Ali Young - new emphasis on qualified

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
Have noticed since the beginning of this month AY is now introducing herself as a qualified beauty expert, referring to her qualifications, training and experience as a therapist more, and getting out the therapist's uniform more. It also seems like the new Beauty Night In format they've launched on Thursday evening is more like the old (much missed by me) In the Salon with Alison shows they used to do.

Even the caption when her name goes up on screen now says Qualified beauty expert underneath.

Clearly the message that her qualifications and therefore credibility were in some doubt in some quarters has filtered through.

Why doesn't she display her certificates? If she qualified thirty years ago (or should that be yurs) like she says, isn't it time to train again, everything's moved on in thirty years. I noticed that she said she was a qualified nail technician last a few months ago, that's the first time I've ever heard her say that.

I would be interested in her shows but just can't get past the voice. Awful. So always switch her off! She needs a voice coach.:mysmilie_47:

Oh I've got to totally agree there, it's like nails down a blackboard. I know this sounds mean but for a woman who's an "expert" in the beauty industry, that's all about skin perfection and looking good, you'd think she would get her teeth sorted, as well as a voice coach because she's on TV.

I expect she could well afford to. Also stand up straight and stop looking all hunched.

I agree it looks ridiculous doesn't it, over twenty yurs and she still can't look at the right camera, and no one tells her, they just stand there letting her make a show of herself.

they have the reps doing the main selling spiel even then rolling some gel or oil on an arm hardly needs a diploma. i cant see the need for alison doing a wax these days partly because qvc dont sell them. shes more of a presenter than a therapist imao

I wouldn't trust a word she says. She works as a saleswoman, not as a beauty therapist. Her knowledge is hardly revolutionary, anyone with any interest in beauty knows what she does. Hell, you could even Google it.

Also, 'Qualified Beauty Expert' means nothing. Anyone can say they're a qualified expert in something, 'qualified' and 'expert' have many meanings. If her qualifications were accredited and current they'd use those. But of course as it is there is no mention of any accredited, professionally recognised courses.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust a word she says. She works as a saleswoman, not as a beauty therapist. Her knowledge is hardly revolutionary, anyone with any interest in beauty knows what she does. Hell, you could even Google it.

Also, 'Qualified Beauty Expert' means nothing. Anyone can say they're a qualified expert in something, 'qualified' and 'expert' have many meanings. If her qualifications were accredited and current they'd use those. But of course as it is there is no mention of any accredited, professionally recognised courses.

She's also qualified in fashion. So much does her "finger on the pulse" style catch the zeitgeist, rumour has it that Vogue and Tatler pay her large sums for info on upcoming fashion trends. According to AY this season's hot look is a structured, shoulder-padded lilac shapeless maternity dress, cinched in at the waist by a burnt orange belt with an oversized black buckle, a Lola Rose "gong" necklace in navy blue, a Butler & Wilson "dancing couple" or tarantula spider brooch on the shoulder and big hair, accentuated by half a can of Ellenet hairspray, some toe-post shoes and a citrine ring. Make up is all about purple eye shadow and a minimalist touch of foundation, heavy "Sara Griffiths" crow eyebrows and a drawn on beauty spot.

I like Ali a lot. She's the same age as me - hitting 50 this year. She's a North-Easterner like me. I find her funny and self-deprecating. I think she's often a loose cannon, but that's part of what I enjoy about her.

She doesn't come from an entertainment/telly background like the majority of other presenters, so commits all sorts of faux pas when she's on air - getting the giggles, slumping over the product display benches on shows where she's standing up (can only be the shoe discomfort factor). She's up front about her illnesses, and sometimes even about products (on this week's AYBNI someone asked about the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue for a cool pale skintone, and she did advise that on DHS there is a paler shade called Opal, but that QVC only stocks the best selling shades in the range).

She does a great impression of the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz too.

In person she is really patient and professional and natural with all the people who ask her endless beauty questions.

I do believe her on air hair, makeup and clothing need overhauling if she wants to look better... and I would dearly love to raid her makeup bags/boxes/cupboards and remove any shimmerbricks or other sheen-producing products as they accentuate her in the wrong places. I dare say the look is fine in real life, but the telly cameras just make it look as if she's run through a fake pearl factory when they are spraying the beads to make them pearls.

I just thought this sudden change of emphasis on her being qualified was interesting. And yes, it would certainly make sense to display at least her most presteeeegious qualifications in the beauty therapy area.

For me, like Lennie, if Ali wasn't there, I'd miss her.

So word's got through about qualifications, has it? Someone reads this forum, then.

I like Ali a lot. She's the same age as me - hitting 50 this year. She's a North-Easterner like me. I find her funny and self-deprecating. I think she's often a loose cannon, but that's part of what I enjoy about her.

She doesn't come from an entertainment/telly background like the majority of other presenters, so commits all sorts of faux pas when she's on air - getting the giggles, slumping over the product display benches on shows where she's standing up (can only be the shoe discomfort factor). She's up front about her illnesses, and sometimes even about products (on this week's AYBNI someone asked about the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue for a cool pale skintone, and she did advise that on DHS there is a paler shade called Opal, but that QVC only stocks the best selling shades in the range).

She does a great impression of the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz too.

In person she is really patient and professional and natural with all the people who ask her endless beauty questions.

I do believe her on air hair, makeup and clothing need overhauling if she wants to look better... and I would dearly love to raid her makeup bags/boxes/cupboards and remove any shimmerbricks or other sheen-producing products as they accentuate her in the wrong places. I dare say the look is fine in real life, but the telly cameras just make it look as if she's run through a fake pearl factory when they are spraying the beads to make them pearls.

I just thought this sudden change of emphasis on her being qualified was interesting. And yes, it would certainly make sense to display at least her most presteeeegious qualifications in the beauty therapy area.

For me, like Lennie, if Ali wasn't there, I'd miss her.

Whatever bakes your biscuit, but for many she just a screechy bossy boots who has more a flair for self-promotion than deprecation. Needs a good schlap with a giant tuna fish in her face area.

Many years ago I sold Oriflame party plan and had to attend several training sessions before they let me loose on the paying Public. I was taught how to cleanse, tone and moisturise my victim errr volunteer and then I had to match a foundation, apply it and also make up her eyes and lips. Does that make me a makeup artist ? Does it hell ...

Many years ago I sold Oriflame party plan and had to attend several training sessions before they let me loose on the paying Public. I was taught how to cleanse, tone and moisturise my victim errr volunteer and then I had to match a foundation, apply it and also make up her eyes and lips. Does that make me a makeup artist ? Does it hell ...

Ah, but I bet you are better at applying makeup than AY. After watching her do it sometime ago, I thought perhaps she had been trying to paint a wall. Be the model rushed off to take it all off after the show.

Vienna, you have just brought back memories for me re Oriflame :nod:

I went to many such parties back in the day, it was very popular in these here parts.
The spiel always began with......"There were 2 Swedish scientists"
I used to like some of their products, and always bought a couple of things.

Ah, but I bet you are better at applying makeup than AY. After watching her do it sometime ago, I thought perhaps she had been trying to paint a wall. Be the model rushed off to take it all off after the show.

I quite like her, she isn't one that makes me reach for the off button but I do find her make up a bit odd.
Sometimes it looks ok then others it looks like a child has mistaken her face for a Girls World!

Latest posts

Back