just trying to convince myself that all this time I haven't been [wrong], but it is forever engrHello,

With regards to the referencing I have only previous undertaken level 2 courses via the distance learning medium (apart from my Open University which was of course different altogether) and didn’t think that at this level that we needed to reference in the ‘academic way’. I will have to appreciate this ‘step-change’, and going forward will remember to reference. In my defence though because the assignment question stated the ‘assignment criteria’ the question was referring to I thought that unless I was using something instead of that, that only then were I to make reference to my resources (hence the questions that I passed were because I referenced to the external sources that I accessed (though strictly speaking I should have probably put the ‘date accessed’).

I am going to have to get my head back into ‘academic’ mode, as I registered on a ‘whim’ because I was ‘bored’ (don’t take this as I am not going to put the effort in as I am doing, honestly).

I will shut up now as the foot I have just shot is bleeding and needs attending to (this is of course metaphorically speaking based on the above paragraph)!

I hope that I have done enough and if I haven’t, then and I know this may make me sound like I am not making an effort (and I can assure that I am and want to pass this course), but is it possible that you could e-mail me, or direct me to a website that indicates exactly what you need with regards to referencing so that I will know going forward.

Regards and sorry for the bout of ‘verbal diarrhoea’

Adele
ained into my sawdust (in the same place where other people have brains), that it is 'blue'!

Sorry, but you know when you have a 'irritant'! (though people that know me say that I am a constant irritant, I fair, really don't know what they mean! I mean really the cheek of it!):mysmilie_5: (the smilie is me to a 'tee'!

The sentiment of the song has the singer sad that their loved one isn't in their arms. So I think it's grey because the "sunshine" would make a grey sky blue, whereas if the singer already has blue skies it may be already sunny i.e. not feeling too bad. However the word "blue" is also associated with feeling low, so that could work too. But, bottom line: "grey" rhymes with "away". :mysmilie_59:

I suppose being written by an American the original lyrics would say "gray". I'm glad to see the bracelet packaging reads "grey" not "gray"; it used to annoy me when craft sets from the US selling on Q here had American spellings, I also returned a set to Ideal World which had a mis-laced apostrophe. OK designers don't have to be good at grammar but you'd think it was proof-read before it went to print! :mysmilie_19:

The sentiment of the song has the singer sad that their loved one isn't in their arms. So I think it's grey because the "sunshine" would make a grey sky blue, whereas if the singer already has blue skies it may be already sunny i.e. not feeling too bad. However the word "blue" is also associated with feeling low, so that could work too. But, bottom line: "grey" rhymes with "away". :mysmilie_59:

I suppose being written by an American the original lyrics would say "gray". I'm glad to see the bracelet packaging reads "grey" not "gray"; it used to annoy me when craft sets from the US selling on Q here had American spellings, I also returned a set to Ideal World which had a mis-laced apostrophe. OK designers don't have to be good at grammar but you'd think it was proof-read before it went to print! :mysmilie_19:

Or "mis-placed" even?

:mysmilie_17:

The lyrics go:

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.
You make me happy, when skies are grey. (Or gray for our US cousins!)
You'll never know dear, how much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away."

So while it a) wouldn't make sense for the second line to read "You make me happy, when skies are blue.", it also b) wouldn't scan very well with the fourth line.

ok ok I know when to admit defeat, I still think though in my world that I will probably still sing 'blue' as that is what I have sung ever since I first heard the song and no-one has corrected me, but thanks all for the responses.

In response to the above, I appologise for not reading properly and assuming (yes I know that assuming makes an 'ass out of me' :)), but I think it is another QVC branded company, as I don't think if it was an external one they would be able to control the spelling and change the spelling to the 'correct' version. I shouldn't have assumed but given that must things 'Q' are American and I was 'blearily eyed' I just 'assumed'!, a quick hunt on the 'net' though indicates that the only other company to have these was Q America, where they had a bigger selection.

Also point of note if someone is thinking about purchasing this bangle, then I would read the reviews on the Q America, as some are complaining that the charms are so delicate that they fall off after a short while. Sorry not trying to put a 'dampener' on anyone purchase, but just 'buyer beware' type of thing!

Last edited:
Grey is a 'nuance' of blue so feel free to say blue - whatever 'makes you happy'.

Don't IW sell 'lace dies' by that Stephanie woman, perhaps that's what they mean by mis-laced ?

Don't talk to me about apostrophes. I like to use them properly but my auto-spell-check sneaks in and changes them after I hit the go button.

My daughter got a spoon for her dad for fathers' day from Kellogg's (saving tokens) and wanted Dad's Spoon (family in-joke) but arrived saying "Dads Spoon" still funny (only to us) but annoying! :taphead:

Curse my mis-placed typing finger! :mysmilie_3:

The annoying craft set was also related to Fathers' Day and some of the sentiments read "Your the best Dad" Grrr! To which I'd ask..."My the best dad what?" :mysmilie_10:

Hey Yorkrose sing whatever you like I love a good mis-heard lyric; the sillier the better. Sorry if I sounded like critical. never my intention. :mysmilie_59:

No because in British English when you are feeling 'blue' you are sad!Sorry not trying to contradict and I appreciate that it is probably me who has got it wrong and just trying to convince myself that all this time I haven't been [wrong], but it is forever engrHello,

With regards to the referencing I have only previous undertaken level 2 courses via the distance learning medium (apart from my Open University which was of course different altogether) and didn’t think that at this level that we needed to reference in the ‘academic way’. I will have to appreciate this ‘step-change’, and going forward will remember to reference. In my defence though because the assignment question stated the ‘assignment criteria’ the question was referring to I thought that unless I was using something instead of that, that only then were I to make reference to my resources (hence the questions that I passed were because I referenced to the external sources that I accessed (though strictly speaking I should have probably put the ‘date accessed’).

I am going to have to get my head back into ‘academic’ mode, as I registered on a ‘whim’ because I was ‘bored’ (don’t take this as I am not going to put the effort in as I am doing, honestly).

I will shut up now as the foot I have just shot is bleeding and needs attending to (this is of course metaphorically speaking based on the above paragraph)!

I hope that I have done enough and if I haven’t, then and I know this may make me sound like I am not making an effort (and I can assure that I am and want to pass this course), but is it possible that you could e-mail me, or direct me to a website that indicates exactly what you need with regards to referencing so that I will know going forward.

Regards and sorry for the bout of ‘verbal diarrhoea’

Adele
ained into my sawdust (in the same place where other people have brains), that it is 'blue'!

Sorry, but you know when you have a 'irritant'! (though people that know me say that I am a constant irritant, I fair, really don't know what they mean! I mean really the cheek of it!):mysmilie_5: (the smilie is me to a 'tee'!

But it's the sky that's blue.....not the person.

:mysmilie_19:

I was watching the Today's TSV and one of the sentiment bracelets was the lyrics from 'you are my sunshine'

The sentiment says 'gray' (so I know from that it is American), but that aside I have always sung (yes painful as it sounds), 'blue'.

Is this just the Morcombe and Wise version or is this the actual lyrics, I just find conflicting on the 'inter-web'. Can anyone give me a definitive (or thereabouts) answer!

Thanks!

I'm not wishing to nit-pick, but Morecambe and Wise used to sing 'Bring Me Sunshine', a different song which I prefer :happy:

http://www.elyrics.net/read/m/morecambe-&-wise-lyrics/bring-me-sunshine-lyrics.html

You Are My Sunshine: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/copeland/youaremysunshine.html

:sun:

My Dad used to sing this to me and he always sang "when skies are grey." I've never thought about it but it does rhyme with "please don't take my sunshine away!"

Latest posts

Back