A Scary Experience!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Topaz

Registered Shopper
Is anyone else as stupid as me and forget what they've already bought? I spent some time this weekend doing an 'inventory' of all my beauty and make up products which were piled into two beauty cases. I found I've got enough concealers to completely wipe myself out! Eyeshadows sets I've bought in one make, then another almost identical in colour from another range. Not to mention enough yellow neutralizing powder to make half the country look jaundiced. A lot of it has come as extras in TSV's, which I originally bought for the main product, and I did get a couple of suprises when I found nice things I forgot I had. However, it really made me stop and think about how much unnecessary spending I've done over the last couple of years.

Ummmm yes :D

I recently went to order a couple of replacement items from qvc and then a search revealed I already had reserves.

I cleared out my bathroom cupboard and filled five black bin liners with old half-used bottles of various potions. Most of them were from QVC.

I know, some unopened ...can`t bear to think what I`ve spent since getting my freeview box, last Christmas I received a Christmas card...I mustn`t have spent enough this year as I didn`t get one

I did the same and tidied out my stash a couple of months ago - got rid of about 2 black bags full. The worst things for me are shampoo and mascara - they bring out the next new all singing and dancing one - you use once or twice decide it is carp then go back to your usual one!

Hi Topaz. I've got a stock of make-up in a carry all. My thing is not so much forgetting what I've got, as deciding I want to try another make - so even though I've got a little stockpile of one brand, I switch to another and buy the same type of stuff! Then it all sits there barely getting used. I do the same thing with jewellery: getting a thing about epiphany silver, say, then moving on to gold - that type of thing. in both cases, I find I just return to one or two 'old faithfuls' every time, whilst the other stuff just sits until i have another look but not wearing session! Sad, but true!

I had a 'stock take' last week. Bit of a shock. I could drown myself in shower gel. I gave lots of things away for Christmas which sounds good but they were far more expensive than gifts I would normally buy.

I really cannot afford to buy stuff I will not use. My biggest weakness are beauty TSVs but there are so many pi**ly widdly sizes in a lot of them that when common sense gets a glimmer in I realise they are often not such good value after all.

I am trying to be VERY strict and the things I would really try not to go without are Ojon haircare and Liz Earle. The rest I just do not need.

I think there is a curve for the qvc addict - or this one.

Mine was that I couldn't resist any of the beauty tsv's but luckily as time has passed and I have tried all the brands so there are some now that I am able to stop myself from buying because I know most of the contents.

With the brands I love I have even recently been making a more sensible judgement. For example I was ever so tempted by the last Decleor but I already have a prolagene stockpile, body lotion I have another favourite and does my hand cream really have to be a Decleor.

Mind you I was still tempted on and off all day so it can be a struggle but I am getting better :D

A Scary Experience

Thanks for all your responses which make me feel much better knowing I'm not the only one! I'm either going to have to start wearing more makeup for whatever, whenever, wherever or just get a life and go out more, wearing it rather than staying in buying it!!

If anyone has unused toiletries you would otherwise throw away, please can I suggest that you drop them off at your local long-stay hospital ward?

My mum in law developed Alzheimers and was in hospital for months, and many of the elderly ladies there had no family or friends to bring them nice smellies, so they were stuck using horrible hospital soap.

The staff appealed for visitors to bring in a few extra bits and pieces. [Yes, I had my QVC stockpile!!!]

Even people with advanced Alzheimers don't lose their sense of smell, so deliciously scented goodies are highly appreciated, and really help improve the patients' quality of life.

Ta ever so!

If anyone has unused toiletries you would otherwise throw away, please can I suggest that you drop them off at your local long-stay hospital ward?

My mum in law developed Alzheimers and was in hospital for months, and many of the elderly ladies there had no family or friends to bring them nice smellies, so they were stuck using horrible hospital soap.

The staff appealed for visitors to bring in a few extra bits and pieces. [Yes, I had my QVC stockpile!!!]

Even people with advanced Alzheimers don't lose their sense of smell, so deliciously scented goodies are highly appreciated, and really help improve the patients' quality of life.

Ta ever so!

Excellent idea. Dad had Alzheimers and we took lots of smellies into his last home. Some of the ladies also loved to have their nails painted.

Ta ever so!

That is a very pecious I idea - I will definately keep that in mind. I'm sure those ladies (and gentlemen) will appreciate that - just because your mind isn't working 100% doesn't mean that wonderful feeling of trying something smelly and luxurious has gone.

Saying that, I can't help think some crafty nurse might nick my donated fancy Philosophy...but at least I would give with the best intention.

As for me I had a clear out over Christmas. I can't say I had loads but I chucked bootles which only had a quarter of the product left. I felt guilty about this, but I'd rather have a less cluttered bathroom than lots of half used bottles.

As for makeup, I chucked out a pile of stuff from the LG TSV - the baked collection. I didn't feel as guilty about chucking these but I did think I could have been a tad more decisive when I recieved them - none of the colous suited me.

Ta ever so!

Hi everyone. I have lurked for a very long time but this post made me want to respond so I registered. My mum died of Alzheimer's last October and I just wanted to say that it has long been identified that people with Alzheimer's disease have difficulty recognizing smells and that 'smell' seems to be affected before their other senses. My mum was given a smelling test when she was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Mum also tried to drink liquids that were blue, green or any different colour.

Suzy

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum, Popsickle. And also sorry if this thread has bought back any painful memories.
M x

Latest posts

Back