Another QVC con

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If Lee Holbein had any moral fibre about him he would refuse point blank to front the presentation of the ipad and thereby not giving any credence to QVC's underhand ways of selling. Lee is the so called expert in the field of tech and this duplicity only serves to harm his credibility.

When Lee was demo-ing this yesterday he definitely said it was a 'local rate' number.

I have just messaged him about this (below):

Can you please clarify a situation re ipad mini "added value" of 2 years technical support.

You stated that this was a local phone call, but all 4 reviews on QVC said that it is a USA number, so this added value is worthless

Some have returned the item because of this, others have kept it but are disgruntled.

What is the truth of the situation?

I wish ther was something like this for Android, I am struggling a bit with my new tablet trying to do things that are easy on the ipad.

TBH it took a long time to learn the ipad as well, I gradually discovered things by accident or word of mouth.

So far, I can't find any way of jumping to the top of the page in Android, so I'm wearing my fingers out scrolling miles back up on FB etc.

Problem Google has with Android is that there are so many variations out there as each manufactuer adds their own bits and pieces onto the base Android OS. It's one of the reasons Apple is able to provide support better as they make the hardware and software.

THIS CON HAS BECOME EVEN MORE SINISTER

I've noticed that ALL the reviews have been removed, so there is now no warning that it is a USA number from the 4 reviewers.

Also, Lee specifically mentions that it is a "local rate call".

Surely all 4 reviewers who said you had to ring the USA couldn't be wrong?

And as I messaged Lee about this, I wonder if he had a hand in getting the reviews deleted?

What's weird is that they're not v smart at covering their tracks: I searched "ipad" and in the results the 2.5 out of 5 review score is still visibly but click to the item details and they're gone! Incompetent web team strikes again! Maybe they should telephone a support team on a US number!:mysmilie_17:

What's weird is that they're not v smart at covering their tracks: I searched "ipad" and in the results the 2.5 out of 5 review score is still visibly but click to the item details and they're gone! Incompetent web team strikes again! Maybe they should telephone a support team on a US number!:mysmilie_17:

I tried this to see if I could copy and paste them onto here for posterity, but, as you say, they are not there.

I wish I'd done a screenshot now, as evidence of this con, but I didn't think they would act so underhand.

I am very suspicious that drawing Lee's attention to this was the cause of the deletions, especially as he has not replied.

THIS CON HAS BECOME EVEN MORE SINISTER

I've noticed that ALL the reviews have been removed, so there is now no warning that it is a USA number from the 4 reviewers.

Also, Lee specifically mentions that it is a "local rate call".

Surely all 4 reviewers who said you had to ring the USA couldn't be wrong?

And as I messaged Lee about this, I wonder if he had a hand in getting the reviews deleted?

Very interesting indeed Stratobuddy! There is definitely something fishy going on.

BREAKING NEWS

I've just rung CS (ANONYMOUSLY with a withheld number).

After being on hold twice for a while, they said that they were removed because they were misleading.

I was told that it WAS indeed a USA number, but it was only charged at a local UK rate!

At least 2 of the reviewers said they were returning their items because of this USA number, and the others all warned about it.

What QVC have said may be true, but what a fiasco, not letting people who bought it know about this when they received the package.

It does seem likely that Lee was involved with this, as the reviews were there for quite a time until soon after I messaged Lee.

All very incompetent with misleading. But what should you expect from Number Two?

When I was a little girl, Number Two meant something entirely different, related to potty training.

All very incompetent with misleading. But what should you expect from Number Two?

When I was a little girl, Number Two meant something entirely different, related to potty training.

And yesterday they were selling something called "Number 2".

And if you take a guess about what it was for - - - - yes, you are right!

I can't find it now, I think it must have sold out.

A better option to deleting reviews would be to post a response. Lots of online retailers do this from Lakeland to Ideal World. It would be far more informative to leave the reviews and explain that the US number isn't charged as an international call.

It does raise another question: Can the supposedly independently managed review system be "tampered with" by QVC? The speed with which the reviews were removed (if Stato's query was the catalyst) seems uncharacteristically swift for QVC, if they had to contact the "review company" and for them to authorise the removal of the reviews, inform Q and Q's inept web team to act on it. (That reads a bit like a fairy tail to me)

BTW does anyone know the name of the "independent" body that polices QVC's reviews?

I've always had my doubts about this "independent" body. I don't bother posting reviews any more. The least little whiff of anything and poof! gone!

Doubtless now some presenter or other will slip into one or other shows about how honest their review system is. I've noticed this happens after something they may not be too keen on is said here in this forum. There'll be just a slight allusion to it, just enough to allay the fears of anyone who in their folly may have read something written here.

theres a website for apple you leave a message and they phone you back in a very short time. its free. like i said you can book tutorials in your nearest apple shop also free. yet to do this. you can even go on my beloved you tube and get ooodles of tips also free

Yep I must admit I had a problem with my iPhone a few years ago, booked a free appointment within 2 days at one of their stores and a guy looked at it, couldn't fix it there and then, so simply gave me a brand new one.

Now that is customer service.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to get an appointment at Apple for the last two years. Worst customer service I've ever "received."

I've been unsuccessfully trying to get an appointment at Apple for the last two years. Worst customer service I've ever "received."

Last year I phoned a local branch and booked myself in - got a slot for two days later.

Went in with my ipad and the chap tested and then completely reset my system (without losing any data) - he then asked if there were any bits I needed to have explained and talked me through a Word issue as well.

The ipad was out of Apple warranty but there was no charge for the service - that's why I love Apple.

I rang my local Apple store today for advice on an iPad problem.

Having gone through various button presses and voice entries, I got to talk to someone who didn't sound local.

I asked where he was, and it was Florida.

So I got free advice at a local call rate WITHOUT getting the £199 so-called added value.

Yes I had to speak to Apple when I got my iPad mini 2. Even though the call went to the states the call was free. Took them ages to sort out the problem with resetting my password though but they cracked it and were very pleasant

Stratobuddy - as a matter of interest, did you ever get a reply from Lee Holbein?

As to have the £199 'worthless' added value, when I bought my first IPad, I invested in an IPad Manual from my local newsagent for around £8. IMHO, it's all you will ever need. It guides you through all the basics in a simple illustrated step-by-step way, and also explains how to do the more complicated things.

Latest posts

Back