Andrea Bocelli

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
(mum writes)

:heart:

I see Andrea Bocelli is going to be on QVC on Monday! Hurrah, at last *something* to look forward to on QVC :D And I'm glad they've chosen Simon to conduct the interview. I like Simon and think he has a bit of class and I can't think of any of the others who would be suitable for it. Can't wait! Nice one QVC for bringing some class to shopping TV. We, that's me and my son, were lucky enough to actually meet Andrea at the Classical Brit awards a few years ago. It was easily one of the most memorable nights in one's life! Never to be forgotten. I have to laugh when I think of it. We had tickets right by the stage and were waiting for him to appear. I was aware of getting an elbow in the ribs and when I looked it was being pointed out that he was standing right next to us. Good job I didn't swoon on top of him, although I wouldn't have complained ;) We got to speak to him after the concert and he was awesome. Couldn't imagine a nicer lay, I mean, man :tongue:

I love Andrea Bocelli's voice. He sings like a chocolate covered angel.

Years back I picked up my teenage son and his friends and had AB playing. My son's friends were all being quite cheeky about classical rubbish. My son turned round and said ... "he is blind. You do know that?". Made me laugh as AB was on his iPod along with Rammstein, Slipknot and Puddle of Mudd.

Years back I picked up my teenage son and his friends and had AB playing. My son's friends were all being quite cheeky about classical rubbish. My son turned round and said ... "he is blind. You do know that?".

I've never understood why being blind has any relevance, but it's why, in my opinion, he's so successful. There are a lot of equally talented and much more talented classical singers who never get a look in, but AB has what's to all intents and purposes from a marketing point of view a "unique gimmick". Same as Evelyn Glennie, although her disability is more relevant to her talent, but there are many more talented percussionists than her, but she's deaf, so she gets exposure and people think she's the best percussionist since sliced bread because they don't get the chance to hear the others. Don't begrudge AB or EG any of their success at all, I'm sure they've worked hard for it and they should make the most of it, take the money and run. Just wish the physical disabilities weren't the focus and that those who are as good and better had the same chance.

I don't agree that he is successful because he is blind, I heard him a lot before I saw him and then became aware he was blind, whilst he does not have the strong sort of voice say Pavarotti had, he still has a lovely voice, with a certain humility to it, if you know what i mean, i think Q have done well to get hold of him and whilst we could be cynical and say, he wants to flog his new album I am sure plenty of people will buy it whether Q have him on or not

My comment about him being blind was simply something that amused me. I didn't know he was blind to start with but if my grunge rocker son gave him half a listen I was happy.

I think his success is deserved and he is extremely talented. Born out by the fact that he is the most successful classical singer bar none in terms of records sold. He has received numerous awards and accolades. Pavarotti thought there was "none finer". Isn't he the only classical singer ever to be nominated for a Grammy?

There will always be talented individuals who don't make it but that shouldn't detract from those that do. Being blind might get him a few CD sales but having a divine and unique voice makes him a success.

What I meant was not that he's successful because he's blind but that I think that being blind is the reason the door was opened in the first place. He's then used his talent to make the most of the opportunity. As a huge opera lover I think he has a good voice, made for the sort of repertoire and performances he usually does. He's not a great opera singer though, but that's not what he purports to be. He's an extremely successful popular/classical entertainer and good luck to him. Don't know where he stands in terms of record sales, but I do know that Pavarotti won three or four Grammys, and Placido Domingo has nine Grammys on his mantlepiece (and about 145 full operatic roles in his repertoire).

My comment/question about the Grammy was half arsed. He was one of only two classical singers ever to be nominated as Best Artist.

"Time to say goodbye" has to be one of the most beautiful songs I've heard. Love AB.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up folks, I shall be watching tonight. I saw him very recently on Sky Arts 2 doing one of his US outdoor shows. Celine Dion came to sing a duet with him, it was lovely. I think Andrea's voice is distinctive because it has so much vibrato, no disrespect to all the other wonderful classical singers out there. :happy:

One of my favourites is him singing with Bryn Terfel the Pearl Fishers Duet.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=v-rDRa-5h4s&desktop_uri=/watch?v=v-rDRa-5h4s

Thanks for the heads up folks, I shall be watching tonight. I saw him very recently on Sky Arts 2 doing one of his US outdoor shows. Celine Dion came to sing a duet with him, it was lovely. I think Andrea's voice is distinctive because it has so much vibrato, no disrespect to all the other wonderful classical singers out there. :happy:

Yes saw that too in Central Park they sounded lovely!

That was wonderful, my knowledge of classical music is fairly limited but I love that piece.

Just watched him on Anything goes and his performances were flawless however i did feel slightly uncomfortable watching his interview with simon , it seemed so rushed and Andrea seemed uncomfortable being questioned by Simon, would have helped if they could have sat down and it was more relaxed , wot did everyone else think?

This is the show I was at. Shame the video isn't higher resolution because you can see me in the audience :D This performance actually was the highlight of the night and everyone was on their feet when they finished. The performance was closely guarded secret so no one knew what was coming until it happened. This piece has been a favourite of mine since childhood so I was blown away. I love Bryn too - awesome voice and such a friendly person. The magic between them on stage could be felt in the whole of the Albert Hall.

Last edited:
Not fond of AB. The voice is quite coarse and limited for a trained singer and the material he chooses is often schlock. Not a patch on many other serious tenors like Jonas Kaufmann, Joseph Calleja or (best of the crossover bunch) Vittorio Grigolo. I'm sure the disability back-story is key to his commercial success: we live in a gloopy sentimental age - as we see from every reality show going. It isn't quite "I'm singing this for my dead granny" but there is a touch of it.

I first saw him donkey's years ago on Pebble Mill at One. I pricked my ears up and thought to myself, this chap will go far. He could hardly speak a word of English at the time. I love his voice and have about five of his albums ( not sure without going to look).

Latest posts

Back