anyone tried/got bobbi brown shimmer brick

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's meant to be used just to highlight and not as a blusher or a bronzer BUT it is too shimmery and I hardly use mine - I wouldn't recommend it I'm afraid.

I owned three and gave them away in the end.

Bronze, Apricot and the Rose. I thought they made the cheeks too shiney shimmery. Prefer the Smashbox softlights more wearable. To be honest if you are over 35 don't go near the BB Shimmerbrick.

I agree - Smashbox is more wearable and less expensive.

I am well over 35 - and I have to agree that there are better items than Shimmerbrick for us mature ladies!

I agree - Smashbox is more wearable and less expensive.

I am well over 35 - and I have to agree that there are better items than Shimmerbrick for us mature ladies!

Awwwww, I am over 35 and I love me shimmer bricks!! I have a tawny, a platinum something or other, and this years face and body brick. They're all really nice but I don't trowel them on (and I'm not suggesting anyone else does either!) so they can be quite subtle. People often ask me what skincare/cosmetics do I use (friends have started asking me to do their wedding make up which is just lovely) so it can't look that bad surely?!?! :sad: Everyone is different and anything is worth trying before making up your mind isn't it?

Just had another thought - I use the palest foundations in all the ranges and I find that the Laura Geller "ethereal rose" baked thingy gives a really good effect. I use it as a blush usually..... it has a little shimmer but not too much.

My sister and I were made up at the Bobbi Brown counter and both loved our shimmer bricks in the shop. I went for the pink option (can't remember the shade offhand) and my sister bought the peach. However, in the harsh light of day it was a different story. I noticed the awful effect on my sister's skin when we got outside but didn't like to mention it, whilst I was seriously hoping it didn't look like that on me! It did, of course... :sad:

I'd say it's great if your are youngish but as we are both in our 40's it highlighted every line with the strong shimmer.(not that we have that many lines you understand.. ahem...) A few weeks later she rang me up saying she'd caught sight of herself in a mirror somewhere and was horrified!

If you are a wee bit older, then maybe take aragorn030's advice and apply it very sparingly.

I'd say though that I too just love Smashbox softlights - absolutely gorgeous.

This is the thing - everyone's so different. I had a bad experience with a soft lights fusion - it gave me an 'alcholic flush' which isn't good when you're rushing to get to work. I had to frantically rub my face to try and tone it down, which obviously didn't help matters but it was the best I could do at the time.......

I've got brown hair and olive skin and the pink quartz didn't show up, the bronze was just sparkly and boring on me so bought the Rose. I never use it, prefer my Mac or Urban Decay blush in Score and Fetish.

ok my take so far:happy:

I'm 35.

I've been on the qvc website and its meant to be a blush and a highlighter by the demonstration - and maybe an eyeshadow if you really wanted to use it that way?

I don't actually use loads of make up - however I've always used bronzer and now feel it ageing me - I want to be able to use a blusher and highlighter now,and this was recommended to me.I actually don't mind a bit of sparkle - but like you say,am worried about being a 70's disco diva:blush:

I used one of the orginal laura geller's baked face thingy's and it made me positively orange:sweat:

Way back as well I bought a smashbox try me - and again the whole emphasis was very browns and oranges and - maybe unfairly - its put me off the whole range.

The only make up I've ever seem to have gelled with at qvc was models prefer - but funnily enough not YBF.

I did try bare escentuals but it was too messy for me and All I could see was pounds all over my bedroom floor and not the the powder!!!!!!! It seems ludicrus to suggest that BE was too expensive for the mess I wasted when I'm considering buying this - but I've heard this last ages?

As for being orange phobe,you may wonder then why I'm thinking apricot?! I'm worried that the pink will make me look more "rosey" and more flushed than I already am - and I don't want the bronze to end up with just another bronzer.Like I say I maybe would have gone for the nude with no questions asked if the option had been there -and with a suntan,maybe/definitely the rose option./would you believe the video clip runs out at the point where they are going to suggest what colours for who:angry:

I've asked my MIL to go to john lewis tomorrow to see if she can shed any light on it ie asking a few questions at the counter and I notice there are two BB shows on sunday - however its a bit of an arse to wait in the whole day for these two shows!

I dunno - if you remember my emu boots saga,you'll know once I have a bee in my bonnet,I'm not satified until I try - but I dunno what even colourway to order?! or tbh what to do with it!! (so why do I want it:giggle::wink2:)

ok just thinking out loud:talking:

The nude it appears doesn't have the white highlighter which is what I want (I think)

On another inspection on the qvc website,I'm now drawn to the rose.

oooohhh :doh: I's confused:blush:

Lordy, it's so complicated isn't it? Good luck Rainbowdottie, hope you sort it out. I have been tempted by the Shimmerbrick in the past, looks so pretty. I do like a bit of a glow on my cheekbones, I have an olive skin and find that Laura Geller suits me but so does a Boots No 7 thingy I have had for ages. At least you can have a play with it if you get is from QVC and then pack it back off to them if it does not suit.

Spot on! Plus I find it rather outdated. xx

Well yeah, there was also that factor. The shimmer brick came out so strongly on my pale skin that it reminded me very much of the 80s - and just as I wouldn't wear a ra ra skirt, leg warmers or pedal pushers ever again, I think I'm too old to rock the girls from Human League / Gloria Gaynor cheeks as well!

My skin's just so pale that Shimmer Brick was just too obvious for the look I like to achieve.

Plus of course my skin is already so luminous from using all that QVC skincare that I just don'y need any more shimmer and shine on it! ;) :D :grin: (Yeah riiiiight!)

I'm glad I tried them though, cos otherwise I'd still be yearning for them! :blush:

I owned three and gave them away in the end.

Bronze, Apricot and the Rose. I thought they made the cheeks too shiney shimmery. Prefer the Smashbox softlights more wearable.

.....and guess who she gave them to :?::LOL:

I LOVE them( aside from the ones my friend Dee gave me) I also have a gold version, tawny version and a beige one .

OH NO!!!!!!!!!! A nude version :?::dance::dance:

DONNA restrain me please.................:scared::scared::scared:

.....and guess who she gave them to :?::LOL:

I LOVE them( aside from the ones my friend Dee gave me) I also have a gold version, tawny version and a beige one .

OH NO!!!!!!!!!! A nude version :?::dance::dance:

DONNA restrain me please.................:scared::scared::scared:

I shall have a rolled up newspaper with me to smack your hands away.

Anyone tried the shimmer brick that the old chap does from Ideal World, Jerome something ?[Says he invented it] and talks about products on 'other' shoppng channels selling the same idea but for three times the price. Would this be a good alternative I wonder? Would like to know as like all of us, I love a bargain!

Latest posts

Back