£1500 diamonds in 9ct gold

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bea Frugal

Registered Shopper
Just looking at the Noor diamonds. I simply do not understand how qvc can boast about setting diamonique in 18ct gold yet expect people to fork out a small fortune for small diamonds set in 9ct gold. They never seem to give any information about the quality of their diamonds which really annoys me, just doing the usual swooning routine, but surely anyone tempted to buy such expensive jewellery would at least want 18ct gold. Seems like inflated prices for inferior quality.

I would definitely expect 18ct gold for those prices, as you say, they boast about a simulant being set in 18ct, so why are they putting these 'swoony' diamonds in 9ct? :mysmilie_697:

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw that ring earlier on - for £1500 you would expect at least 14ct gold and more than likely 18ct gold...fair dos there was a fair old amount of gold in the ring, but even so 9ct was pushing it a bit for the price they were charging. I don't think it sold out either, did it? Some of the designs were very pretty - but very 'samey'.

Isn't the Diamonique usually in 14ct gold, largely because that's the minimum standard in the US, and all the gold Diamonique pieces we get to see are actually from QVC US?

But for the kind of price the Noor stuff goes for, I'd expect 18ct.

Isn't the Diamonique usually in 14ct gold, largely because that's the minimum standard in the US, and all the gold Diamonique pieces we get to see are actually from QVC US?

But for the kind of price the Noor stuff goes for, I'd expect 18ct.

That's a very good point. I don't think 9ct gold is available anywhere except in the UK. Yes 14ct is the standard in the US but in Europe it is 18ct, which begs the question where is all the Italian jewellery qvc offer actually made? Is it just Italian design make in the UK or do they have secret European dens beavering away in the dead of night? You can bet your bottom dollar you won't see 9ct gold at the Verona jewellery fair qvc get so excited about.

Quite frankly, imho anyone who paid these ridiculous prices for small diamond cwts set into 9K gold has lost the plot. :mysmilie_81:

That's a very good point. I don't think 9ct gold is available anywhere except in the UK. Yes 14ct is the standard in the US but in Europe it is 18ct, which begs the question where is all the Italian jewellery qvc offer actually made? Is it just Italian design make in the UK or do they have secret European dens beavering away in the dead of night? You can bet your bottom dollar you won't see 9ct gold at the Verona jewellery fair qvc get so excited about.
I used to live in Germany where you can buy 333 gold too, which is 8 ct gold

I am Italian, and was talking to my trusted jewellery at home last year, and he seemed totally unaware that such a thing as 9ct gold existed, 14ct gold he seemed aware of but quite unimpressed about, but 9ct gold in his opinion was no gold at all. It is illegal, in Italy, to sell as gold anything that is below 18ct; however, I imagine there is nothing stopping Italian goldsmiths using 9ct gold for stuff destined to be exported. So, I suspect these guys are making stuff for QVC that they would never be allowed to sell in Italy, so it's not really Italian jewellery you're buying from qvc, more Italian style jewellery (and having said that, as an Italian I can't really say that I recognise the style as especially Italian in any way either...)

In Turkey they are very good gold dealers and they are very aware of 9ct gold, America has 10ct and as someone has stated there is also 8ct. Here they will buy 9ct for scrap but don't sell anything below 14ct and generally it is 18ct and 22ct jewellery.

Turkish jewellery is absolutely beautiful in design but interestingly enough a friend showed them a diamond ring she had bought on one of the gem tv shows for about £300 (worth £600 etc etc) and they wouldn't touch it. They said they "didn't buy this type of stone".

They are made in Italy, but manufacturers have to apply for a licence before they do that, as it is illegal to manufacture jewels below 18ct gold (I've been told by jewellers in Florence, where I visit often and buy gold jewellery).

Germany also has low grade gold (8 and 9ct). Turkish gold jewellery are of intricate design but of poor quality as they contain a lot of copper (I have a few pieces in my box, but rarely wear them as they look reddish and tarnish easily).

Last edited:
CZ and 9ct gold I can understand. But £1500 diamonds in 9ct gold is ridiculous, imo they should be set in 14ct gold at a very minimum, and at that price I would be expecting 18ct gold.:giggle:

Yes, I agree with the posts on this. Surely, the point of buying 9ct gold is to keep the cost down! When the price goes up too high on 9ct gold jewellery, then buying it is madness!

What I have often wondered when I see the very expensive jewellery on QVC and I'm talking over £1,000 is do they send these items out using their usual 2nd class post?!

Latest posts

Back