Ali Young - nails

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Boris Bear

Registered Shopper
Did anyone hear Ali Young in the pro strong hour? She was going on about job appraisals and interviews being influenced by the state of your nails. I appreciate that your general appearance does influence people's opinion but she was almost saying you wouldn't get a job or would get sacked if your nails weren't great.

I must remember to watch The Apprentice next week and listen out for the bit where Sir Alan says, "your nails are carp. You're fired!"

alison young is ... well i'm tempted to say "silly cow" but clearly she isnt. however she WILL say anything to sell some units.

i dont know how she sleeps, selling fake dreams to people in the form of tubes of cream.

she is to be ignored.

i dont know how she sleeps, selling fake dreams to people in the form of tubes of cream.

she is to be ignored.

I agree, she'll say absolutely anything to flog any old carp.....mind you I s'pose that is part of her job! Makes a mockery of the 'resident beauty expert' part of it though, as she comes out with the same old spiel for every bloomin' product!

Oh come on, she's literally nailed it because she's got us talking about it............:54:

Wonder when she last went for a job interview? Well, she has been the Resident Beauty Expert for what seems like a million years.......literally - because she goes on and on and on!!! :22:

can you imagine working for/with AY?

the voice alone would be enough to make me suicidal.

It may be true that if two job candidates have equal qualifications etc, that the one who looks the most groomed will be successful, so I don't think she was being that silly. And if you job involves meeting the public, it might be a very important consideration for an employer. Just my opinion. We live in a shallow world, but that is the world in which we live!

Well in my line of work we are not supposed to wear nail polish, or false nails so it would not work for me.

It may be true that if two job candidates have equal qualifications etc, that the one who looks the most groomed will be successful, so I don't think she was being that silly. And if you job involves meeting the public, it might be a very important consideration for an employer. Just my opinion. We live in a shallow world, but that is the world in which we live!
I hear what you are saying but she didn't make the point that grroming was important and this is part of it she presented herself as being knowledgable about staff appraisal and that nails were a big part of it. I think you really needed to see it. I tried to look again on +1 but my sky was playing up.

Of course if you go for an interview and look like you haven't made an effort then it's not going to help and people who deal with the public need to look presentable but she went way beyond that.

I hear what you are saying but she didn't make the point that grroming was important and this is part of it she presented herself as being knowledgable about staff appraisal and that nails were a big part of it. I think you really needed to see it. I tried to look again on +1 but my sky was playing up.

Of course if you go for an interview and look like you haven't made an effort then it's not going to help and people who deal with the public need to look presentable but she went way beyond that.

Sadly I can't rewatch it as QVC videos etc are not available for Macs yet!

Read this threat and have to share with you that I attended a job interview (although going back 10 years ago) and was not given the job. The justification was that they felt my nail polish was too "out there" and they felt I would not fit in well with the rest of the staff ( I applied for a teaching post! It was a pink, dark pink bright colour to coordinate with my blouse)
Worked out well as I got a job in a much better school:1: and LOVE teaching there

I am one of those people who cannot abide dirty finger nails, weither it be on male or female, also chipped nail polish yuck!
Im not saying i agree with Ali young, but i do think a person should present themselves as best as possible

I think its all about how you present yourself at an interview and as long as you look smart and your nails don't look like you've been potato picking that morning then you'll be ok. I have interviewed people in the past and I always look for nice clean nails and clean shoes. Nothing any worst than dirty shoes IMO!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back