Big article on QVC in today's Daily Telegraph

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lizgregs

Registered Shopper
Was down at my parents' this afternoon and flicking through today's Daily Telegraph and there is a really big article about the success of QVC and some info about behind the scenes. Quite interesting. Sorry I don't know how to put a link to it but am sure someone with a modicum of computer skills will be able to do it. Picture of JF with Giles Deacon and some of their comparisons between QVC website and what their reviewer thought.

I wonder how 'Franks' enjoys being likened to a ventriloquists dummy. Accurate, though.

Yes interesting article, so maybe there should be a mass rethink about who exactly is to blame for the things that are said on air that seem to wind some people up.....

Wonder how other 'seasoned' presenters felt that they weren't showcased. Missed opportunity to plug a book, for instance. :wink:

Yes interesting article, so maybe there should be a mass rethink about who exactly is to blame for the things that are said on air that seem to wind some people up.....

Perhaps they are given ideas as to what to say, but I think what actually comes out of their mouths is entirely down to them. Look no further than JF as an illustration- surely no-one could feed her the lines she comes out with!

Perhaps they are given ideas as to what to say, but I think what actually comes out of their mouths is entirely down to them. Look no further than JF as an illustration- surely no-one could feed her the lines she comes out with!

You wouldn't think so, saying that she manages to come up with the twaddle, but the article did say she repeated the lines verbatim, so....

very interesting article. Note that the 85000 units Tsv was "in the past" - as we know those days are long gone.

whilst I believe the gallery is feeding them info they could not possibly be making any sane person say the crap they come out with. It all comes out too fast and without any thought.
someone should have explained that all new shows sell out very quickly first airing (a) low stock and(b) we are so bored with the old crap. Returns and repeat orders are the true test of a successful product. How many brands never get a repeat outing.

sorry - great minds and all that!lol

I think it more likely they are fed the sales figures and told what to mention next, not your actual words, those have to be all hers!!

I think it more likely they are fed the sales figures and told what to mention next, not your actual words, those have to be all hers!!

Possibly, but don't forget the producer has no more time than the presenter and has the added pressure that the presenter is waiting for them to feed them the lines, so they are just as capable of feeding the presenter twaddle as the presenter is of making it up for themselves...

If that is the case, I wonder if they are produced by the same person every time they are on air or whether the producers are in a "pool" and move between presenters.
After all can you believe the same producer who works with JR also works with JF? As we all know JR is the absolute professional who talks sense and the other one.........well, do I need to say more?

Hmmm, I'm sure the producers do steer and often tell the presenters what stock is left etc for them to repeat but I think they only cover the essential need to know stuff to get the calls up. The rest of the twaddle has to be JF's own creation, (& a few of the others are adept at "twaddlism" too).

Can you picture the scene...Producer to JF...
"HUG LULU! Grab her round the shoulders & tell her there's no 'ope for 'er & you're sendin' 'er 'ome in your best mockney accent Jill!,
Now tell her that you love the colour of the bag on screen NOW! Even if Lulu's never made it in the colour that you love it in as you can't seem to differentiate red from pink, or indeed pink from cobalt blue.
Oh bugga, you're selling that rollerball thingy later, shove it on her face, she'll love it!"

Somehow I can't see a presenter, even one that's just a tad past the embreo stage in age requesting her to do & say that.

Last edited:
Maybe they'll be back and do a write-up for the Big20Anniversary. Wonder if that journalist reads 'our' scribblings for our insight? *wave*

Jill's just said of designer shoes that "they may look a million dollars but that's not what Clarks is about" The Clarks guest must be thrilled at that! Maybe she needs more fed to her through her talkback from the gallery!

Jude xx

Latest posts

Back