Birkenstock sizing! Vampy! Help!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Poor Kitten !!....as someone who has endured two operations on my poor little "tootsie" inside 18 months I sympathise with you !, there is nothing worse than painful feet ! ( I have now undergone an experimental toe joint replacement, which I do not think has worked !), unfortunatly my shoe size is a 2 and so I have awful problems finding shoes !.
Anyway good luck with your "Birkies" hope your tootsies are OK tomorrow !. X

Don't really do puddles but possibly clogs would be ok. I have a pair of Maria and they hide my ugly bits and are fine in the rain. There are waterproof styles available in the catalogues.

Poor Kitten !!....as someone who has endured two operations on my poor little "tootsie" inside 18 months I sympathise with you !, there is nothing worse than painful feet ! ( I have now undergone an experimental toe joint replacement, which I do not think has worked !),

*squeals in sympathy & horror....shudder* Poor you, sounds awful!!
There is certainly little worse when it comes to the rapid degradation of one's temper! lol

...unfortunatly my shoe size is a 2 and so I have awful problems finding shoes !

Ooh no, is that because of your toes or is that your 'natural' size? I thought it was hard enough for DD with her size 3 feet but 2's, you're pretty much stuck with kids' shoes, aren't you?

Great sympathy for all the peeps with funny feet even if there's nothing to laugh at. Hoping for improvements all round as indeed painful feet do not make for pleasant times.

Great sympathy for all the peeps with funny feet even if there's nothing to laugh at. Hoping for improvements all round as indeed painful feet do not make for pleasant times.

I second that Vampy, if your feet (or back) are painful, you're stuffed everywhere else too as it's like a 'chain reaction' & you're constantly straining muscles, tendons etc. all over the place as you attempt to 'compensate' by walking oddly or whatever, so there's seldom any relief or escape from it & finding shoes is just an absolute nightmare - the amount of times OH has trailed round with me from shop to shop, with me getting ever more despondent at nothing fitting!
On the odd occasion I do go into town, I love going with DD who can try on any pair of shoes in almost any style, declare them 'pretty' & just buy them! lol

Can you walk through puddles in them btw?
They tend to pong quick if you get them wet after you've worn them for a bit. I got soaked in mine once whilst at work, (nipped out to shop at lunchtime) and in the afternoon I was sitting in the office thinking '****** hell, there's a horrible stink in here' - then I realised it was following me about and the penny dropped - OMG! :blush:
They are not so bad when new - but really, I don't recommend getting the cork ones wet if you can avoid it.

Yes Kitten size 2 is my real size !, I go shopping for childrens shoes whilst my two daughters when small shopped in the adults !!!!!.
If anything the new joint I have had in my right foot has made my shoe size a little smaller.
When I was little I would spend hours trying to stretch my feet, it never worked.

Scampdog - I do sympathise, eldest DD has only quite recently managed to scrape into a size 3, hence her fairly recent love of shoes! lol
When she was only a little younger though, it was a real pain as all her friends had lovely shoes & at a size 2, she could only get into kids' shoes, definitely not what she wanted for 'partying'! lol

I have been really tempted to buy a pair of these shoes but as I suffer from swollen legs and feet I'm having trouble fitting my shoes at the mo, last year I bought hush puppy toe posts and two pairs of velcro comfort sandals to wear this year and I can't get any on, but apart from that I'd like to ask those of you who do have them, I have never worn mule type shoes are they easy to keep on? and I take a 3 in a sandal but a 4 in a lace up shoe any idea's on the best size?
Thanks so much

piper

Piper4 - I am new to Birkenstocks (as you know! lol) & don't know exactly what your problems are so can only speak for myself here......

My foot problems are painful, somewhat swollen joints but mainly tendon/ligament problems, basically everywhere a tendon inserts is weak & painful; it hurts to walk/stand even in bare feet, my ankles 'give out' on me constantly & at the mo I physically can't get any 'proper' shoes on & even if I could, if my foot is bent into even a low 1" heel, I'm in agony!

The Birkenstops 'supported' my feet from the moment I put them on & although they felt a bit 'strange', I managed to toddle round the village today & didn't stumble once & I felt 'safe' in them, if that makes sense?

The only other shoes I can wear at the moment are Scholl type Relaxshoe sandals but compared to the Birkenstocks, these now feel too 'flat' & although better than 'proper' shoes, they are not a patch on the Birkenstocks, though of course they don't have the second strap?

I have the toe-post ones with a second strap & I think I will stick to these, certainly initially or at least styles with at least two straps/fastenings as I have 'fallen off' even the Relaxshoe ones & am as yet nervous about just having a strap across the toes!

Sorry couldn't be more helpful but maybe worth a try as I am not one for 'miracle cures' but they do help support my feet & the fact I could walk about a bit in them speaks volumes I think?

Piper4, I get terrible swollen feet and ankles and wear Birkenstocks, I do wear the Mules as in Madtrid style Birkenstocks but they are hard work to keep on, I tend to wear them around the house and for short walks. I do feel some benefits from wearing them though and feel as you have to work a bit harder at walking in them, I'm exercising my legs a little more and hopefully bringing down some of the swelling. If you wear toe post hush puppies, toe post Birkenstocks should do the trick. A word of warning though, the narrow fit Birkenstock sell on QVC are usually too narrow for people with swollen feet, I actually purchased a pair last week and I love them but they are just too narrow for me, can't even get half my foot in. As you have small feet it might not make that much difference but as mentioned by lots of people, it's best to try a pair of Birkenstocks on to see what fitting it best. Regular is the size I wear and when I'm having a puffy foot day, depending on the style, I can alter the strap accordingly. Of course mule/Madrid style don't have a strap near the ankle just the toe, so this problem doesn't occur. Hope that all makes sense and has helped a little.

I have several differnt styles of Birknestocks I started off by buying a pair of Madrids single strap, in a local shop so i tried them on. I have severe Arthritis in one knee and now find the one strap versions aggravate the knee. I find the two strap versions supportive.

I don't have problem feet, but I find the toepost (gizeh) the most comfortable and supportive. I do have back pain and find when I'm wearing the gizeh, which is my main choice of footwear over the summer, the pain is almost non existent. Must be due to the way I'm standing and walking in them!

I recommend the two strap and toe post styles, or any with a strap across the highest point of the instep as being the best for staying on your feet. I find the one strap styles much less secure and quite an effort to walk in.
Kitten, I'm so pleased you are still getting on well with yours. :up2:

I only have madrids too and am wearing a pair now,I am a six and a halfr normally but take a six in these and find them just right I reckon theres about half a centimetre gap at the front,I never have any trouble with them(hence I have about 17 pairs)
I would stick with them a few more days if you can just incase they improve,I hope they do

Thanks to everyone for their experiences and suggestions they are very much appreciated. My swollen shins and feet are due to water retention, I do have tablets for it when it really severe but they only do so much, basically I wear Freestep lace ups in a 4 though I would take a 3 in their sandals, I have the sandals which velcro across the front but at the mo their isn't enough velcro the close it over properly. When I bought my sandals last year my feet were in their "as normal as can be mode" and I wore them around the house to get used to them for this year. I don't wear anything with a heel as it makes my hips painful. Gosh sounds like I'm failing apart!

I think I may pop into a Clarks shop and see what they have, I just wanted a change from wearing lace ups which I have been doing for the past 10 years.

piper

I hope you find something to suit piper. I always think if your feet are comfy and cool then the rest of you follows!

I've only just caught up with this thread

& just to add my 2p worth, I have had the clog birkis and love them to schlep about in (with my socks on too - sooo glam - thank heavens for long trousers)
have progressed onto a more summery style (just the one strap) but due to toenail issues haven't tried them much

But slowly getting to the point, I buy h-u-g-e size birkis so that they fit and my toes don't catch on the edge......after watching QVC where they say about going smaller etc I was beginning to think that I was the only person needing to go up a couple of sizes. There tends to be spare room round the back everything else is comfy so its reassuring to know that if it wasn't right the pain would be bad

Latest posts

Back