Archos 10 TSV - 14/03/09

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rosey

Registered Shopper
Don't know if this has been posted before but saw a 'red flash advert' this morning for saturdays tsv - the new Archos 10 netbook. Does anyone have any more info? and is it any good. I am looking to get one and would be interested if it was ok, a good price and easypay. My worry is that Archos arent a computer maker. My preference at the moment and going by the reviews on Amazon is for the Samsung NC10 - I know a lot of you got this one when it was tsv - do you like??

Sorry Rosey, i just started a similar thread! I looked at reviews for the ARchos 10 and they were not inspired. Claimed it was old technology and didn't do anything more than all the others out there. They were expecting "new" bells and whistles and didn't find any. Full price is £350 and I saw a Dell with similar specs in Tesco for £250 yesterday.

We must have been writing at the same time Concordia. I read the reviews on the Dell on their website and they are not good. I normally love Dell's - we already have 3 Dell laptops in the house and was keen to get a Dell netbook but this put me off. The Samsung get loads of 5* reviews on Amazon so this is swaying me at the moment. The HP one is cheap (£199) at the moment (PC World) but I can't find any reviews on this?

Samsung NC10 is good, got mine from cdiscount and paid on 3 payments with 1.99 postage on one of their recent specials. They have specials, recently they had £25 off on one occassion and another had 20% account credit. If tempted ny netbook would recommend the NC10

For £350 it isn't worth it as you are into entry level laptops with better specs and better (i.e. resolution) screens. I'm guessing it will be offered with the extended battery and slip case. It would be interesting if they offered it with a years free mobile broadband for the RRP.

But I still wouldn't buy it as it doesn't have Bluetooth which is a big negative for me now. I saw the HP 2133 Mini at £199 (smaller screen) last weekend and if you added mobile broadband you would still be better off.

Apparently the UK model will come pre-installed with free software, including Lotus Symphony, Skype and the obsolete Outlook Express. The latter has already been replaced by Microsoft with the Windows Live Mail application.

Also it appears it is manufactured by Hasee (a French manufacturer).

reading reviews online it is nothing special - i think i would advise people to buy the Samsung NC10 if they must buy a netbook.

Maybe QVC will get a few more extras added that might make it look more interesting.

Another Samsung NC10 user. I've also tried Archos with the 605...had so many problems with them I wouldn't touch another.

I got my NC10 from CDiscount too...great company. I absolutely adore it, use it everyday and wouldn't give it back. The start up time is fantastic, it's whisper quiet and very portable. The near full size keyboard is fab...one gripe is the touchpad, but you can buy a mini mouse cheaply and that's you set.

HTH

Les x

Snap! I also bought the archos 605 (30gb) and I wouldn't buy another archos branded machine. Also, computers aren't archos's bag, so I would stick with a proven company.

It is $399 in the States with a 3 cell battery and $449 with a 6 cell which equates to approx £280 and £300 it will be interesting to see how much QVC over charge their custmers in the UK.

Archos Netbook 10.2" LCD, 160GB HD with Webcam, Case Extra Battery & Adaptor
Item Number: 561058
QVC Price £402.00
Today's Special Value Price £347.88
Availability In stock
UK P&P £0.00

Work, play and surf the web on the Archos 10 netbook. Perfect for on-the-go computing, it boasts a compact design and a 10.2" screen, as well as two mains chargers and a spare battery. Surf the web with the built-in Wi-Fi (coverage needed), and make voice and video calls with the built-in webcam and mic. You can work on the netbook thanks to Lotus office software. We've thrown in two £40 Archos Media vouchers so you can access online movies. You'll receive six month trial versions of Bitdefender internet security and Parental Control filter included.

Sorry but i have to turn off when that terrible man from Archos is on.
How on earth he is the managing director - his voice just drones on and on!

It doesn't look very inspiring - the 'combined' battery life for the two batteries is only 5 hours????? The Samsung is 6-7 hours just for the one. I don't think I will bother even with the 4 easy pay. Much better machines out there and better prices.

Hi All :1:,

The battery life is because it uses a 3 cell battery to save on size and weight, you can buy a 6 cell battery though which is what the Samsung uses.

Unfortunately the machines specifications are governed by Intel, that is why you will not see a "Netbook" with a bigger hard drive than 160GB also the amount of ram and processor such as the Atom N270 is pretty much the same in all of them. Spec wise this is as good as they get.

The Samsung is a good machine though, but the innards if you like are basically the same. Plus you don't get the added value that Archos is giving.

Those pouch thingys are about £20, an extra mains unit and battery are worth having.

Hope this helps anyone,

Techie.

Expensive for what it is - the Samsung is a better deal as the battery is better and costs less. The office software and anti virus stuff is not really important as you can get very good free office software like Open Office and the free AVG anti virus software.

Alan

Hi All :1:,

The battery life is because it uses a 3 cell battery to save on size and weight, you can buy a 6 cell battery though which is what the Samsung uses.

Unfortunately the machines specifications are governed by Intel, that is why you will not see a "Netbook" with a bigger hard drive than 160GB also the amount of ram and processor such as the Atom N270 is pretty much the same in all of them. Spec wise this is as good as they get.

The Samsung is a good machine though, but the innards if you like are basically the same. Plus you don't get the added value that Archos is giving.

Those pouch thingys are about £20, an extra mains unit and battery are worth having.

Hope this helps anyone,

Techie.

Nope, no bluetooth. For the base price I'd expect it to have it built in. In reality, the added value of movies you can get from Archos direct anyway plus the extended battery is only £20 more on the Archos website deal. The slipcase, well ok not exactly a deal breaker is handy but if you consider that you can get the Samsung around £300 and buy a case, you'd still have a better machine with money to spare. With Bluetooth and a choice of colours :)

This looked ok, but the Samsung is believed to be the best available at the moment. Was going to get it to try but decided i didn't actually need it :32:

Hi,

Well Bluetooth yes I have it on my Laptop, I have had my laptop about a year and a half and it has never been used.

The extra mains unit on the other hand I would use, as I would use the case.

I guess it comes down to whether you value the extras, comparing like for like with no extras yes the Samsung looks attractive but again if you really look at the spec they both use the same processor, the same ram, the same Hard Disk Drive, but the Samsung is heavier due to the 6 cell battery.

But with £80 worth of movies plus the two mains adaptors and pouch I think its pretty good.

I am undecided at the moment, but I am tempted....

Techie.

Samsung comes with a slip case as standard, whereas the Archos is an extra. The Samsung is also lighter at 1.3kg compared to the Archos at 1.4kg.

Hi,

Just checked the weights, the Samsung is very good for a 6 cell unit at 1.33kg, the Archos according to their website anyway is 1.296kg so hardly anything in it weight wise.

I didn't realise it came with a slip case (Samsung) so thanks for that, although trusted reviews website says the only two main criticisms are the slip case is poor and the touch pad mouse is too small. Ironically the touchpad is one of the areas the Archos is praised! I suppose you cannot be good at everything.

Thanks for all the extra info,

Techie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back