Archos 10 TSV - 14/03/09

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hi,

Just checked the weights, the Samsung is very good for a 6 cell unit at 1.33kg, the Archos according to their website anyway is 1.296kg so hardly anything in it weight wise.

I didn't realise it came with a slip case (Samsung) so thanks for that, although trusted reviews website says the only two main criticisms are the slip case is poor and the touch pad mouse is too small. Ironically the touchpad is one of the areas the Archos is praised! I suppose you cannot be good at everything.

Thanks for all the extra info,

Techie.

I've had the Samsung NC10 netbook since Christmas and I love it. I find the touchpad fine - plenty big enough (for my dainty digits!). The slip case is rubbish, made of some sort of thin felt, the flap does not fasten, it just sort of....flaps!

Linda

Unfortunately the machines specifications are governed by Intel, that is why you will not see a "Netbook" with a bigger hard drive than 160GB also the amount of ram and processor such as the Atom N270 is pretty much the same in all of them. Spec wise this is as good as they get.

Actually if you check out the MSI range of netbooks you'll find that the top of the range ones have the capability of adding in an extra 1Gb of RAM pushing the machine up to 2Gb. I assume this is because Micro Star International make their own mother boards. It also has 802.11bgn network capabilities as opposed to just the standard b & g. Won't mean much to the standard home user, I know, but for the more technically minded it's a real plus point. (I think it goes without saying that it has bluetooth at this stage, which is useful if you want to have a wireless mouse without needing a USB receiver.)

On a less techie note they also come with proper zip around padded cases, as standard, in colours to match the frankly gorgeous case finishes they do. Even the plain black is beautiful, but it also comes in white or pink. :1:

Why they keep bringing out Netbooks running WXP out i don't know as WXP comes into extended support on April 14 2009 FINE YOU STILL GET THE UPDATES BUT any Tech support YOU HAVE TO PAY unless Microsoft has done some sort of deal can't see them doing this.

Last edited:
Why they keep bringing out Netbooks running WXP out i don't know as WXP comes into extended support on April 14 2009 FINE YOU STILL GET THE UPDATES BUT any Tech support YOU HAVE TO PAY unless Microsoft has done some sort of deal can't see them doing this.
SORRY correction you won't get all the updates as you have been use to.

Come on, exactly how many of us on here ring MS for support? WinXP is perfectly fine for many years to come without being updated. In fact, this laptop I'm writing on had the latest updates on it and removed one of my drivers that I use for wireless! Needless to say, my other desktop hasn't had any updates and is perfectly fine without updates.

Come on, exactly how many of us on here ring MS for support? WinXP is perfectly fine for many years to come without being updated. In fact, this laptop I'm writing on had the latest updates on it and removed one of my drivers that I use for wireless! Needless to say, my other desktop hasn't had any updates and is perfectly fine without updates.
Oh come on if Microsoft had it's way XP won't have 5 years they will do what they did with W2000 they stopped updating drivers and a lot of software no longer supports W2000.

Generally you don't need the updates though - XP is about as secure as it will get now and most of the updates are for IE and you can always get updates for that or use another browser like Firefox or Opera.

Windows 7 will be out at the end of the year or early next year and then the Netbooks will start using that or the Linux versions some of them use.

Alan

Latest posts

Back