Are QVC doing anything special on there last day at Battersea

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I notice the final show at Battersea, will be Honora pearls, anybody know if that will be a bog standard pearl TSV launch show, or will they be celebrating, I know last time Ralph was over, he was saying how privledged he was in being asked to do the final show at Battersea

I notice the Morning Show on the 7th, is titled Grand Opening, will that be a day of special offers.

Wonder which presenter they will use as opening the first show in Chisick, be nice if it was Kathy, as the morning show is kind of her baby, but no wonder it will probably be Dale or Juila or the likes

good thread jazzy, what is the date for the changeover then?

i am looking forward to seeing the new sets etc.... i do hope they have taken the opportunity to make some improvements such as

1. not being able to hear the footsteps of models on the "catwalk" (so very very naff)
2. having kitchen sets with working power outlets and sinks with working drains
3. no more picture frames on the walls with nothing in them except the wall behind. this was briefly trendy but never a good look.
4. a proper garden which is not a car park.

we can live in hope!

Awww, I reckon Ralph is quite attractive. Got the Clint Eastwood look about him. If I was twenty years older....

Is QVC is filmed in HD - I believe this is different than viewing on an HD TV. IM not a techie so perhaps someone can correct me! I assume the new sets will be HD ready - i remember the soaps going through a similar process over the past year with all new sets.

Personally i think they should save the fanfare for the new premises and live in hope that the new location isnt the only change around QVC!!

I don't think they broadcast in HD or have plans to do so.

A brief history - - - - >

The original black and white TV's going back to the 1950's and 60's had 405 horizontal lines across the screen, and you could actually see these lines.

Then when BBC2 came out, you had to buy a completely new set to watch it, and these had 625 lines, which were hardly visible.

Then HD started, and there are 2 types of TV sets available.

Sets called "HD ready" use 720 lines, and that is what HD broadcasters use.

The highest definition sets, called "full HD" use 1080 lines, but there are no broadcasts for these, but Bluray disks use 1080 lines I believe (I am open to correction because I don't have Bluray or a full HD set).

Anyway, if QVC started a HD service, it would only be at 720 lines, and you would need a different freeview box (if you use freeview) to watch it, even if you had a HD ready TV.

Last edited:
Just to be pedantic, modern TV's are digital and don't use lines as such, but the concept is still the same.

In fact, they use dots, otherwise known as pixels.

A full HD TV has 1080 dots vertically, and 1920 dots across the screen (more dots because the screen is wider than its height).

If you look closely at the screen with a magnifying glass, you will be able to see these pixels.

BTW for anyone who is wondering why an individual dot on the picture is called a pixel, it was orignally called a PICture ELement, but PICEL was not easy to know how to pronounce and so became PIXEL.

See if you can count them, there are 2,073,600 on a full HD TV.

PS I refer you to my motto below lol.

Last edited:
Thanks Stratobuddy! I apprecaite you taking the time to explain all that although i have to confess to a small giggle by the time i reached post 3!!!

That's correct, blu-ray is the ONLY way to get Full HD 1080p images. Satellie and Freeview HD are in 720p and 1080i. p stands for progressive, i stands for interlaced. p is superior to i.

QVC neither film nor broadcast in HD in this country.

As an aside, don't be fooled by these camcorders that claim they film in 1080p, ie don't assume that means Full HD, because it doesn't! Full HD is only 1920x1080. Some camcorders record in 1440x1080 which makes the pixels non-square and a bugger to edit on a proper editing suite. Sorry, I geeked there :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back