You couldn't make it up

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They've promoted to "QVC Twit" one of the staff previously employed in sorting wax crayons by colour, there's bound to be a few mistakes during the intensive training process!

Sounds like they've employed someone from the same place that our local paper gets their reporters from! Some of the papers online reports really boggle the mind grammar wise.

These people should have been taught by my English teachers in the 50's and 60's. No AND or BUT to start a sentence, immediately corrected if we spoke in the wrong context ... ie "I done good ", and where the word "like" and "cool" follows every word now is beyond belief ! Upspeaking is another grating affectation, if I'm spoken to in that tone, I reply with "are you asking me a question ? because that's what it sounds like".

It infuriates me when I see people writing on facebook, emails, blogs or forums in text speak. " gud, plz, sez, luv, woz " etc etc

They don't write wot like I write no more ! ...

Where I used t work a young girl of 18 was doing my appraisal ...nursery nurse ...Im qualified level 3NVQ ..I actually felt awful for her ..I'm mum of two,lads in their 20's and I had worked there 7 years and could be looked at as a senior position really ....but this poor young girl who would write out bits and bobs and tell us that she had "writ" something etc...omgoodness ..I just went along with the appraisal ..but what an insult really for the manageress to allow it ...cringe ..cringe...and I honestly felt for the girl ...I was leaving anyway but would,have left there and then I think lol

These people should have been taught by my English teachers

Don't you mean 'should of' brissles? :mysmilie_17:

There's no excuse these days for spelling errors with all the spellcheckers around and if people bothered to use them they might learn something! :mysmilie_10:

I don't think many at QVC would know good grammar if it kicked them in the backside! The worst offenders are Carla Lazslo (spelling?) and Jill Franks. It particularly annoys me when JF puts herself first. Not only is the grammar bad, it's downright rude! They should be tried for crimes against English. Alison tries, but reminds me of Del Boy - she knows what she's trying to say but doesn't always get it exactly correct.

Weird Al had some fun about poor grammar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Judging from the amount of spelling mistakes that appear on the information on screen during a show, I think they should all be issued with a spell checker instead of an iPad.

Please, don't get me started. This subject infuriates me at times.

The amount of people who don't know the difference between there/their/they're is absolutely shocking if you ask me, closely followed by a constant struggle between your & you're.

My third is people typing 'should of' when they mean 'should have'. But the most unforgivable is the complete lack of understanding between to/too/two. Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh.

I'm going to sit in a darkened room now, just to calm myself down again. :)

These people should have been taught by my English teachers in the 50's and 60's. No AND or BUT to start a sentence, immediately corrected if we spoke in the wrong context ... ie "I done good ", and where the word "like" and "cool" follows every word now is beyond belief ! Upspeaking is another grating affectation, if I'm spoken to in that tone, I reply with "are you asking me a question ? because that's what it sounds like".

Taught ? Don't you mean teached ?

I was always better at English than Maths, but I admit to still getting stuck with the grammatical use of myself as the first person and one another : as in "me and....." or "my husband and me / I " and when to use these terms properly. If anyone can help and explain, it would be much appreciated, as I feel whatever I say is wrong.

Don't get me going on this. I hate it when people answer a question with "SO....." It sounds as though they are about to give a lecture. Another thing, when did we start saying "GOTTEN?" For example "He has gotten over her." What's that all about? There are so many things about the modern use of English that really annoy me, so I think I'd better shut up before I spontaneously combust.

Dont forget JFs "bran new" and her all time favourite "somethink" have you ever heard the likes? I know many people drop the "g" off something mostly down to regional accents (or in my case, flamin lazy) but c'mon!.......ooops I mean come on! "somethink" that's just down right ridiculous.

I was always better at English than Maths, but I admit to still getting stuck with the grammatical use of myself as the first person and one another : as in "me and....." or "my husband and me / I " and when to use these terms properly. If anyone can help and explain, it would be much appreciated, as I feel whatever I say is wrong.

When I was a youngster I had trouble with this until someone explained that if you dropped the other person off would it still make sense as it becomes a lot more obvious. "My husband and me went shopping" doesn't sound too bad until you make it into "me went shopping "and then you just know it is incorrect, but "I went shopping" is correct so you just slip my husband into the phrase. Hope this makes sense and helps.

My absolute worst one is "loose" when people mean "lose". Fink instead of Think maybe? More better? WTF?

CC

I know it isn't incorrect but I find listening to the phrase "2 times as much" doesn't sound as free flowing as "twice as much".

My absolute worst one is "loose" when people mean "lose". Fink instead of Think maybe? More better? WTF?

CC

Now loose and lose is one I would like a handy way of remembering as I have to think (or fink) about it every time.

All suggestions for all the popular mistakes gratefully received.

Latest posts

Back