You know you are old when....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My parents were very strict and up to the day I left to get married I had to abide by their rules. "While you are under my roof you will do as I say" was a daily mantra.

TBH I think that was partly the reason I married so young as there was no living together or even living alone or with friends - only city girls could do that. It was the only way I could be independent and live as I wanted to. I really wanted to rebel and had my own ideas about things.

Still 45 years and still going so it can't have been all bad and even though they were a bit too strict I certainly was brought up to have morals and standards.

A youngish lady was describing a dress to me today and I said that they called that style a Suzy Yong dress in my day.

Anyone manage to wear one and look good in it?

Funny how talk of perfumes can take you back and you can almost smell the fragrance....I liked Flair by Yardley at one time, and had an auntie who dowsed herself in Tweed by Lentherec (think that was the name of the company). She thought it was so sophisticated, but my Mum used to open the windows in the lounge after she'd gone, it was that strong. I bought her the talc for her birthday once, and the container had a brown wooden top, I remember.

You know what LATI I can't remember, I remember it being in a brown chequered box (I think) I don't think it was a designer perfume, but could be wrong. For some reason I'm thinking Yardley along those lines, not sure though.

Love this thread lol .....when......you start talking about the 1970's glam rock stars and recieve a tumble weed/ blank stare look, and you go running around frantically for colleagues who say "oh yeah I remember them "! ... (And realise there is only less than a handful who work there that do ) :mysmilie_13:

Can anyone remember doing the 'Bamboozle Game' on channel4 teletext, I loved it and did it most days...

I saw in one of the Nationals a few weeks ago that the Rollers are considering re-forming!!! Well, all bar one of them, that is. Frightening!.......

Oh god, I loved the Bay City Rollers (what was I thinking?), and Donny Osmond - was so upset when he got married and I realised I would not be his wife!

Yes, it was Innoxa. They used to do makeup too, it carried a royal warrant!

Oh god, I loved the Bay City Rollers (what was I thinking?), and Donny Osmond - was so upset when he got married and I realised I would not be his wife!

Jimmy is on the upcoming celeb Masterchef but unfortunately he has been eating too many pies

Does anyone remember when National Insurance stamps were actual stamps. They were purchased by the employer, stuck into the employees card every week and when someone left the job they were given the card which is were the term given your cards comes from.

As a young wages clerk it was a blinking monotonous routine for a factory workforce.

Yes but I worked for a large cutlery firm and we had a stamp and inkpad as we had a lot of employees.

Funny how talk of perfumes can take you back and you can almost smell the fragrance....I liked Flair by Yardley at one time, and had an auntie who dowsed herself in Tweed by Lentherec (think that was the name of the company). She thought it was so sophisticated, but my Mum used to open the windows in the lounge after she'd gone, it was that strong. I bought her the talc for her birthday once, and the container had a brown wooden top, I remember.

Oh my gran always wore Tweed.

I was a Cassidy girl lol ...but love Donny these days lol....do you remember the socks and knickers with their faces on :mysmilie_19: I nagged my poor mum rotten for them ...the market sold them at a good price lol ...Ahhhh happy days :mysmilie_14:

We were a coupon collecting household. My mum smoked Embassy Regal, and my dad smoked Benson & Hedges Gold. Between their habits (40 a day and 60 a day respectively) we always had plenty to spend in the catalogues they sent out. Lots of Viners stainless steel in our house. We had 2 cars (quite a big deal back then) so also had loads of Green shield stamps... and petrol coupons (all our everyday glassware came from the petrol station, and we always managed to collect whole sets of glasses). Then we got tea and coffee from Ringtons who also had their own tokens on their packs that you could collect. I think we used to use them to get tea/coffee related items.

My brother and I rarely got to get new clothes from the shops, unless there were no hand-me-downs from the neighbours or other family members that fit or were suitable... and even then it was down to the sales. My dad only took us to department stores or men's outfitters. My school coat came from John Colliers, and most of my trousers came from there too (I was a tall enough girl it was possible, but I think the men got a bit of a fright finding a young girl in the changing rooms. We had hula hoops and clackers, and the much-desired footsie-ball, if anyone remembers those? My bro had a brand new Chipper... I had a used RSW14 once we were both too old for the old trike we had which my dad had fixed up for us - it had one of those metal trunks on the back... this one is close to what we had.

When we did get new clothes or toys they were normally home made. My gran made most of my clothes, and my dad had his workshop where he refurbished and repaired what we had (and did up second hand stuff for us and other kids in our street) as well as making stuff from scratch.

Nowadays the thrift of repairing what you have has largely disappeared. No more rag and bone man for the stuff you couldn't repair these days. We had the travelling repair men - grinding down chipped rims of glasses, sharpening knives. My dad repaired shoes and slippers and if he couldn't they'd go to the cobblers. Socks got darned, frayed collars were removed, reversed and reattached. Very little got wasted and very little got thrown away either, mind if you're just buying food to make from scratch there wasn't much packaging, and mostly that was paper which went in the paper recycling we used to have every week when the binmen came.

It's quite shocking to see what progress has given us in some ways, and a number of people have gone full circle. I know you can't really turn back the clock (and in many areas you really wouldn't want to), but a lot of the things which are now seen as an extra service (home delivery of food) were commonplace where I grew up - all the groceries and greengroceries, fish from the fishmonger and meat from the butcher would be delivered to the door - as well as the milk and the papers. My brother and I used to drop off the orders on our way to school on the specific day. In terms of the amount of waste we generated there really wasn't so much as there is now - peelings would go into compost.

I still have fond memories of Woods Ware china, which we used at home. They had different names depending on the colour. We had green so it was Woods Beryl in our house. I still have plain green china now... just from IKEA instead of Woods (not sure there was loads of choice as in 1960s we were still recovering from all the restrictions of rationing and then making for export-only).

I wasn't allowed to get my hair cut as a girl, so I don't have to regret a bad feathercut hairstyle... something I'm now very glad about. I wasn't allowed platforms, or any tartan-trimmed trousers (loved the Bay City Rollers). I'm sure my generation had less freedom than the one before, but it was still more focused on playing out with friends, even when we got into the teenage years, as we were expected to look after the younger kids, but we could be outside all day without any issue... in fact if you didn't go out you would get turfed out as all the parents in my street were great believers that fresh air was essential for kids.

My dad wore Old Spice (actually like the smell) and Brut. My mum was a bit posher - Coty L'Aimant. My nana was an Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass lady. I just wanted Charlie - and it smelled terrible on me!

Last edited:
I remember when I was very young the peelings and scrapings went into a bucket which was collected once a week by a man to feed pigs (I think that was it was for !)

I remember when I was very young the peelings and scrapings went into a bucket which was collected once a week by a man to feed pigs (I think that was it was for !)

The pig swill lorry used to come to our school for the scrapings and left overs so we were recycling long before it became fashionable. Doubt many schools cook lunches from scratch these days so it would be mostly plastic cartons that need to be recycled.

I feel old when (regarding QVC memories)....
  • the days of the huge QVC order line scrum to get a special offer on air (land line ordering only available, not even Q-CUT) was over 20 years ago
  • the days of The TSV countdown clock at midnight, and really having NO idea what TSV might be, )23 years ago
(in life...)
  • when to me, police officers/bank managers look as young as teenage school children
  • remembering fishing for half pence pieces in purse to pay the milkman or paper boy
  • when a child is told to 'get out of the way of the lady' and as I look for lady, then, realising its me
  • collecting green shield stamps
  • recalling my memories of the 1975 referendum

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back