AY's hair on Tarte 8pm

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Not having time to do her hair make up and clothes is not an excuse for someone in the Beauty industry. She is supposed to be setting an example of how fabulous the products she is flogging make you look. The ladies on the beauty counters in my local Debenhams look fabulous and lots of them have a home and children to care for. AY looks a disgrace at times and there is no excuse for it. IMO.

Not having time to do her hair make up and clothes is not an excuse for someone in the Beauty industry. She is supposed to be setting an example of how fabulous the products she is flogging make you look. The ladies on the beauty counters in my local Debenhams look fabulous and lots of them have a home and children to care for. AY looks a disgrace at times and there is no excuse for it. IMO.

This was the point I was trying to make.

And that roots are fine - just not plastered to the scalp with a dull powder, looking like she's trying to cover them up.

I get unreasonably offended by her "I'm a beauty expert" attitude when she clearly doesn't look like one. I also feel sorry for people who get taken in by her "beauty expert qualifications" and take tips from her!

Alison Young is a beauty presenter, and absolutely not an "expert" she's just there to flog QVC overly expensive, unnecessary beauty products that's all.

Actually they are. All the young women I work with have their roots just like this at the moment, and they tell me it's absolutely on trend. The natural blondes are even having their roots died dark, and the red carpets are full of celebs with dark roots. Google "dark roots blonde hair trend" and see.

Not 50 year old women who unfortunately just look awful! Just because something is a trend with 20 some things does not mean it will work with a middled aged woman

Actually they are. All the young women I work with have their roots just like this at the moment, and they tell me it's absolutely on trend. The natural blondes are even having their roots died dark, and the red carpets are full of celebs with dark roots. Google "dark roots blonde hair trend" and see.

I respect your comments but honestly don't really get it! I remember when a lot of so called celebs and others had bottom of their hair a different colour and trying to be trendy! Worked for some, like musicians, artists but others looked awful! Anyways I've never thought of Ali being trendy, new look maybe! :mysmilie_48:

It's all about accepting what suits you and what doesn't suit you, isn't it. Nothing wrong with trying new styles or trends, but you've got to have some sort of an idea whether it's going to look any good on you - especially if you claim to be a beauty expert. Unfortunately Ali seems to persist with trends in make up and hair that just don't suit her, and for that reason I would never take any advice from her - if she can't get it right herself then how the hell can her judgement be trusted for others.

Not 50 year old women who unfortunately just look awful! Just because something is a trend with 20 some things does not mean it will work with a middled aged woman

I agree. I would have thought that the majority of QVC's viewers would be more interested in getting a look that is appropriate and flattering rather than being bang on trend. I'm sure we have all seen people who have followed the latest trend when they really shouldn't have.

Unless you are very young or very lucky you can't just take a trend and stick it in the middle of your normal attire and expect to look like something out of a glossy mag.

It's like wearing Jimmy Choo shoes with your C&A track suit to Asda and expecting to carry it off like Kate Moss. You either need the full look or be one of the few people who can throw any old thing on and "make it their own" (see I've got the all the cliches) . Sorry neither AY nor myself fall into this category and I have 15 years on her and I think she is old fashioned !!!

It's a bit like Pipa, especially pre long hair, who could manage to wear the worst of Q fashions but in a way which managed to make it look modern but on every other presenter it looked exactly what it was, frumpy overpriced tat.

It all just comes down to personal taste - always demonstrated by how often, at the same time threads like this run here, there's another thread running on Q Facebook full of people saying how great they think So-and-so looks and asking how they've done their hair, what make-up they're wearing and if what they're wearing is for sale on Q. What we here think of as appropriate and flattering is laughed at as incredibly off trend and old fashioned by those in other places. As one of the women I work with has said, the last thing she wants to be is "appropriate"!

Last edited:
It all just comes down to personal taste - always demonstrated by how often, at the same time threads like this run here, there's another thread running on Q Facebook full of people saying how great they think So-and-so looks and asking how they've done their hair, what make-up they're wearing and if what they're wearing is for sale on Q. What we here think of as appropriate and flattering is laughed at as incredibly off trend and old fashioned by those in other places. As one of the women I work with has said, the last thing she wants to be is "appropriate"!

I agree we have different ideas. For example an earlier poster said that she thought that Jill F had lovely hair whereas I think it is awful. So just goes to show we all have tastes.

Now and again on FB I see people asking what colour of nail polish AY is wearing or something along those lines but I`ve never seen a thread where people are begging for info on how she gets her dark roots, dreadful frocks or shiny face. As my Mum always said " there`s nowt so queer as folks " so maybe one day Q`s facebook followers will be queuing up wanting to look like Miss Ali. People can make as many excuses for her as they please, she is a supposed BEAUTY expert and as such, even in middle age and with age related complexion issues, she should be setting an example of how to apply makeup, rather than how not to.
As someone on another thread said about JC, there`s a time to hang up your shimmer brick and call it a day and if Ali Young is the best they can provide as a beauty expert, then up and coming new younger QVC customers aren`t going to hang around for long.

It's all about accepting what suits you and what doesn't suit you, isn't it. Nothing wrong with trying new styles or trends, but you've got to have some sort of an idea whether it's going to look any good on you - especially if you claim to be a beauty expert. Unfortunately Ali seems to persist with trends in make up and hair that just don't suit her, and for that reason I would never take any advice from her - if she can't get it right herself then how the hell can her judgement be trusted for others.

Aha! Another person who has managed to say what I wanted to.

I agree. I would have thought that the majority of QVC's viewers would be more interested in getting a look that is appropriate and flattering rather than being bang on trend. I'm sure we have all seen people who have followed the latest trend when they really shouldn't have.

And another. Some 'trends' should be banned past 20. I had a colleague years ago who insisted on trying out 'pop star/glamour girl' fashion on her nights out (low-slung jeans with no waistband complete with g-string and see-thru chap jeans!). Might have looked good on a skinny 20 year-old, definitely NOT on a size 16 50 year-old. I still shudder about the night she turned braless up in a chainmail halter. Again, 20 year-old girl, fine. 50 year-old woman who breast-fed 5 children? No. Her teenage boys were horrified, but she thought she looked great.

What puzzled me was she ALWAYS looked professional and smart at work. And I'd give my eye teeth for an ounce of her confidence.

Unless you are very young or very lucky you can't just take a trend and stick it in the middle of your normal attire and expect to look like something out of a glossy mag.

It's like wearing Jimmy Choo shoes with your C&A track suit to Asda and expecting to carry it off like Kate Moss. You either need the full look or be one of the few people who can throw any old thing on and "make it their own" (see I've got the all the cliches) . Sorry neither AY nor myself fall into this category and I have 15 years on her and I think she is old fashioned !!!

It's a bit like Pipa, especially pre long hair, who could manage to wear the worst of Q fashions but in a way which managed to make it look modern but on every other presenter it looked exactly what it was, frumpy overpriced tat.

Definitely.

Pipa with short hair had that modern, edgy look that looks great on people who can carry it off (helps that she's slim so could wear a sack and look good).

Apologies for all the separate quoted posts. My sleep-starved brain can't work out how to answer multiple quotes in one post.

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

. . . . . she should be setting an example of how to apply makeup, rather than how not to. . . . .

But what makes those of us on here the arbiters of good taste? Again, it's all a matter of personal taste. I think the make-up (particularly the eye make-up) they do on Tarte, BM, LG, Benefit etc is Ghastly with a capital G, but it almost always sells out so clearly I'm in the minority. And recently I watched 5 minutes of one of those show of young Brits abroad. All the girls looked like they'd been made-up on a QVC beauty show. Ghastly eyes and overly-made-up faces, so clearly the Q shows are bang in line with current trends. Other people have a right to their own tastes, and the fact that we here don't like something doesn't make it wrong.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is a generation thing where 50/60's are looking for a "made up to the eyeballs but look as if we are wearing very little and it's all natural" whereas the look for younger folk it more in your face. Eyebrows now have a life of their own and are totally unnatural looking, eyelashes have to look as if you are wearing falsies, blusher/contouring/shimmer brick has to be obvious. In other words subtle it ain't!

Next time the Boots ad is on for those slimming tablets, the one where about half a dozen girls are strutting their stuff, watch out for the girl in the gold foil mini dress. Do you think this is the look AY is trying for????

Latest posts

Back