Benefit Cosmetics

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I didn't try the new brow product at the BB but tried a friend's when her order arrived and, after a certain amount of laughing and pointing, she sent it back! I have very little in the way of eye brows they're just a fine thin invisible blonde line so firstly I dye them with brown dyelash which helps me stick to a natural shape when I fill in with pencil. I've tried lots but by far the best pencils are YBF (Models Prefer), New CID, Avon*, and Yves Rocher*. Fair to good are No7 and Rimmel. I still also use Doll 10 and Smashbox browtech which are the best powder/wax apply-with-a-brush type products.

There was no way to apply the Benefit brow thingy sufficiently to build a brow where there's no hair, trying to apply more tendied to remove what was there and if I have to apply in stages, allowing drying time between coats I know I won't bother. Plus it was teeny-tiny!

* if you're looking for a true ash-based colour Yves Rocher do one (often on offer) also I can use the Avon black brow pencil applied very lightly to achieve an ash blonde colour when my hair-colour has no red or copper tones whatsoever. The Doll 10 grey brow is ok but can look too grey (I know; I'm a nutter ofcourse it's grey!) but few brow products work well with ash blonde hair shades which are tonally green or lilac-based.

I too tried the Gimme Brow, rubbish IMO. I ordered the light medium which was still too dark. It was difficult to shape brows, leaving my brows looking thick and unsightly, yet not able to 'filll' in properly where my brow is very sparse. Weird stuff...and the size, 3ml, tiny, tiny. It is going back tomorrow even though it will cost to return. I will at least get some money refunded by QVC, otherwise it would be thrown in the bin. I considered requesting a return label as it does not live up to the claims made during the presentation.

I love my YBF automatic eyebrow pencil in taupe. Much better and realistic.

I'm gutted I didn't visit the Benefit stand at the beauty bash as they were giving them away I hear.
It looked painted on poor Jacky the model and not natural looking, but I'm sure with a light hand it could look good.
I found an alternative in Boots and the price is way more acceptable, has anyone tried it?
Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Mascara
http://www.boots.com/en/Maybelline-Brow-Drama-Sculpting-Mascara_1365297/

I'm gutted I didn't visit the Benefit stand at the beauty bash as they were giving them away I hear.
It looked painted on poor Jacky the model and not natural looking, but I'm sure with a light hand it could look good.
I found an alternative in Boots and the price is way more acceptable, has anyone tried it?
Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Mascara
http://www.boots.com/en/Maybelline-Brow-Drama-Sculpting-Mascara_1365297/

I'm using the Maybelline Brow Drama atm & find it really good as long as I use it lightly.

I generally have my brows tinted but I still use the Brow Drama as it fills out the brow & also helps keep it in place.

I used to like them when I was in my teens and early twenties but now have found far better brands that are better quality & less expensive. Yes Benefit 'traffic stop' their customers & do the hard sell. I went for an interview with them once& it was a group of us. We all had to stop people in Debenhams & get them to come with us to have a 'makeover' using products we had to demo & the more we sold the better. I don't think a lot of their products work very well. I'm glad I didn't get the job, I wasnt comfortable trying to force people to buy things, especially the elderly pensioner who had no money. I thought it would be more about helping the customer with products, choosing the best ones for them.. but no.. it's all SELL SELL SELL!!!

I get on very well using their Boing concealer. I did try the rebel rebel (???) one shade fits all (according to AY it was very forgiving,) tinted moisturiser and looked as if I had had a spray tan!!!! In mahogany.

Alter ego please correct me if I am wrong but do you mean the poreless face defender with the sponge ( I am now on my 3rd one snd its fab). There is a liquid version too Crinkly but I have not tried that one.

Yes Weathergirl and Crinkly, it's the one in the pink compact with a large sponge (though I use Sonia Kashuk's Beauty Blender knock-off sponge. Bought a load when they were on sale for £1 in SpaceNK). I even tap it on before bed in an effort to stop looking like I've had my face over the fryer down at the local chippy all day when I get up.

It can cause a bit of congestion, but careful cleansing and exfoliation with a large muslin cloth keeps it at bay. I also use it for finishing to hide pores and lines - and very effective it is, too. I'm quite pale so haven't had any problems with ashiness, but like I said, my biggest usage is to keep my oily forehead matte and dry.

ETA Crappy spelling.

Yes Weathergirl and Crinkly, it's the one in the pink compact with a large sponge (though I use Sonia Kashuk's Beauty Blender knock-off sponge. Bought a load when they were on sale for £1 in SpaceNK). I even tap it on before bed in an effort to stop looking like I've had my face over the fryer down at the local chippy all day when I get up.

It can cause a bit of congestion, but careful cleansing and exfoliation with a large muslin cloth keeps it at bay. I also use it for finishing to hide pores and lines - and very effective it is, too. I'm quite pale so haven't had any problems with ashiness, but like I said, my biggest usage is to keep my oily forehead matte and dry.

ETA Crappy spelling.

It's a very silicone heavy product, that's probably why it can cause congestion. Silicone can be very beneficial for the skin but it can be awful for causing spots too.

I like Benefit, especially some of the blushers and the highlighters also Bentint. The Benefit guest always reminds me of Poppy from Eastenders. She looks like her and sounds like her.

Personally I think the Gimme Brow is good. You need a VERY light hand and if you apply as shown in the video I find it looks very natural. Don't know if I'd buy again as my favourite is the YBF pencil. I might try the Maybelline one mentioned, (thanks for the heads up) but not sure if its sold in Spain though I have seen Maybelline stands so will investigate. One product that I thought was a real con is the Benefit Fine One One Sheer Brightening Cheek and Lip just doesn't show up on my face!

I might try the Maybelline one mentioned, (thanks for the heads up) but not sure if its sold in Spain though I have seen Maybelline stands so will investigate.
They don't have it in Holland or Belgium but you can get it on Amazon

It's a very silicone heavy product, that's probably why it can cause congestion. Silicone can be very beneficial for the skin but it can be awful for causing spots too.

I have just started using this and despite having very sensitive skin I have never ever had spots so I should be a good gauge of this aspect.

The Benefit girls from my Boots have their coffee break in marks cafe when I am there on a Saturday and to be honest they are a very poor advert for anything. Straight out of TOWIE with the make up on with a trowel, they are the centre of attention and not in a good way.

Oh, srhgts, it doesn't cause spots (I only get them around the jaw TOM). Just some little bumps under the skin if I'm a bit slack with my routine.

Just thought I'd add that in case anyone reading thought I get spots using it. Also interesting that I don't get spots/congestion anywhere else I use it. My forehead's always been a problem - more probably to do with the obscene amount of oiliness than what I use. I'm not so oily anywhere else and positively Saharan on my cheeks.

Fair enough, everyone's skin's different eh. It's always broken me out terribly if it's at the top of the ingredients list. My skin doesn't seem to mind it if it's further down, though.

Fair enough, everyone's skin's different eh. It's always broken me out terribly if it's at the top of the ingredients list. My skin doesn't seem to mind it if it's further down, though.

My hair loves silicone, but high silicone products give me spots on my shoulder in the summer when my hair is in contact with my skin. Weird.

I have to say I LOVE Benefit. Not every single product, there have definitely been a few I didn't get on with but then i couldn't name any brand where I liked every single thing. They do awesome kits and especially round Christmas, have lovely sets with mini's of their highlighters, tints etc so you get a good chance to try a few different things. I got some of the skincare mini sets and while it is stronly perfumed, it is very nice skincare indeed. The staff at the counters are definitely 'enthusiastic' but I find if I say I'm just browsing then they're happy to let you get on with it and I don't find them pushy. And they are delighted to chat if you do like the products, I got some sneak previews from a lovely girl in Sydney when I mentioned some new things coming out.

benefit is one of my very best brands i find on the whole i love most things in each selection. the lipglosses,eye products, concealers and fab primers. alll esy to use with just your fingers. the textures and colours are good for the money. a brand that i will always buy.

i dont like generally mally (chalky and very boring colours plus ml for ml more expensive than chanel/. laura geller apart from some of her blushers and her primers ok. hate kits from qvc lots of bits of generally not paticulalrly good quality and not really a bargain if you dont use everything which i just wont.

going back to benefit it is one of the most popular brands on the high street but on qvc will never sell in the bucketloads because of its price point i.e no big bundle tsv's. it in my opinion worth every penny at its full price. i ma too picky for kits. imo you canna compare benefit with mally or laura geller

Personally I think the Gimme Brow is good. You need a VERY light hand and if you apply as shown in the video I find it looks very natural. Don't know if I'd buy again as my favourite is the YBF pencil. I might try the Maybelline one mentioned, (thanks for the heads up) but not sure if its sold in Spain though I have seen Maybelline stands so will investigate. One product that I thought was a real con is the Benefit Fine One One Sheer Brightening Cheek and Lip just doesn't show up on my face!

I like the Fine One One and is one of the very few things I repeat bought from QVC :) I find it quick and easy to use as a blusher ... but not so good on my lips.

Do any Benefit fans use High Beam? It's on 3 easy pay so I'm tempted but I don't know if I really need it, if I do highlight I use No.7's touché éclat concealer/highlighter pen dupe, is high beam really going to give much of a different effect?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back