Burning Question

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
I have a question that has been 'burning me' for ages (no it isn't about Tan-Luxe, ultrasun or any other sun protection brand), why is that when the presenters are stating that they have been 'kind enough' to be sent a sample of a particular product, does it make me annoyed!

I know this is probably a rhetorical question and one where no answer can really be given, but it does annoy me as it seems to be being mentioned more and more, it is one of those things that you know that it is going to happen (as they have to 'schmooze' with a product in order to be able to sell its 'good points'), but it does annoy me, especially when some of the products that they 'let slip' are not particularly that cheap. I know it is a sales tactic and I know that people will 'fall for it', I am also aware that some presenters do actually purchase (albeit with a 20% discount) products, but it does kind of leave a 'sour taste in my mouth'!

Sorry first rant though since Sunday :)

My question is what happens after the trial period? I can understand that beauty items are to keep but what about the expensive vacs they all get (especially the dog owners ). TVs, cameras or Techy stuff.

Hands up who gets the Meile stuff? Or the iPhones.

Nice job if you can get it.

What about the infamous customer panel. In the middle of shows about all sorts, beauty, electronics etc a T caller would phone in saying they got the product to use and how much they loved it. I used to see people on the QVC Facebook page begging to join, but it was always closed.

As for the stuff the presenters get, keep an eye on Ebay:mysmilie_17:

I'll never forget the time when Simon Biaggio 'road tested' a bed !!! The film showed it being delivered to his very nice up-a-drive home and installed in the bedroom. There was no reason to suspect it wasn't his house, but I often wondered if it was returned after use. I think the employee perks must be brilliant because there is never a big turnover of staff is there ? most of 'em have been there years - so think of the stash they've acquired during that time.

Or they know that they are unemployable at their salaries and perks anywhere else in the country.

I don't think Boots or Next pay that much which after all is their equivalent in the DHS.

I must admit that used to annoy me in the twenty years a QVC customer (closed my account almost three years ago now) that I was paying more for my products and p&p for presenters perks and the customer panel to get freebies, who never in four million years would they ever say an item they were given was crap.

That's why Ideal World is perfect for me, it's just my type of shopping channel, down to earth. They don't have a customer panel who they give freebies to, that I'm helping paying for, and the presenters have to pay for their own things they buy from IW. Any returns and ex-demonstrations go straight to their eBay shop at a knock down price

I must admit that used to annoy me in the twenty years a QVC customer (closed my account almost three years ago now) that I was paying more for my products and p&p for presenters perks and the customer panel to get freebies, who never in four million years would they ever say an item they were given was crap.

That's why Ideal World is perfect for me, it's just my type of shopping channel, down to earth. They don't have a customer panel who they give freebies to, that I'm helping paying for, and the presenters have to pay for their own things they buy from IW. Any returns and ex-demonstrations go straight to their eBay shop at a knock down price

Have also been a customer for more years than I care to remember and have never ever received a 'FREEBIE' or asked to try out anything! Proud that I have only bought my items. At the same time I see that some certain 'Special' people get lots of nice products to try. How does this happen? Do they ask for it in kind?
Only curious, as if I like something I will look at many reviews and then decide to buy it!! Slightly disgruntled at the 'Freebie Brigade' ok, rant over! :mysmilie_1:

Trouble with Ideal World is that they have been 'flogging' the same products for years and years and instead of gaining new products they loose them to Q and don't seem to replace them. Yes it seems more 'price focused' then Q but the brands are not there, for instance tech products are reconditioned and the clothes and skincare are not really 'household names'. I know that the price accommodates for this but I have a theory that Ideal World targets the Daily Mirror/Jeremy Kyle element whereas Q tries to attract the Daily Mail/Express (and above 'though that could be giving itself false pretences, although saying that The Telegraph did do an article recently about Q), so again it is a case of 'you get what you pay for' (sorry I seem to be overusing that statement today). I also apologise to you @shopperholic, I have unintentionally offended you by stating you were a Daily Mirror or a Jeremy Kyle watcher :)

i dont watch ideal world much but when i do they sell some great brands at good prices, the gardening looks a lot better than qvc, the duy is far more extensive..dont do beauty much so not bothered.

Trouble with Ideal World is that they have been 'flogging' the same products for years and years and instead of gaining new products they loose them to Q and don't seem to replace them. Yes it seems more 'price focused' then Q but the brands are not there, for instance tech products are reconditioned and the clothes and skincare are not really 'household names'. I know that the price accommodates for this but I have a theory that Ideal World targets the Daily Mirror/Jeremy Kyle element whereas Q tries to attract the Daily Mail/Express (and above 'though that could be giving itself false pretences, although saying that The Telegraph did do an article recently about Q), so again it is a case of 'you get what you pay for' (sorry I seem to be overusing that statement today). I also apologise to you @shopperholic, I have unintentionally offended you by stating you were a Daily Mirror or a Jeremy Kyle watcher :)

I don't read any paper, haven't done for the past twenty years, so no offence taken.

I have to disagree. IW have just had Demitri James on and his Skinn range which is a top seller in America, Australia and beyond, they also have Elizabeth Grant who QVC France sell, at much dearer prices (obviously ) and also pick up brands that IW finish with or QVC poach one or the other either way QVC want them. IW sell Tefal and Tefal only let IW launch their new products in the UK, a new one is on now just been released, its called "Connect" and there's no bigger kitchen brand than Tefal. They sell Bissell, Bamix, Vax, actually if you go through their website you'll see how many brands they've actually got. They don't need to be a Jack of all trades because with IW it's all about quality, not quantity. I know QVC like to be seen as the Harrods of shopping tv, selling dearer goods or goods sold anywhere else but they slap a big mark up on them to pay for their "freephone" number, but the truth is, IW don't need to act as something they're not, over 16 years and still going with no multi national, global company to carry them. IW have faster, cheaper delivery, quicker refunds, answer quickly emails to sort anything else, if a part if an items missing, they send the part you don't have to return the whole thing, they sell good quality products at good prices, so QVC can act as they want, but IW customers will always shop at IW because what you see is what you get, they're not trying to be something they're not. Also when they have promotions, every customer gets treated the same, free p&p for everyone if that's the offer, as for flexi-pay, anything over £29.99 is on flexi-pay, and that opens a flexi-basket were anything else you buy gets flexi-pay too. Anyway, we all like different places to shop, each to their own, this is obviously just my opinion and not meant to cause an argument.

Just adding QVC to me are the ones "flogging" the same things, Elemis, Kim and Co, not to mention Dyson, Yankee Candle.............

Last edited:
I've only bought off IW once way back. Dave Bradford's jewellery cleaner, it was on QVC under a different brand name but he bought the company it seems. Took ages to arrived but hey no hurry from me. Now this is what p*ssed me off big time. About two years ago I got a phone call out of the blue from IW asking me why I never shopped with them and would I be interested in? No! And told never to contact me again!

I do flick over to IW randomly but they do seem to have the same boring (to me) picks of the day on endless. Vax,Iron,Moira C ancient scarf things, craft, Elizabeth Grant, fashion which looks like what Littlewoods stores sold years back, men's watches don't do women's it seems. I have no interest, well Elizabeth Grant turns up in TKMaxx.

I rarely shop with QVC these days but never will with IW. Their section of the is forum is dead 99% of the time, usually only laughing at the ex Bid Up presenters now on there.

I've only bought off IW once way back. Dave Bradford's jewellery cleaner, it was on QVC under a different brand name but he bought the company it seems. Took ages to arrived but hey no hurry from me. Now this is what p*ssed me off big time. About two years ago I got a phone call out of the blue from IW asking me why I never shopped with them and would I be interested in? No! And told never to contact me again!

I do flick over to IW randomly but they do seem to have the same boring (to me) picks of the day on endless. Vax,Iron,Moira C ancient scarf things, craft, Elizabeth Grant, fashion which looks like what Littlewoods stores sold years back, men's watches don't do women's it seems. I have no interest, well Elizabeth Grant turns up in TKMaxx.

I rarely shop with QVC these days but never will with IW. Their section of the is forum is dead 99% of the time, usually only laughing at the ex Bid Up presenters now on there.

Yes the Ex Bidders are a joke there's no denying it, but I wouldn't let that cut my nose of to spite my face. Everything I've ordered has arrived in two, three at the most days, the Nicole tops (six for £40, £45 delivered) arrived next day. I've bought great bargains from them and not one thing has been a return, unlike QVC were not one thing was new, but like I say we all like different things, that's not a problem.

I think it looks like IW sell the same thing all the time but they don't, I think it's because unlike QVC that cram in about ten to twenty items in one hour to grab your attention, IW only do one, possibly two if it's related to what they're selling. Most of IW sales come from browsing their website, they've got loads on their from chocolate/meat, bedding, make-up, fridges, loads and I've always wondered why more of what they've got doesn't go on air, obviously mustn't need to. Anyway, that's me done. :mysmilie_14:

Oops, put the wrong little dancey thing on :mysmilie_17:

Last edited:
I think many had poor service from Ideal World years ago and have never returned.

I think it looks like IW sell the same thing all the time but they don't, I think it's because unlike QVC that cram in about ten to twenty items in one hour to grab your attention, IW only do one, possibly two if it's related to what they're selling. Most of IW sales come from browsing their website, they've got loads on their from chocolate/meat, bedding, make-up, fridges, loads and I've always wondered why more of what they've got doesn't go on air, obviously mustn't need to. Anyway, that's me done. :mysmilie_14:

Oops, put the wrong little dancey thing on :mysmilie_17:

I have to agree with you shopperholic, I've order 2 items from the website this week on separate days (items have never been on air) both were shipped the same day and arrived next day. The last time I order from QVC it took a week before dispatch and another week to arrive.

I have to agree with you shopperholic, I've order 2 items from the website this week on separate days (items have never been on air) both were shipped the same day and arrived next day. The last time I order from QVC it took a week before dispatch and another week to arrive.

I know what you mean dtb, when I used to shop with QVC and they said three to five working days, guaranteed and I mean absolutely guaranteed, three days in and my item would still be in process, when it was delivered nine out of ten times it was used anyway so I thought to heck with it and closed my account. What I like about IW they don't use Royal Mail at all, even for a lipstick, they just put it in a bigger box so it doesn't get lost but don't charge you for it, meaning you can track your order from start to finish :mysmilie_14:

Latest posts

Back