Boycott QVC today

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have been here many years people come people go, some think they are end all of the forum and their opinions count more than others. Not the case.

I merely asked once which journalist university course you attended? You do love to tell us all about your childhood etc, didn't think it would hit a sore point.

But you do seem to have low opinion of many on here going by your comments if people do not agree with you. Post #96 deary.

It's not a sore point, Donna. I just don't see it as being any of your business, particularly in light of some woman ringing up my employers in a desperate bid to suppress a story I wasn't going to write about in the first place! (This woman, whoever she was, had clearly made incorrect assumptions and gotten the wrong end of the stick). Despite the efforts of some people, we still have a relatively free press compared to other parts of the world, although it is extremely regulated. There are few professions, apart from that of a lawyer, where people have to study the law in detail to qualify. I don't know the identity of the woman who rang, but I would say it was likely Ms Flint or her cohorts, or possibly someone on this forum.

If you really want to know, I studied at VUG - Vilniaus Uzupio Gimnazija, then one of the University of London colleges, and now I'm doing a further qualification sponsored by my employers. This will enable me to do my MA at City, University, London, however I am having to save up very hard as not only will I have to pay most of the tuition fees myself, I will also have to support myself for a year. I've got a certain amount of funding, but I recently chose to buy myself a nearly new Audi A1 as I got fed up with taking buses and tube trains.

http://vug.lt/

It's not a sore point, Donna. I just don't see it as being any of your business, particularly in light of some woman ringing up my employers in a desperate bid to suppress a story I wasn't going to write about in the first place! (This woman, whoever she was, had clearly made incorrect assumptions and gotten the wrong end of the stick). Despite the efforts of some people, we still have a relatively free press compared to other parts of the world, although it is extremely regulated. There are few professions, apart from that of a lawyer, where people have to study the law in detail to qualify. I don't know the identity of the woman who rang, but I would say it was likely Ms Flint or her cohorts, or possibly someone on this forum.

If you really want to know, I studied at VUG - Vilniaus Uzupio Gimnazija, then one of the University of London colleges, and now I'm doing a further qualification sponsored by my employers. This will enable me to do my MA at City, University, London, however I am having to save up very hard as not only will I have to pay most of the tuition fees myself, I will also have to support myself for a year. I've got a certain amount of funding, but I recently chose to buy myself a nearly new Audi A1 as I got fed up with taking buses and tube trains.

http://vug.lt/

That's all fine with me Julius but I wish you would stop mentioning the car! and I dislike it when people boast about their car, or whatever. I am not impressed by what car people drive, never have been. I snigger at the kind of blokes who drive aggressively in their expensive cars. Instead of being impressed I think "idiot. Big car, small. ***** " insert whatever word you feel is appropriate! Maybe some footballer groupies would be impressed by a blokes car or how fat his wallet is though.

That's all fine with me Julius but I wish you would stop mentioning the car! and I dislike it when people boast about their car, or whatever. I am not impressed by what car people drive, never have been. I snigger at the kind of blokes who drive aggressively in their expensive cars. Instead of being impressed I think "idiot. Big car, small. ***** " insert whatever word you feel is appropriate! Maybe some footballer groupies would be impressed by a blokes car or how fat his wallet is though.

Sorry Weather, I didn't mean to annoy / upset you. You're right I do keep going on about my car - it's just for 7 years I had a mountain bike, then did my shoulder in, and got sick of buses. I can't see any groupies being impressed by my vehicle - they're welcome, though! LOOOOL! I do love my little vehicle, though, but I will try not to mention it any more. I don't know about the "big car, small penis" theory. My car is quite small! hahahaha Still at least it's good quality, though!

I disagree with your posts sometimes Julius,but that's what Real forums are for,we can't all live in a fantasy land where everything is lovely,however I do feel that you shouldn't have to answer about your personal life unless you wish to.

Sorry Weather, I didn't mean to annoy / upset you. You're right I do keep going on about my car - it's just for 7 years I had a mountain bike, then did my shoulder in, and got sick of buses. I can't see any groupies being impressed by my vehicle - they're welcome, though! LOOOOL! I do love my little vehicle, though, but I will try not to mention it any more. I don't know about the "big car, small penis" theory. My car is quite small! hahahaha Still at least it's good quality, though!

Oh yes It's a well know saying "big car, small doodah" Maybe if you'd spent less on a car (I'm assuming it's a status symbol because you keep mentioning it) another well known saying is "smaller car, less insurance, leaving more for your eduction)..........not really, I made that one up.

I disagree with your posts sometimes Julius,but that's what Real forums are for,we can't all live in a fantasy land where everything is lovely,however I do feel that you shouldn't have to answer about your personal life unless you wish to.

Thank you Lynn, I've had comments on all sorts of things, from my education, to my car, to my penis (!) I suspect whoever the neurotic woman was that telephoned was Flint / her mate / a forumite, 'cos our readership wouldn't generally give a damn about QVC or anyone on it! Just over a year ago I had a piece in the Express and their readers were telephoning in their droves with all sorts of nasty comments, some of which I found really quite upsetting. They really are a militant, hateful bunch of ignoramuses! I suppose like Debs I need to get over it and grow a thicker skin. The difference is I am a very low-level journalist. My career will improve when I do my MA. I don't seek limelight. Debs has been on the box for decades.
I would love to do the MA at City but it's just so expensive. That's why I was thinking of doing an MA back in Lithuania at Vytautus Magnus University. It's very prestigious in LT but I'm not sure it has the recognition factor in the UK. Maybe it will not meet with Donna's approval :( I don't know:

http://www.vdu.lt/en/studies/degree-studies/master-ma/journalism-and-media-analysis/

It's NOT a status symbol at all! It was a choice of Proton Savvy (awful), Kia Picanto (very good), Citroen C1 (didn't like the way it drove) or the Aud1 A1. It was small but solid. And no I don't sit there revving at the traffic lights. I drive like an old man in a flat cap. I even do actually wear a flat cap! Anyway I can't mention it any more.

For the record, I can't stand Debbie Flint or QVC, they both rip people off, as for the "doodah" comment it was a joke, you know like when you skit people with lisps only I was joking it want personal towards you, so I'll say goodnight to you as my comments have gone off topic, apologies.

For the record, I can't stand Debbie Flint or QVC, they both rip people off, as for the "doodah" comment it was a joke, you know like when you skit people with lisps only I was joking it want personal towards you, so I'll say goodnight to you as my comments have gone off topic, apologies.

It's OK Shopper, I was not mortally offended! LOL. Even I don't find my penis particularly interesting! My vehicle is only small! :( Never mind! I would love to know the sales figures for Basso's tat on QVC. His items must be popular or they wouldn't keep bringing him back. The people on this forum don't like him / his products by his Q shows do seem extraordinarily popular. I don't think he is a nice person by any stretch of the imagination. In fact he reminds me of that bloke who owned a turkey factory - Bernard Manning, I think. Ghastly person. I do find Basso amusing though, with his odd voice. I remember when he got stuck in a giant letter Q once, he was so fat! Hahahaha!

Basso is a big fat barsteward, and that voice would be great in horror movies, imagine that coming at you on a dark night hey, he'd scare the bejeezus out of you!

It's OK Shopper, I was not mortally offended! LOL. Even I don't find my penis particularly interesting! My vehicle is only small! :( Never mind! I would love to know the sales figures for Basso's tat on QVC. His items must be popular or they wouldn't keep bringing him back. The people on this forum don't like him / his products by his Q shows do seem extraordinarily popular. I don't think he is a nice person by any stretch of the imagination. In fact he reminds me of that bloke who owned a turkey factory - Bernard Manning, I think. Ghastly person. I do find Basso amusing though, with his odd voice. I remember when he got stuck in a giant letter Q once, he was so fat! Hahahaha!

LOL the turkey man was Bernard Matthews...Bernard Manning? Well he's the patron saint of political incorrectness!

LOL the turkey man was Bernard Matthews...Bernard Manning? Well he's the patron saint of political incorrectness!

Bernard Matthews, that's right. He didn't quite have the scary persona of Basso. I seem to recall he had a West country accent and liked to tout himself as a "man of the people" I think, but his factories were notorious for the horrific way the animals were reared. A few years ago there was an outbreak of avian 'flu. Matthews died a few years ago. I remember seeing it on the news.

In terms of causing offence you were close with Basso and Bernard Manning!

Yes, I just googled Bernard Manning to see who he was. He was a fat comedian from the 1970s. Google came up with this really odd programme called the Wheeltappers' and Shunters' Social Club - a sort of televised working men's club. Yuck! It was horrible to watch, really cringey and awful but there were some similarities between Basso and Manning.

Weathergirl, so, so right! Especially the "Big car, small *****" bit! Current theory says it's a way of compensating, which I'm inclined to agree with. And are we supposed to be impressed just because someone's bought a car that they obviously couldn't afford? Not big, not clever and needs much more than that to impress.

Last edited:
Just to clarify Julius although I was posting about you boasting about your Audi, (sorry I am clueless about cars so no idea if yours is a large Audi or a small! ) however I was speaking in very general terms about men who drive aggressively in big flash cars.. I promise I did not intend to imply that any part of your anatomy is..... erm... small! I have no idea how fast you drive or how aggressively... perhaps you are more if the "Sunday driver" variety (my description for drivers who spend all week polishing their pride and joy and only driving it on Sundays, at 20 mph)

I just can't help wondering why you needed to say the brand of car at all if you were not boasting? For example someone who is watching what they spend because of a big purchase may say " I need to tighten my belt as I have just shelled out for a new car". I would have thought it unlikely that they would say " I can't buy that as I have just bought a new Audi/BMW/Mercedes/whatever. " Maybe it is just me and I am sorry if my post came across as personal about parts of your anatomy. I was really only intending to say you were boasting.

Just to clarify Julius although I was posting about you boasting about your Audi, (sorry I am clueless about cars so no idea if yours is a large Audi or a small! ) however I was speaking in very general terms about men who drive aggressively in big flash cars.. I promise I did not intend to imply that any part of your anatomy is..... erm... small! I have no idea how fast you drive or how aggressively... perhaps you are more if the "Sunday driver" variety (my description for drivers who spend all week polishing their pride and joy and only driving it on Sundays, at 20 mph)

I just can't help wondering why you needed to say the brand of car at all if you were not boasting? For example someone who is watching what they spend because of a big purchase may say " I need to tighten my belt as I have just shelled out for a new car". I would have thought it unlikely that they would say " I can't buy that as I have just bought a new Audi/BMW/Mercedes/whatever. " Maybe it is just me and I am sorry if my post came across as personal about parts of your anatomy. I was really only intending to say you were boasting.

Hello there, No, I wouldn't consider it boasting at all. My car is a 1.2 litre hatchback - the smallest in the range! I paid for it out of my own money for which I'd worked hard over 7 years. It's not on finance although I could have taken a deal I didn't want that looming over me. I bought a vehicle that was a couple of years old but with only 7,500 miles on the clock so I didn't have to worry about the depreciation so much. I would state what car I'd got, even if it were some old banger. I was going to get a Smart ForTwo but I didn't like the smarmy salesman, clearly not liking an Eastern European man in a flatcap even daring to enter their posh showroom, so I went and spent my money on a small vehicle elsewhere! It's their loss. I suppose it might seem a bit sad but I do like to take care of my vehicle. Every week I polish it with the Showroom Shine / Crystal Clear products I bought from QVC. I always make a point of driving it carefully and I do like to go out for Sunday drives - it's true. A while back I went to Seven Sisters near Eastbourne and had a roast beef lunch. I also went to Brighton, Chiswick House and many other places. It's so nice being on the road again and I feel privileged to be in that position. I have no particular concerns over my penis - it is quite boring, but if there were any issues there I would have considered the more logical approach of addressing that concern directly via surgery rather than vicariously purchasing a great hulking vehicle! I take the point of view that it ain't broke so need to fix it! I'm a very shy person. Rather than rev at traffic lights or drive aggressively I slow down when people tailgate and let them pass. I am just a junior journalist in a flatcap - nothing special.

Last edited:
Hello there, No, I wouldn't consider it boasting at all. My car is a 1.2 litre hatchback - the smallest in the range! I paid for it out of my own money for which I'd worked hard over 7 years. It's not on finance although I could have taken a deal I didn't want that looming over me. I bought a vehicle that was a couple of years old but with only 7,500 miles on the clock so I didn't have to worry about the depreciation so much. I would state what car I'd got, even if it were some old banger. I was going to get a Smart ForTwo but I didn't like the smarmy salesman, clearly not liking an Eastern European man in a flatcap even daring to enter their posh showroom, so I went and spent my money on a small vehicle elsewhere! It's their loss. I suppose it might seem a bit sad but I do like to take care of my vehicle. Every week I polish it with the Showroom Shine / Crystal Clear products I bought from QVC. I always make a point of driving it carefully and I do like to go out for Sunday drives - it's true. A while back I went to Seven Sisters near Eastbourne and had a roast beef lunch. I also went to Brighton, Chiswick House and many other places. It's so nice being on the road again and I feel privileged to be in that position. I have no particular concerns over my penis - it is quite boring, but if there were any issues there I would have considered the more logical approach of addressing that concern directly via surgery rather than vicariously purchasing a great hulking vehicle! I take the point of view that it ain't broke so need to fix it! I'm a very shy person. Rather than rev at traffic lights or drive aggressively I slow down when people tailgate and let them pass. I am just a junior journalist in a flatcap - nothing special.

They are very expensive on repairs so I have been told.

Latest posts

Back