Amica just ****** STOP IT!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
Referring to your illness in relation to the "benefits" of skin care brands you sell on TV (in this case Prai) is cheap, desperate and demeans you.

Pack. It. In.

Please.

I was really p*ssed off with SJ and Lee banging in about the night treatment doing wonders for your skin whilst undergoing chemotherapy. It's such a cheap selling tactic. My closest friend has breast cancer, has had chemo and is 2/3 the way through radiotherapy. A pot of BE night treatment is not going to make her look better (she looks like she's aged 10 years - the treatment has robbed her of her good looks) and more to the point she is ****** skint because she can't work and a living on benefits doesn't include a £40 pot of powder. QVC and the guest presenters are clearly oblivious to the financial difficulties faced by cancer patients.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I really like Amica. But using her personal issues to sell is cheap in the extreme. If she has used Prai while she was ill (and I'm doubtful) then great. But even if she did, to use that to sell moisturiser on a commercial tv channel?.. I mean....REALLY?

At worst misleading. At best low class.

I would imagine whilst undergoing treatment, the skin becomes pretty sensitive and would best suit the most gentle of skincare regimes with as few ingredients as possible. I saw the first 10 mins of the BE show and thought it is a really useful thing for makeup artists to volunteer to teach women who have lost brows and eyelashes some techniques to boost their self confidence. I just hope the tutorial isnt followed by a hard sell of the products used on , as mentioned earlier, women who are probably finding their income reduced. BTW I wonder if Amica is encouraged to say such things by the producers?

I have friends who work on various make up counters in department stores, big brands, high end. Quite a few volunteer to go to the cancer wards bring free make up supplied by the companies(French brands), they do make overs demo how to do techniques. Bring free make up to give to the ladies. There is no selling and in fact very few know many of the make up brands do this. They say how uplifting and rewarding it is.

Oh and they wouldn't dream of trying to sell anything from their brands whilst there.

I have friends who work on various make up counters in department stores, big brands, high end. Quite a few volunteer to go to the cancer wards bring free make up supplied by the companies(French brands), they do make overs demo how to do techniques. Bring free make up to give to the ladies. There is no selling and in fact very few know many of the make up brands do this. They say how uplifting and rewarding it is.

Oh and they wouldn't dream of trying to sell anything from their brands whilst there.

Thats really good to hear Donna. Its a briliant idea.

The powers that be probably thinks it a new way to flog a few more items and, therefore, do not discourage this doubtful (at the least) ploy. Very distasteful!

Well i will plug my own skin treatment I used through Chemo and it was Coconut oil.I used it all over Face body and scalp.
Fire it into the bath as well. It kept my skin soft and my face well moisturized. All nice and natural and no rubbish in it.

Nothing can prepare you for the changes in your skin. The puffy face all swollen from steroids. I certainly wasnt going to spend £sss on creams to be honest do not live up to there claims..Anyway there were days when you could hardly get out of bed never mind do a beauty routine.

Of course if you get the freebies you will plug them.

Last edited:
I noticed that Amica always did the gatineau shows but she was on prai and jo (I think was her name) did gatineau

Cheap and distasteful selling techniques and QVC execs/management should be ashamed of themselves.

I also noticed the Prai woman and Jill F rabbiting on last night about how good the neck and decolletage cream is for the thin skin on your chest and cleavage when it feels a bit "lumpy". Not a very good choice of words with Amica sitting there. :down:

They are all as bad, seems they will stop at nothing to try and 'tap' into another 'Market Segment' ? is that how the producers view it. They have not decency at times.

Yes, I noticed her plugging Prai at times BUT to me it tells me that ALL the OTHER beauty brands that QVC sell then are NO GOOD........ make of that what you want

I agree that it's a distasteful selling tactic but I don't really think Amica deserves so much flak. She has always been very eager to please and say the right thing by extolling the benefits of every beauty range on qvc. Unfortunately she has a new string to her bow now which strikes a discordant note when used in this way. Her illness must dominate her every thought though and she should be cut some slack. I blame the producers not Amica.

On a lighter note, I'd like the presenters to engage her in chit chat when she's modelling some polyester fright and see how she manages to convince us that this is just the thing she reaches for every morning and wears all day, just adding some bling to take it through to evening.

I'm glad Amica's back at work and I wish her well.

Please let's not be mean about Amica. I didn't see this show but she's probably told what to say and it's her job so she has to do it. She can't say it's a pile of pants can she, even if she really thinks that. I wish her well in all of her treatment and it's good that she feels well enough to work. I know it looks like a cheap trick to use cancer patients as a selling point but I am sure that wasn't Amica's idea.

CC

I'm sure everyone on here wishes her well with her treatment but the fact that she's ill doesn't make her immune from criticism.

Alison Keenan is another culprit. She was on with Ken Paves the other night and was doing exactly the same thing.

i didn't see it so can't comment on how it came across. can comment though that amica seems a lovely person and maybe she just mentioned that it helped her and nothing more entered her head? especially as it's not even her job to 'hard sell'.

I'm sorry but she came up with it completely out of the blue, there was no natural "lead-in" to her comments, they were demo-ing some cream and she started saying how when she was going through treatment this really helped blah blah. Even hard nosed Cathy Prai went a bit quiet. It was unnecessary and uncomfortable. Amica has been doing that job long enough to be able to pout crap about beauty products ad infinitum without resorting to this. Even if it were true and the stuff did help her it's hardly right to be suggesting that it might help others in the same way. What kind of selling is that for gods sake?

I do really like Amica but she needs to stop this.

I'm just wondering whether Amica on the Prai show (which I didn't see), and Ali K on the Ken Paves show (which I did), might not have genuinely believed what she said? Couldn't it just be that she did find it was something that has helped her? That she was, indeed, grateful for the product (s) concerned and that she wanted to share that with potential customers? Sometimes, I think things are just as they at first appear, with no ulterior motive. But then I often find I'm nowhere near cynical enough around here …

I didn't see last night but i've seen her doing Prai before.She commented then that it was the only thing that her skin could tolerate when she was having Chemotherapy.Apparently Cathy prai had sent her lots of products.
I suppose if she feels it worked for her then that's great but it should be made clear during the presentation that everyone's different and it worked for her but that can't be guaranteed for anyone else in that situation.

I like Amica but do feel uncomfortable with her situation being used to. promote and sell Prai.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back