Birkenstock- are they really comfy?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've had a few pairs over the years (Madrid and Ibiza) and they are comfy enough once you wear them in. I had some 3 bar ones backalong (Florida I think) which really rubbed the top of my foot for some reason and I didn't care for those much.
They can make my heels quite dry, rough (and sore) if I wear them for too long though so a fair bit of footcare maintenance is required along the way.

Thank you Loujareth- I will be sure to give them enough time to mould to me- am excited about getting some now !!! x

Thanks Tinkerbelle x
Thanks offmetrolley- oh dear - have to admit my heels are a bit dry to start with x

I take a 7 shoe but wear a 6 in birkenstocks.

My only criticism of birkenstocks is that they can make your feet "spread".

I take a 7 shoe but wear a 6 in birkenstocks.

My only criticism of birkenstocks is that they can make your feet "spread".
Yes they definately do make your feet spread. I have worn precious little else in the summer for about 5 years and my feet have got wide. Also they have spoilt me for high heels now which I used to live in but God are they uncomfortable now. Still love Birkinstock though as they support the foot so well but go a size smaller than normal shoes. And one other thing, you should be able to get your thumb under the straps, do not strap them on tightly.

Yes they seem to make your feet spread but that is because our feet are not supposed to be constricted in tight point shoes. We orignally walked barefoot after all.

My Birlies were cheap. £20 from TK Maxx. I wore them as slippers first of all but I liked them straight away anyway because I had been used to Scholls in the 60's and 70's.

You can't run in them and you shouldn't drive in them but for slipping on and popping to school or the supermarket they are grand.

I have pretty feet, possibly because I've worn birkenstocks for about 12 year for about 90% of the time, all year round. Mind you my ankles and knees are ****** ugly from lots of scar tissue! Compared with other feet in their 50th year I really like my feet, no hammer toe, bunions, crusty hard skin, corns or cracked heels, straight toes and toe-nails. I can wear high heels too but Birkies get the thumbs up from my physio so that'll do for me.

The sizing is weird, I wear a 4 or 4.5 in Clarks but wear a 3 in Birkies and even though I have a high instep (no Julia, it's not from years of ballet) I only wear the narrow footbed. It's definitely worth checking your size and fit instore rather than waste p&p with QVC.

There used to be German ebay sellers who could supply nicer styles than QVC and for far less money, including postage from Germany but I haven't bought any new for a while because they doen't seem to wear out. I took my oldest pair on holiday and wore them in the sea thinking I'd dump them at the end of the fortnight and have an excuse to buy a new pair but the dried out and looked just the same.

OMG I'm staring to sound like an evangelical birki-wearer.

Jude xx

I love my birkenstocks and have 9 pairs. If you are buying in costco or tk maxx, you need to check what you are getting. My sister bought me a pair in hot pink from tk maxx and they are nothing like my others. They are madrid style and the strap goes inside rather than down the outside of the footbed, the footbed is rock hard and a shiny material rather than the soft suede i'm used to. She paid £20 for them and they are def birkenstocks but not the birkenstocks that i'm used to. Perhaps they are a cheaper range from birkenstock?

has anyone else seen these ones?

I can't wear them yet love all my other ones

Not sure how helpful my view will be as I have rather weird feet, they are very wide & I have a chronic tendon problem, so for me it is literally Birkenstocks or nothing, as I cannot physically get any other shoes on my feet, apart from a pair of oversized cushioned dolly shoes type things!

I wear the 'regular', which are the wider fitting ones & they are a perfect width for me. I would normally be a 4.5-5 but in Birkenstocks I wear a 3, labelled as a 3.5 in the 'regular' fit. It is vitally important that they are the right size or your feet will soon become very sore. There is a slight upwardly curving lip at both the heel & the toe end & your toes & heels need to fit just inside this, not be hard up against or resting on it, at either end!
I like the Papillio best & find them the most comfortable; the Birkis I have are not quite so comfortable I find & are a slightly smaller, snugger fit.

I don't find they make my heels dry or rough at all, quite the opposite in fact. My feet are very 'au naturel', I don't Ped-Egg them or anything, just body lotion when I get out of the bath/shower & I find the constant air flow (& no socks!) aspect of wearing them day in day out keeps the skin on my feet in excellent condition. I don't have the prettiest feet but they're not fugly either.

They do however make your feet 'spread' somewhat. In my case this was a good thing as my toes have definitely taken on a more natural shape since I started wearing them & my toes are much less crushed together & bent than they were previously.
I find them very supportive & comfortable & would happily buy Papillios in every colour ever made!

I haven't tried the standard 'Scholl' style ones (that your feet slip under a single strap of), mine are the toe-post ones, with a secondary strap across the ankle end of the foot, as I need to feel 'secure' when walking about etc. & they are easy to slip on & off if you are a bit unsteady on your feet, or have difficulty bending down to adjust things.
The cork footbed is hard yet comfortable, more so once your feet have gotten used to them & I have never felt I can't wait to get them off my feet, as they never make them ache or feel 'tired'.

If you have the toe-post ones, at first it might feel a bit odd as your toes kinda grip the toe strap/post but after a while (very quickly in my case!), muscle memory takes over & you just walk in them as naturally (still using your toes!) as if you were walking barefoot!
They should not however 'hurt' when you first try them out, if they do so, they are the wrong size or width for your feet. You don't need much of a gap all round but your feet should not be 'aware' of the edges/raised lips, if that makes sense?

HTH. (A bit.) :sun:

Thankyou kitten_with_claws- yes that helps a lot!- will bear your advice n mind when getting some x

Nope, don't like 'em at all, in fact I've never been able to get my head around this business of 'wearing them in' before they become comfortable. Why ? yes I know its to 'bed' your foot in, but I pays my money and I want it to work straightaway. Only the Queen has someone to wear her shoes in. For me, visually they have no redeeming features for all the 'pretty' straps they may have, and tragically they still look like boats on your feet; and as for wearing them day to night like Nikki says - well, little black dress and birkies, um dont think so.

For comfort I like Rieker, for daytime only !!!!!!

I have a pair of Tofinos. I bought them from QVC in Feb this year when they were in clearance. They are quite comfortable now that I've broken my toes into them with the toepost (have to do this every year for flip flops anyway). They are currently my preferred sandal for walking into town, going to the allotment as they offer some support. Attractive they are not but I wear trousers most of the time so they aren't seen much.

Reikers can be better looking and I've still got a pair from 12 years ago that I'm struggling to throw out. I've also got some lovely furlined smart suede boots from this company (there is a shop in Solihull that sells them or there was a shop a 3 years ago when I was working there)

I find them very comfy once you get the right size, and you do need to try some on to work that out. I favour the toe post style, which I think are called Gizeh, and I think they can look pretty with cared for feet and nicely painted toe nails. I do find they get tatty (and a bit whiffy) long before they wear out, and that's why I generally end up chucking them.
I like Fitflops too. They are super comfy, like big bouncy flipflops, and the plainer styles come up lovely after a whirl in the washing machine on a cool cyle!

Mmm- haven't tried fitflops - will look into these too thanks Flamenco x
Thanks Betty Boo- maybe i would be best buying them in the flesh rather than off telly to make sure I get good fit x
I think it's a good idea to try before you buy as sending things back can be expensive when you take in to account the original P&P.

I have pretty feet, possibly because I've worn birkenstocks for about 12 year for about 90% of the time, all year round. Mind you my ankles and knees are ****** ugly from lots of scar tissue! Compared with other feet in their 50th year I really like my feet, no hammer toe, bunions, crusty hard skin, corns or cracked heels, straight toes and toe-nails. I can wear high heels too but Birkies get the thumbs up from my physio so that'll do for me.

The sizing is weird, I wear a 4 or 4.5 in Clarks but wear a 3 in Birkies and even though I have a high instep (no Julia, it's not from years of ballet) I only wear the narrow footbed. It's definitely worth checking your size and fit instore rather than waste p&p with QVC.

There used to be German ebay sellers who could supply nicer styles than QVC and for far less money, including postage from Germany but I haven't bought any new for a while because they doen't seem to wear out. I took my oldest pair on holiday and wore them in the sea thinking I'd dump them at the end of the fortnight and have an excuse to buy a new pair but the dried out and looked just the same.

OMG I'm staring to sound like an evangelical birki-wearer.

Jude xx
I just bought a pair from Amazon which came from a German seller and at only £3 P&P which is less than QVC charge from Liverpool.

Yes they definately do make your feet spread. I have worn precious little else in the summer for about 5 years and my feet have got wide. Also they have spoilt me for high heels now which I used to live in but God are they uncomfortable now. Still love Birkinstock though as they support the foot so well but go a size smaller than normal shoes. And one other thing, you should be able to get your thumb under the straps, do not strap them on tightly.

I have to defend birkenstocks here, sorry guys: but most peoples feet spread as we get older, its just gravity taking its toll over time. The really tsrange thing is that feet also can get smaller and still get wider: go figure lol

BTW I love my birkies, but have not bought any from QVC for years as I can get nicer styles elsewhere. Have just bought these for the same price as the recent TSV:
http://www.soletrader.co.uk/betula

bought the white strap with the flower

Last edited:
I love my birkenstocks and have 9 pairs. If you are buying in costco or tk maxx, you need to check what you are getting. My sister bought me a pair in hot pink from tk maxx and they are nothing like my others. They are madrid style and the strap goes inside rather than down the outside of the footbed, the footbed is rock hard and a shiny material rather than the soft suede i'm used to. She paid £20 for them and they are def birkenstocks but not the birkenstocks that i'm used to. Perhaps they are a cheaper range from birkenstock?

has anyone else seen these ones?

I can't wear them yet love all my other ones

these are an old model of the Madrid style, a very old model

I find them very comfy once you get the right size, and you do need to try some on to work that out. I favour the toe post style, which I think are called Gizeh, and I think they can look pretty with cared for feet and nicely painted toe nails. I do find they get tatty (and a bit whiffy) long before they wear out, and that's why I generally end up chucking them.
I like Fitflops too. They are super comfy, like big bouncy flipflops, and the plainer styles come up lovely after a whirl in the washing machine on a cool cyle!

Oooh I didn't know you could wash Fitflops! I've got some of the original Walkstar 1 black ones with the fabric-style tops, not sure what the material is but they are really grubby so I might wash them now....they're ancient anyway so it won't be the end of the world if they get ruined. I've also got some newer fancier ones which I wouldn't dare wash though.

I wear my Fitflops around the house and in the garden all the summer and if they get dirty I just wear them into the shower at night to wash them. They come up lovely and clean.

Latest posts

Back