Been to the "dreaded high street" today......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rainbowdottie

Registered Shopper
......and I liked it :sun:

I'm happy to admit,I really don't like the shops anymore and QVC is convienant (sp) and it does suit me.

However today,I have a rare day off-and needed some new summer clothes and bits and other bits and bobs for my house.

Its really made me realise how out of touch QVC is - and I didn't even go a big shopping centre.

I've probably spent about £100 (don't tell the hubby:wink:) but have so much for my money.

And to think I'd normally be glued to the TV today for kipling and easily spending £50 on a bag:wonder:

no doubt about it, there is a lot to say for not waiting 5 - 7 working days ( or longer ) and using your new purchases straight away. Being happy with the colour or fabric and not having to send it back and waiting 21 days to get your money back.
And the fashion is a little more "on trend" in the real world too:wink:

AND no Glen to give fashion advise! Now that has to be worth it

I was laughing at Dale and Claire last night trying to justify the p and p during the Dimonique final show. It went a bit like this

Dale "I know people sometimes say the p and p is quite a lot but think if you went to the high street and paid to park"

Claire "oohh that would be at least £3"

Dale "£5 in London"

of course totally missing the fact that QVC charges p and p per item so a mere two purchases will generally exceed the cost of parking, bus, tram etc. If I go the the dreaded hgh street I get a fair few things and (sin of sins) have a coffee which strangely does not cost me over £5 as I know some great little cafes. Glad you had a nice little spree RD. I am off to Dunelm today as I too have a day off. Am looking forward to browsing and choosing some house stuff and bringing my spoils back home to enjoy straight away. No Kelly Hoppen for me!!

well for my roughly £100 - I got 3 pairs of linen trousers,1 necklace,1 bag,1 dress,1 top,1 denim skirt and new hose for my henry hoover:clapping:

I don't like the denim skirt so thats going back (M&S) and I ummed and arghed over the top as I thought it was over priced at £28 ( a new range in debenhams similiar to fat face) I even stood and thought well I consider Casual and co kaftans at qvc for not a lot less, with £3.95 postage!!! and with that I was swiftly off to the till:rock:

Dread to think how much that lot would have cost me in postage :cash::thinking:

Have just ordered some Elemis today, prompted by the free P&P.MY QVC shopping has taken a sharp decline because I know I can get many items locally without any P&P & with free parking/ travel( bus pass!!!)
If you live in a country area this is more difficult but so many websites are competitive on P&P.I ordered something from John Lewis ( Free) & was` able to take it back to my local store ( free except car costs)I think it is something QVC will have to address, did pick up on Dale & Clare last night, so it must be something they are conscious of.

I've hardly spent any money at all in the last few months,so didn't feel bad about my splurge today.Nor did I feel bad,it was on me,as all the money I do have spare goes on my kids or my house.Like I've said I don't actually like the shops and really do enjoy QVC and all my internet shopping from my sofa !

I really really do think that qvc have to look at their P&P in the future - theres so much competition out there - high street and internet

I've hardly spent any money at all in the last few months,so didn't feel bad about my splurge today.Nor did I feel bad,it was on me,as all the money I do have spare goes on my kids or my house.Like I've said I don't actually like the shops and really do enjoy QVC and all my internet shopping from my sofa !

I really really do think that qvc have to look at their P&P in the future - theres so much competition out there - high street and internet

Absolutely - it's only the p&p that makes me think twice about buying lots of items.

agree the p&p puts me off other top sites give us free p&p why can't they? prob lose too much money but surely people would buy more if they didn't have to pay to get things delivered i'm no mary portas (love her) but surely that's what would likely happen

I remember at Xmas, Elemis had a TSV with (I think) £5.95 P&P.
I think they sold about 25,000-30,000 Units, so they made between £148,750.00 - £178,500.00 on P&P charges alone!!
That is some money they are making before the massive profit on the goods.

agree the p&p puts me off other top sites give us free p&p why can't they?

Just a thought - maybe it's because a lot of the websites that offer free p&p get income from advertising other products/websites, etc. QVC only advertise their own products so no extra income, hence high p&p.

I was laughing at Dale and Claire last night trying to justify the p and p during the Dimonique final show. It went a bit like this

Dale "I know people sometimes say the p and p is quite a lot but think if you went to the high street and paid to park"

Claire "oohh that would be at least £3"

Dale "£5 in London"

of course totally missing the fact that QVC charges p and p per item so a mere two purchases will generally exceed the cost of parking, bus, tram etc. If I go the the dreaded hgh street I get a fair few things and (sin of sins) have a coffee which strangely does not cost me over £5 as I know some great little cafes. Glad you had a nice little spree RD. I am off to Dunelm today as I too have a day off. Am looking forward to browsing and choosing some house stuff and bringing my spoils back home to enjoy straight away. No Kelly Hoppen for me!!

Spot on!!! Thanks for that SS.

I'm sure they will always want to charge as much as they can for p&p - as well as increasing their profit margins it helps deter people from sending items back :wait:

there are huge savIngs to be had on the high street the last kipling leather tsv is going for a whopping £65 more when you factor in the p&p on qvc than in the kipling shops. alos on the kipling websitesthey give free postage when you spend a certain amount:. the V in qvc does not equal value.:whew:

oooooooooo I am off to the High Street today - and I'm not even going to pay for parking... I am going to walk!!!

well for my roughly £100 - I got 3 pairs of linen trousers,1 necklace,1 bag,1 dress,1 top,1 denim skirt and new hose for my henry hoover:clapping:

I don't like the denim skirt so thats going back (M&S) and I ummed and arghed over the top as I thought it was over priced at £28 ( a new range in debenhams similiar to fat face) I even stood and thought well I consider Casual and co kaftans at qvc for not a lot less, with £3.95 postage!!! and with that I was swiftly off to the till:rock:

Dread to think how much that lot would have cost me in postage :cash::thinking:

Thats 9 items rainbowdottie and if you average a very conservative £3 per item for postage that would be £27 alone almost a third of your total purchases !!:happy::happy::happy:

I agree that they probably use the P&P as a deterrent against people sending stuff back.

I recently bought some of the new strong arnica gel and really didn't like it (gloopy/sticky and - not mentionedin the presentations as far as I remember - it says on the packaging to be careful of clothes staining). It cost about £20 plus about £4 p&P and to send back was going to be about £2. So I did think twice about sending it back because that was £6 lost. But then I thought to myself what matters now is whether I'd rather use the product up or spend the refund I'd eventually get (£20 minus £2 P&P cost of sending it back) on something else (e.g., four tubes of arnicare which is a great product imo). I chose the latter...

Anyway digressed a bit there. However, deterrent aside I actually think in my professional experience of marketing/consumer psychology research that in the long run QVC woudl make more money if they had free P&P and maybe added a couple of quid to their prices(which woudl not really be noticed as much)..

I got a load of stuff on Amazon the other day and they combined it all into one free "super saver" delivery, have ordered some beautiful sliver jewellery as they have a sale on at the moment. Yesterday I got some lovely voile curtains for my bedroom at Dunelem for a mere £18 they look great and guess what......I had a diet coke and a salmon and creamcheese sandwich in their cafe for a mere £4 60p, read the paper and relaxed. Then I walked home in the sunshine. Today however I have succumbed to some Elemis from "them" as the free p and p makes it a lot more alluring.

I am currently in the High Street (ie Oxford Street) having just looked at the Kipling store's selection of half-price leather bags - and the train ticket was roughly eqivalent to one lot of p&p.

Latest posts

Back