Birkenstock

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've never seen why there's all the fuss about Birkenstock. We're told to wear them in then they'll be super-comfortable, but I have that with other brands, anyway, without the wearing in. OH bought himself a pair of walking shoes off a market stall in that category that lasted years. And the Birkenstock look isn't exactly unique. What am I missing, Birkenstock fans?

I am a massive birkenstock fan and am relieved they're still on QVC.Last year I thought their shows and TSV's were dwindling and thought they may be coming to an end on QVC so I'm pleased to SCW posting their shows.

Why am I a fan...thats quite hard to answer really....I sort of just fell into the brand.I'd seen them in very few shops and thought they were ugly.I saw QVC were selling the single straps but didnt really hold my attention - lovely bright colours but overpriced.I then went a theme park and stood behind a young girl wearing them ( well younger than me lol) and I thought they looked really attractive on her.I bought my first pair (single strap in menorca I think) and I wore them to death.They were sooooooooooo comfortable and went with everything.Cant say I've ever been a huge flipflop wearer but birkenstocks are so much sturdier.I dont get all the hard skin on my feet that I did with flip flops and I dont feel as though I'm walking on the pavement,like you feel every bump and lump with flip flops.

I then started to get into the different styles and colours.I stuck with the single straps for a while - then they started having TSV's in 3 straps that I didnt like.Then they had one print which I fell in love with but only available in two straps - so I bought them and loved them.I've never had to break a pair in until I met Gizeh (the thong type) and I did need to build the time up in them.I just find they last forever and are so comfy.

The negatives? I would never wear them as sometimes advertised on QVC - I dont think they look nice with skirts (maybe at a push the one strap) and I keep them confined to my linen trousers and jeans.I dont wear shorts generally but maybe on hoilday but ok with shorts.I do think they make your feet "spread".When I started wearing them I bought a size 6 shoe and bought a size 6 birkenstock.Now I still buy a size 6 birkenstock but I have to buy a size 7 shoe for width.You cant get them wet...they're not made for pool or beach walking (although they did do some ad found they rubbed when my feet were wet).They are expensive.

This year has seen a birkenstock dilemma for me.I've always worn my birkenstocks to work.I live in them in the summer.My feet get very hot and birkenstock are just perfect for my feet from about April to October!! Last July I changed my job and my new head does not allowed backless shoes.I was heartbroken when I heard this news!! I was even begining to "worry" how would my feet cope??!! But I have found the Kairo on amazon so am just waiting for those to come and relieve me of my panic!!!

When I first started to watch Q they were on all the time but I wasn't really interested. Later I purchased a couple of pairs but as I can't wear them to work that was as much as I needed. Then I found the plastic ones Beulah and flip flops and I just loved them but they sold out and never came back again. I kept an eye out for shows but they didn't seem to have anywhere as many shows last year. However they are now back in stock, albeit slightly different, so I ordered and they arrived today.

Like rainbowdottie I used to think they were unattractive. And overpriced, and I could never see the appeal. Then I started to get heel and arch pain, every step. Fallen arch in right foot, I was told. Wear orthotics. :mysmilie_10: So I bought a couple of shoe inserts and found they helped. The pain was less.

Come summer, of course, orthotic inners look a bit silly in sandals, so I resentfully bit the bullet and bought a cheap pair of Birkenstocks from eBay.

Bliss. No pain. No wearing in. No adjustment at all. I can stand all day in them (usually my foot would hurt if I stood more than 10 seconds without shifting my weight). My posture improves. My back doesn't ache. My feet can breathe. I've walked around London for 8 hours, and 5 miles along Yorkshire cliff paths - each in total comfort.

I now wear them constantly from April to September, have about 8 pairs, and am buying 1 pair a year and retiring 1 pair a year - steady rotation. Lol.

And I still find them unattractive - although better than Crocs!!!

Useful tip: if (when) they start to smell, spritz them with Fabreze and let dry over night. Problem solved.

Thanks for the febreze tip. I think they are ugly but I wear them all summer even with dresses because I like to walk a lot and I can walk miles in them. I also wear merrell Mary Jane's which are also ugly but... I like to walk. Even more ugly my Keene sandals but I can paddle in them and then walk 15 miles.

I have a specific problem which makes Birkenstocks perfect for my needs: Suffering with hypermobility syndrome all my leg joints have an increased range of motion meaning I have frequent injuries from the stupidest things. I tried flyflots, fitflops and other spongy soled shoes but the built in instability doesn't suit me because they're a torn ligament waiting to happen. I bought a pair of Avon toning toe posts and they're ok probably because the soles are firmer than those in Fitflops, but I can also see why people swear by fitflops for leg toning and support.

So I wear Birkis all year round instead of floppy fabric slippers. I don't like the gizehs as much as the other styles; somehow my foot feels exposed.

A couple of years ago I was prepared to sacrifice my oldest pair on holiday if they got wet and disintegrated, but I've worn them on 3 beach holidays including walking in the sea, they got wet, dried out quickly and looked just the same so each time I've brought them home again.

I got the Birkenstock version of crocs from QVC's last clicks and also the 2 strap sandals in the same croc-like material and they frequently get thrown in the washing machine. (I wouldn't try this with the regular birki's though)

I have a lot of trouble with my feet, so like Biikinstocks. Only some styles though. I usually buy them from amazon though now, cheaper as well as more choice of colours/styles etc.

I think both Birkenstocks and Crocs are very ugly and I hope neither ever take up residence in my wardrobe. But then I don't have any problems with my feet. If I did then it might be different.

I also have problems with my feet and I love my Birkis because of this. I can walk miles in them with little discomfort and I can dress them up or down and I've never had to break them in. I also tend to buy a new pair each year and retire a pair. I can't get on with the single strap variety though - they give me a blister so ugly or not it's good old Gizeh for me although i really like the Salina (?) pair i have that are black with a sequin type effect on bought from Q. I think this year I'm going to buy a bronze pair not sure what style yet :) I'm grateful for the Febreeze tip though so I'll be trying that.

A neighbour gave me a pair of the spongy slipper socks that she was given for Christmas but were too big from her. I tried them on but realise that they are just a flat base and my foot could just fall off them. I have the secret support booty slippers from M&S and they offer good support and look like cheap uggs.

Thing is, as I read this thread and see the inevitable, Birkenstock/Crocs are ugly comments, and there are MANY different styles, so many, just depends where you buy from and QVC tend to just sell the expected styles. I have had loads of both brands through the years and never wear the styles that everyone usually sees. So contrary to what people expect, they can be flattering and traditional looking shoes, in fact I have moved from Birkenstock's to Crocs but again, none of the ugly ones. One of my daughters has a pair of Birkenstock Mary Jane shoes and they are smart and have lasted two years with hardly any wear and my hubbies work shoes are a full leather Birkenstock and has had them for so many years I can't remember how long. I have always been pro Birkenstock on shoppingtelly.com and always will be.

I love Birkenstocks. I wear them a lot during the summer, and especially when I'm on holiday.

I don't buy from QVC a lot, because I think they are overpriced. Like with most of my purchases, I watch QVC and then look elsewhere.

Thing is, as I read this thread and see the inevitable, Birkenstock/Crocs are ugly comments, and there are MANY different styles, so many, just depends where you buy from and QVC tend to just sell the expected styles. I have had loads of both brands through the years and never wear the styles that everyone usually sees. So contrary to what people expect, they can be flattering and traditional looking shoes, in fact I have moved from Birkenstock's to Crocs but again, none of the ugly ones. One of my daughters has a pair of Birkenstock Mary Jane shoes and they are smart and have lasted two years with hardly any wear and my hubbies work shoes are a full leather Birkenstock and has had them for so many years I can't remember how long. I have always been pro Birkenstock on shoppingtelly.com and always will be.

I am one of the people who think they are ugly and have posted so on here. Yes you are right, I for one am judging the styles only on the ones that I have seen on QVC. Apologies.

They were the only shoes I could wear after 2 lots of surgery, one to put a plate and pins in my ankle and the other when after 3 years of discomfort and pain, taking it out again.

I have about 12 pairs, but unfortunately the single straps I struggle with the flip floppy motion, but the others are fine.

I've never paid full price for mine, the first ever pair was a "Last Clicks" for a tenner posted about 10 years ago on this very forum; with 2 blue floral straps. These are the indestructible pair I still have which have survived walking in the sea. There are sellers on ebay who can ship from Germany for less than Q sells them and SCW posted a link in the Drop about 18 months ago to a catalogue clearance site (if I remember rightly) and I got a couple of pairs for about £15 each (as always these facts and figures may not be exactly accurate as my memory is puddled!).

I didn't get on with the Madrid (one strap) at first but I've got used to them now so I'm thinking the same will happen with the gizeh pair I have so will keep wearing them around the house. The two strap pair didn't require any period of bedding in, they were "made for me" from the outset.

I've only got the gizeh and I had to wear them around the house to get used to wearing a thing between the big toe and toe. Perfectly comfortable now and as I wore them on holiday at Christmas, I won't have to get used to them again for this summer.

Funnily enough the toe post isn't the problem, I think it's having the sides of my foot completely exposed that feels weird. I'm not sure I like the look of the when I look down; maybe I need to wear them in hot weather (remember that?).

Latest posts

Back