Annoying phrases

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
Many of the presenters have a stock-phrase that they use in practically every show they do.

I have started to notice Charlie's regular use of the phrase "full money refund". Am I missing something? What does this mean? Is it a regional thing?

For yew.
Gifting.
On-trend.
High street.
Limited stock.
Well done if you got yours.
Tap the app.
Preemyem product.
Hero product.
I need you on those phones.
I've only got xxx of these.
Easiyo saves you money.
Going right the way through.

Ann D ' I tell you what'
Jill F ' I only have---' as if she owns Q
Catherine H-- forever gushing about the 30 day MBG. In the time you pay for something, decide to return and getting the money back in your bank a/c can be some time.Won't Q be making interest on our cash in the meantime?
Julia is still my favorite, I know she preens sometimes but is far the most professional, tells it how it is,no manic screeching.But then again I like AY!!

Oh & 'GIFTING' that will now be used all the time as we move ( started in July) into the run up to Christmas

'Dress it up, dress it down'. - They all say it. ****** annoying.

'Desk to Dinner'. - Does anyone really go straight from the office for a night out? I'd need to pop home for a shower at least.

"Numba"

Anything with a "wardrobe" that isn't hung in an actual literal wardrobe i.e. "jewellery wardrobe", "fragrance wardrobe" etc.

"actual" and "literal" as in "literally flying out of the warehouse" or worse "literally flying out the warehouse"

"fabrication" it means telling lies FFS! Mind you, that's actually what they're doing so maybe...? No on second thoughts that's crediting the likes of Franken and Chuntley with being articulate and having scruples. :mysmilie_15:

Many of the presenters have a stock-phrase that they use in practically every show they do.

I have started to notice Charlie's regular use of the phrase "full money refund". Am I missing something? What does this mean? Is it a regional thing?

The thing which infuriates me is AY's made-up word 'tanorexia'. Firstly it is a gross insult to the girls I have worked with in my counselling role, some of whom have later died of anorexia. Secondly it is rubbish as a made up word..."an" being "an absence of" and "orexia" from the root word for "appetite".

Alison Young attended the "Rev. Spooner & Hilda Baker School of Public Speaking" and sticks to her anomalous pronunciation regardless of others around her repeating the word or phrase correctly. However her insistence on saying "package and postage" is probably more accurate than the other way round, since packaging does precede the act of posting

Presenters who use the phrase "laid on the bed" is mildly irritating as I have yet to see them produce an egg on air and I'd v much like to upload a clip on youtube and inform the wider scientific community.

"Numba"

Anything with a "wardrobe" that isn't hung in an actual literal wardrobe i.e. "jewellery wardrobe", "fragrance wardrobe" etc.

"actual" and "literal" as in "literally flying out of the warehouse" or worse "literally flying out the warehouse"

"fabrication" it means telling lies FFS! Mind you, that's actually what they're doing so maybe...? No on second thoughts that's crediting the likes of Franken and Chuntley with being articulate and having scruples.
Presenters who use the phrase "laid on the bed" is mildly irritating as I have yet to see them produce an egg on air and I'd v much like to upload a clip on youtube and inform the wider scientific community.

Oh Jude, these are exactly what annoys the life out of me together with "really" unique and those who pronounce everything ending in "ing" as "ink" JF is particularly bad at this. Julia changes the er to a all the time.

Slghtly different as I know it is more down to accent but I hate it when people insert "eoils" as in - the geoils (girls) were painting their nails! Another example is Denise Van Outen in that yogurt ad but I cant remember the exact words now only that I scream every time it comes on.

Chloe: incredible value, indeed, of course -she uses those words in just about every sentence
Jilly H:- instead of referring to larger sizes as 2XL she says 2 X large
Alison Young :- asking everyone how they pronounce raspberry and almond
Not sure if she still does it but Pipa always used to say yeh yeh yeh as guests were speaking

I feel quite stressed after reading this thread as the phrases all annoy me, lol. Sifting and gifting I hate. DF and her BUY TWO, BUY THREE routine. I shout that at the screen the moment I see her. And with Chloe,incredible!!!!, it is also the way she speaks in such hallowed tones about so-called prestigious brands! My God she goes on as if we are so lucky to be able to buy it. No dear, if I have the money I rather think they will sell it to me. I don't want to think of any more or I might get a headache!!

Oh and while I'm on..... Jeans and a t-shirt, or skinny jeans, as an example of what practically everything will go with, however festooned with sequins!

Last edited:
Captain's table - like we all do that on a regular basis!
Treat yourself - As long as you can afford the overpriced tat.
Build up your collection - just to keep selling.
Three to five days - lies! What happened to the working part?

Chloe's insistence on giving us the CS phone number ever 2 minutes.

Poor grammar - I'm not a grammar nazi but if you're on the telly you should get it right. Particularly if you're going to force your voice to talk like you have a plum in your mouth.

Non-existent words such as "volumous" - there are many of these.

And Richard Jackson's claim that "anyone can do gardening". On no they can't! And for many different reasons.

Perhaps we could all compile a book to sell on Amazon? :D

[edit] coming back to this, why do we watch when it seems to annoy us all so much? :mysmilie_13:

Captain's table - like we all do that on a regular basis!
Treat yourself - As long as you can afford the overpriced tat.
Build up your collection - just to keep selling.
Three to five days - lies! What happened to the working part?

Chloe's insistence on giving us the CS phone number ever 2 minutes.

Poor grammar - I'm not a grammar nazi but if you're on the telly you should get it right.

Non-existent words such as "volumous" - there are many of these.

Perhaps we could all compile a book to sell on Amazon? :D

And they we could do a Del Boy Flint and tell everyone it is still available on Amazon!

(about make up, lets use eyeshadow as an example) "This shade will suit everyone"

NO! NO NO NO! IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT! :mysmilie_51:
Drives me absolutely mad, NO one shade of eyeshadow/blusher/anything will suit everybody. AAAArrrghhhhhHHGggHHH!!

And calm....

Latest posts

Back