Are TSV prices legal?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I find Aldi and Lidl a better shopping experience than the other supwermarkets. There never seem to be kids belting round it or gaggles of mummies yacking in the middle of the aisles. The staff politely show you where stuff is if asked and you can proceed through checkout without being asked umpteen questions. Oh and the food is comparatively better too IMO.

I haven't been to Lidl but a big thumbs up for Aldi, which i have just started using.lovely quality for a fraction of the supermarket prices. What's not to like?

Pots of night cream and day cream are £3-49 in Lidl (Cien). I don't know if they are any good but my OH may try them soon to compare with her expensive ones.

I had one open near me about a year ago, and the staff are all very helpful.

The staff policy is multi-tasking, everyone has to do everything. I've often seen the manager mopping the floor when other staff are busy, as well as heavy shelf stacking such as furniture (she is female BTW).

If no-one is at the checkout, the checkout operator does shelf-stacking nearby, but goes back to the till as soon as anyone arrives. They open more tills as and when they are needed, including the store manager on the tills.

Apparently they get paid well too.

AND BACK TO THE TOPIC LOL - - They have "TSV's" on Monday's and Thursdays and they are superb value. I've just bought myself a remote controlled helicopter (but don't tell my OH).

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about Lidl and Aldi is the experience of nearly having your hand taken off by the mindless cashiers when they take great pleasure in whizzing the "next customer" bar at 100 mph along the belt each time they've served someone. They all seem to do it round here, got know idea why they feel the need to do it, they are lethal with them!!

At least you can get one! Tesco only seem to have 2 per till, and when you are at the far end of the belt you have no chance of getting one, as the operators don't bother to whizz them anywhere!

I forgot to say that Lidl also have 4 items at 1/2 price every weekend eg chocloate bars 19P, choc biscuits 43P, cucumber 34P, 5KG onions 99P!!!!!

As I live very close, I take advantage of all these offers if they are things I want. You don't often get things at 1/2 price on QVC.

I think we are lucky here because my nearest Lidl received a revamp and extension last year and it is fab now and the staff are all very pleasant. Try the tinned peaches - they are gorgeous and nicer than any other brand imo!

Maybe I should try the Lidl food lines, reflexgirl - my neighbours rave about the deli. Looking at comments on here, there are obviously big variations in the stores - you mention pleasant staff where the ones at my local Lidl were incredibly miserable. If they cheered up a bit and improved the stark lighting and smell in there, it would be a lot better.

I think buyers are quite pleased to be able to purchase an item at a reduced price, so are not too concerned with the legalities or intricacies of the pricing structure. A tsv is not a sale item,so the policy does not apply in that case. If you notice, when QVC have items in the bargain section, they have been on sale at the higher price for more than 28 days, so QVC are abiding by the OFT rules of retail.

As well as this thread, there are lots of comments on other threads that the TSV prices are not such a "Special Value" as they used to be, especially compared with the "intro price" they go to the next day, not the "QVC price".

I imagine it's the term special value that helps QVC not have their tsv's catogorised under sale items, it's a very general description really.

Re Aldi and Lidl- my Aldi local are so friendly, they know who you are and are always politeand the food quaity is so good. My fave supermarket.

Maybe I should try the Lidl food lines, reflexgirl - my neighbours rave about the deli. Looking at comments on here, there are obviously big variations in the stores - you mention pleasant staff where the ones at my local Lidl were incredibly miserable. If they cheered up a bit and improved the stark lighting and smell in there, it would be a lot better.

I do agree AndiK, the whole shopping experience has to be taken into account, not just price/quality and I do agree that if a shop smells , looks tatty or has unhelpful staff I would not shop there either. Another Lidl I called in to about a month ago was nowhere near as nice as our revamped one. HOWEVER, do give some of the food a try, Crown Special Flakes are Exactly the same as Kellogs Special K - no difference and i have tried all the supermarket own brands and they were not as nice but the Crown ones are really good and massively cheaper.

Back to the thread, I agree with Louise66, TSV's are not sale items so the rules regarding pricing do not apply.

Pots of night cream and day cream are £3-49 in Lidl (Cien). I don't know if they are any good but my OH may try them soon to compare with her expensive ones.

I had one open near me about a year ago, and the staff are all very helpful.

The staff policy is multi-tasking, everyone has to do everything. I've often seen the manager mopping the floor when other staff are busy, as well as heavy shelf stacking such as furniture (she is female BTW).

If no-one is at the checkout, the checkout operator does shelf-stacking nearby, but goes back to the till as soon as anyone arrives. They open more tills as and when they are needed, including the store manager on the tills.

Apparently they get paid well too.

AND BACK TO THE TOPIC LOL - - They have "TSV's" on Monday's and Thursdays and they are superb value. I've just bought myself a remote controlled helicopter (but don't tell my OH).

that's interesting about opening tills cos that's the reason i don't go in there. the one near me has 3 tills. almost all of the time there is only one open so if you want a few things and there are 2 or 3 heaped trollies in front of you, you can be there all day. i still go in occasionally to look at the weekly offers but i've never not found them all sold out.

Latest posts

Back