Britain's "favourite" firms

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AndiK

Registered Shopper
Seems QVC has come second to John Lewis in a survey of our favourite and most trusted brands. I guess that is something for them to be proud about and they are justifiably boasting the fact on Twitter and in their newsletter.

What do you think? Does it surprise you? The fact QVC has fared so well in a survey does not surprise me but the fact so many people have voted for it does - I didn't realise it was that well known, strange as that may sound. A lot of people I know have never heard of it, let alone shopped at QVC

Also, not all but most of the top ten are British firms. The Daily Mail, reporting the results, describes QVC as British. I know voters would have meant QVC UK, but I still think of the QVC I shop with as a US company, do you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rned-nations-trust-John-Lewis-heads-list.html

yes, I think of QVC are a US based company, we are just the small relation of the big parent company.

I would put Marks and Spence and Selfridges before QVC.

We have no John Lewis in Northern Ireland so I have only bought via online from them. Selfridges far quicker at shipping and delivery for a £1 more.

QVC is American, end of. I would put Markses, Mountainwarehouse, Sainsburys and John Lewis in that order. The much-maligned Tesco also deserves a mention. There are also loads of smaller retailers who won't get a mention because they're a niche market, so these surveys feed the giants and aren't totally representative.

QVC's rating is based on its excellent customer service staff and certainly not on its delivery costs and times.

Very flawed survey imho.

I would definitely have expected M & S to be ahead of QVC in that survey because they are a bit of a national institution and I think of QVC as a US company. Odd!

yes, I think of QVC are a US based company, we are just the small relation of the big parent company.

I would put Marks and Spence and Selfridges before QVC.

We have no John Lewis in Northern Ireland so I have only bought via online from them. Selfridges far quicker at shipping and delivery for a £1 more.

I love Selfridges too - well, I love the shops but I don't have much experience of their customer service. They do some great deals.

QVC is American, end of. I would put Markses, Mountainwarehouse, Sainsburys and John Lewis in that order. The much-maligned Tesco also deserves a mention. There are also loads of smaller retailers who won't get a mention because they're a niche market, so these surveys feed the giants and aren't totally representative.

QVC's rating is based on its excellent customer service staff and certainly not on its delivery costs and times.

Very flawed survey imho.

I agree about the reason for QVC's rating. Interesting what you say about no mention for the niche retailers - I would have thought the same but Lush is in the Top 10. I don't know how big Lush is but I would definitely describe it as "niche".

I have not been particularly impressed with M & S online or in store but really like their outlet stores. The food and instore cafes are ridiculously over priced.

I don't rate QVC customer service at all. I usually bypass the call centre staff entirely and just use the website/app. I do like the products QVC sell, but not their prices,except with TSV's. It's the products and 30 day MBG that keep me shopping with them for all these years.

I love John Lewis-probably my favourite real shop. Not very impressed with their website and their customer service is no different to anywhere else. Again it's the products not the prices that I like. And their cafe and baby feeding & changing facilities are simply outstanding.

I am not surprised Tesco are not going to feature. Don't think they are owned by a British family (could be wrong) and their predatory attack on high street small businesses gives them a deserved bad name.

My favourite is Amazon, for choice, price, postage, refunds and returns second to none. As for the tax, the problem is the system that allows them to pay less tax. I would pay less tax if I could so I won't boycot them for doing the same on a much larger scale.

I would definitely have expected M & S to be ahead of QVC in that survey because they are a bit of a national institution and I think of QVC as a US company. Odd!

I think it's only because they separated M&S food and M&S non-food. M&S as a whole would appear much higher on the list. A bit unfair, that.

My favourite is Amazon, for choice, price, postage, refunds and returns second to none. As for the tax, the problem is the system that allows them to pay less tax. I would pay less tax if I could so I won't boycot them for doing the same on a much larger scale.
I do wonder how many people would willingly pay more tax than they are legally obliged to because I wouldn't. If there were fewer loopholes then companies couldn't exploit them but maybe they would organise their affairs so their tax was payable in other countries and the UK would be worse off.

I don't think it's odd. I think M&S were a national institution when I was a kid growing up, but I think they fell out of the race at least ten years ago and the fact that food is now their biggest money maker shows that. They'd be about the last place I'd consider shopping nowadays. Mind you, I'd never think of John Lewis either when shopping online or off, so I obviously don't fit the profile that was surveyed.

What are they talking about here - actually going to the shops or shopping online? I do practically all my shopping online, all my groceries/household/pet food are ordered online and delivered, and I buy everything else from Amazon, ebay, and certain favourite online retailers like Inlight Organic. The only shops I actually visit now are village pet shop, post office and corner shop and very occasionally, like today, B&Q. I would never even consider shopping for clothes anywhere other than online - hot shops and queues for the changing room I cannot deal with. I will be going to B&Q at about six o'clock when it will be pretty empty. The thought of actually going shopping on the high street, fighting my way through the crowds and having to make polite conversation with gormless teenage shop assistants horrifies me.

Grumpy old woman? Me?

I definitely think of QVC as American. As said by others and I agree, we are just a small runner from the mother plant here in the UK. For me, my ultimate favourite British store is Fortnum and Mason. Also, M&S, John Lewis and Laura Ashley (I am a chintz sort of girl) are who I think of. I agree about Selfridges, didn't they start over in the US? Also Harrod's, I know they are now foreign owned but when I was a girl and before I came to live in England, whenever I thought of London, Harrod's was one of those icons I pictured (along with all the royalty stuff).

Inge x

I defiantly agree about John Lewis , the service you receive from them is the best on the highstreet and the staff have good product knowledge unlike most highstreet stores. Amazon I like as the delivery is fast and the prices are good, I would hate to work for them after seeing some of the news reports about the working conditioners there etc though.

I agree about the reason for QVC's rating. Interesting what you say about no mention for the niche retailers - I would have thought the same but Lush is in the Top 10. I don't know how big Lush is but I would definitely describe it as "niche".

I think Lush were niche when they started, but I wouldn't call them "niche" now, with 830 stores in 51 countries they're a massive British success story.

And they're Cruelty-Free!

I think Lush were niche when they started, but I wouldn't call them "niche" now, with 830 stores in 51 countries they're a massive British success story.

Wow, I never knew that! I only know of one store and I work in London!

Actually, I meant niche in terms of products - as opposed to the likes of John Lewis, Amazon, M&S who offer a wider range. But I definitely see why they are not niche in size now.

Sorry but I really dislike Iceland.

I appreciate that many people are on limited budgets and very thankful that I have a fair amount of freedom. I like free range meat and eggs, I just don't enjoy my food if I feel guilty about dubious animal welfare. I wish no disrespect to other people, it is just my own preference.

Inge x

Iceland are no more dubious than anyone else, in fact they were one of the first to ban GM food and additives from food. I buy items in Iceland, their bread and tea prices are often better than big supermarkets. Their frozen vegetables and fish are top quality. People who think they just sell ready meals or processed junk are misinformed. And just to counter the outrageous stereotyping going on, I own my own company and doing quite nicely thank you very much.

Edit. They also sell free range eggs. None of the meat is free range.

Latest posts

Back