Birkenstock- are they really comfy?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thank you guys! x

Thank you so much for all the responses! Great to have so many peoples views and ideas x

PS- are fitflops "toning" on the legs?- I could do with that!

Thank you so much for all the responses! Great to have so many peoples views and ideas x

PS- are fitflops "toning" on the legs?- I could do with that!

Fitflops are meant to be toning although I've never bought them for that purpose. Check out fitflop.com for more info and styles. Shops like Jones and Sole Trader sell them although their range is very limited. I know my size with Fitflops so they always fit when I buy them online. One word of advice: don't buy the many copies out there. Skechers and M&S do their own copies but they are not a patch on the real deal.

John Lewis are doing a price match at the moment and have fitflops (the ones you mentioned that you had bought earlier) for £49.99 and that will be postage free if you have them delivered to a waitrose or JL shop

I lived in Birkis for several years - thought they were great. They were the only things I could iron in as they stopped my back from aching. They also stopped my feet smelling! My faves were a toe loop style that had gold wire thread wrapped around narrow black bands. They were pretty even though Birkis are generally ugly! I'd still keep buying if they made a similar style (can't understand why they don't and happy to see the TSV looking a little more delicate than the normal ones), BUT only to wear occasionally. I found out that they were the cause of my horribly painful plantar fasciitis and now can only wear Fitflops if I want to walk without pain. I was diagnosed in 1997, discovered Fitflops soon after and despite living in them summer and winter ever since, I cannot get rid of the PF pain when I go back to normal shoes for a day or two.

Interesting to see the GP and physio arguing about Birkis being the cause. Doc said they're too flat/hard/lack support, physio says that they're the qualities needed in shoes. My experience sees me siding with my doc.

Never heard of FitFlops 'til this thread. Ordered BlackPatent, JLewis for £35, free delivery to my den. Thanks everyone for helping me realise I 'need' another pair! Have an empty LGreiner ShoePocketOrganiser that needs filling! x SnickeringSnarly |now, what colour shall I paint my claws?|

@alterego. Thanks for the warning. I'm on my first pair of Birkis. It is true that moderation in all things is best so I'll alternate them with other sandals.

I bought a pair of fitflops the summer they came out...I don't find them beneficial to toning....although when I dig them out every summer,my legs do "ache" slightly,so maybe they're doing something?!

I like my fitflops but prefer my birkenstocks.

Don't suppose anyone wants a pink pair of Birkies size 7 do they?? Worn a few times, kicked off after minutes every time! lol

I would say Fitflop's claims re 'toning qualities' are not very convincing in practice, but they are very comfy uderfoot, especially for a Plantar Fasciitis sufferer.

I have to defend birkenstocks here, sorry guys: but most peoples feet spread as we get older, its just gravity taking its toll over time. The really tsrange thing is that feet also can get smaller and still get wider: go figure lol

BTW I love my birkies, but have not bought any from QVC for years as I can get nicer styles elsewhere. Have just bought these for the same price as the recent TSV:
http://www.soletrader.co.uk/betula

bought the white strap with the flower
Thank you for this link, I spent some time looking at the women's ..sandals and I am so tempted. These
SLINGTNL_AV1_z.jpg

SLINGTNL_z.jpg

They are £59.99 but they are leather whereas most Birkis are manmade!

Thanks again eveyone

Just to say thanks again for yet more useful info- you guys rock! x

The FitFlops I ordered from JL weren't comfy at the toeposts, so will return via RM using prepaid label. Returned package to Boots, courier just picked up less than 24 hours after phonecall. Both free. Now, That's Service! I wonder how many packages are 'lost' to and from Q - that must be added to our costs, just as shoplifting costs are added to shop prices.

Just to add if anyone doesnt get on with the cork bed Birkies or fitflops then maybe try the Betula EVA flipflops from Qvc. I find them so soft, comfy and supportive I slip these on more often now than my traditional Birkenstocks and forget Ive got them on.

Go for the Narrow footbed

I think you can get some really good colours to tie in with maxi dresses etc- but i always go for the Narrow footbed, as i found the wide ,like wearing shoeboxs on your feet, really awful, and once you get used to them they are very comfy, theyare well made -are they worth it? shop around as they are in my opinion a bit pricey.

@alterego. Thanks for the warning. I'm on my first pair of Birkis. It is true that moderation in all things is best so I'll alternate them with other sandals.

Definitely the best advice!

Begtodiffer - before buying, Google the actual name (Sling, I believe that one is) as they're 10 quid cheaper on places like Cloggs/Shoetique at the mo (plus Cloggs has an extra 10-15% off sale items this w'end).

Latest posts

Back