Big article on QVC in today's Daily Telegraph

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I thought the article was interesting, but perhaps a bit misleading. The use of talkback - those voices in a presenter's ear - is nothing unusual. Just about every live television show from Dancing on Ice to the News employs it. How else would the presenters know what is going on? Being able to use it is considered a professional skill and any presenter worth their salt will list it in their cv. And, having heard the amount of information given to a presenter using this, it's a wonder they can speak at all. Disseminating all the relevant information, from the natter is very difficult. Every one of them is required to repeat, verbatim, certain phrases. ( I don't think the article suggested they were the ONLY words she uttered?).Making it sound as if they are your words is even harder. I'm pretty certain the writer would have known that as it's not exactly a secret. By making it sound unusual did QVC and JF a dis-service. A bit more research might have been good - the writer seemed surprised that QVC hadn't started selling perfume, when we all know they have!

Jill's just said of designer shoes that "they may look a million dollars but that's not what Clarks is about" The Clarks guest must be thrilled at that! Maybe she needs more fed to her through her talkback from the gallery!

Just watching the repeat of the midnight show.
JF is a presenter I normally avoid, but have been entertained in parts by her getting herself in a complete twizzle when trying to explain how they are both comfortable and stylish, whilst at the same time giving the impression that she wouldn't be seen dead in them.
She really does come out with some waffle.
Also, the guest doesn't seem quite her normal erudite self. Am suspecting she's peed of with the idiot with her.

QVC will probably have paid for the article and in the actual paper in a small corner in small print it would probably say " advertising promotion ". You see such articles all the time in magazines and newspapers. Part way down the article the word QVC is written in red and if you click on it, it takes you straight to their website. I don`t buy the papers in the flesh, I read them online but the odds are that QVC would have an advert somewhere in that particular paper on that particular day for which they`d have paid a lot of money in exchange for the article. Its called you scratch my back, I`ll scratch yours. The paper did the promo article in exchange for Q paying for an advert. They all do it.
The producer will be keeping an eye on everything from the presenter, guest, camera shots etc so will probably feed the presenter key words or key lines such as talk about the different colours because the green is selling slowly but the pink has sold out or we`re gonna zoom in on your neckline so play with the necklace make it sparkle in the lights or ask the guest about so and so. The twaddle will be mainly the presenters own I should imagine because otherwise they`d all be spouting the same stuff in the same way just like clones and that doesn`t happen, each presenter is different. JF talks at a rate of knots whereas Charlie is often so slow in a presentation he`s almost at stop for example.

QVC will probably have paid for the article and in the actual paper in a small corner in small print it would probably say " advertising promotion ". You see such articles all the time in magazines and newspapers. Part way down the article the word QVC is written in red and if you click on it, it takes you straight to their website. I don`t buy the papers in the flesh, I read them online but the odds are that QVC would have an advert somewhere in that particular paper on that particular day for which they`d have paid a lot of money in exchange for the article. Its called you scratch my back, I`ll scratch yours. The paper did the promo article in exchange for Q paying for an advert. They all do it.

The piece was written by Phong Luu, one of The Daily Telegraph's fashion columnists, so not an advert. You can read all her previous columns online.

fashion and beauty columists go hand in hand when it goes to back scratching we even have that with the beauty bible starting off as being an impartial reviews from other customers to the sham that it is now!

If that is the case, I wonder if they are produced by the same person every time they are on air or whether the producers are in a "pool" and move between presenters.
After all can you believe the same producer who works with JR also works with JF? As we all know JR is the absolute professional who talks sense and the other one.........well, do I need to say more?

On radio the presenters do have their own producer (same as the fictional 'Fraser' show on Channel 4) so possibly the same for Q on tele. Julia is often heard to say 'my' producer.

On radio the presenters do have their own producer (same as the fictional 'Fraser' show on Channel 4) so possibly the same for Q on tele. Julia is often heard to say 'my' producer.

But 'Franks' is also heard to say 'I' only have red, blue, whatever left in stock....'I' only have sizes smawll, medium and extra large...'I' need you on the phones. But we all know they aren't hers, don't we? Interestingly.

I did laugh when I saw the 1st of the 3 customer online reviews they picked and quoted at the end of the article...:mysmilie_483::mysmilie_59::mysmilie_61:

"Border Print Jersey Tunic by Very Vollbracht, £28.92
You say: "The fabric was cheap, creased and not at all up to my expectations. The sizing was all wrong too. I ordered size L - it was on the small size." (Fashionada)
We say: When Kurtz lamented about "the horror, the horror", was he referring to this?"
(It was a patterned shapeless top, sorry can't paste the image but it's in the article at the end)

Last edited:
The 3rd review at the end of the article was rather odd too...(Spot the mistake)....

"Sensitive Cleansing Wash by Elemis, £19.77
You say: "Great cleansing wash and the SOS Cream is great at calming down stressed skin… Fantastic price too, the cream alone would nearly cost the price of this set." (Lulu)
We say: A fantastic and fantastically priced beauty set from one of QVC's best-selling brands."

Reviewed as a "beauty set" yet the title the review was allegedly for was just 1 item, the cleansing wash? Huh? :confused:
Then the journalist goes OTT on the "FANTASTICNESS" of THE SET, hmmm mates with an Elemis Director perhaps? :mysmilie_513::mysmilie_61:

Latest posts

Back