You Buy It New From QVC But How Old Is It Really?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Powder products will keep forever really. Mascara to be honest the 3 month rule is crap. When it dries out I throw out. Or if you ever get an eye infection they you should do it. Never share mascara either.

My Opthalmologist advised 2 months with mascaras as they are a hotbed for bacteria

We have all sorts of parasites living on us. Seem to remember that we have eyelash mites. So perhaps an eyelash mite ends up on the mascara brush and then into the tube to polute it. Also the bacteria on the eyelashes could be transferred into the tube and then multiplies in the conditions inside the tube. So when you reapply the mascara more bacteria than your eye can cope with is applied.

It's not just QVC that sell old products. I placed a big order yesterday with Liz Earle direct and received it this morning.

Every product that I received is over a year old, so how can they say that the products have a shelf life of 3 years, when its already been sitting on their shelves for over a year !!!

What makes it worse is, items that I brought last June are fresher than the ones I received today !!!

Got an email today to say they are putting up their prices - yet again.

We have all sorts of parasites living on us. Seem to remember that we have eyelash mites. So perhaps an eyelash mite ends up on the mascara brush and then into the tube to polute it. Also the bacteria on the eyelashes could be transferred into the tube and then multiplies in the conditions inside the tube. So when you reapply the mascara more bacteria than your eye can cope with is applied.

If you have eyelash mites your eyelids at the lash line are itchy that is how you can tell. Easy to get rid of with baby shampoo it seems.

Thanks for this, I'm hooked already, lol!
:giggle:

This one is causing interest on the QVC Facebook page. Seems people have discovered that beauty products bought brand new from QVC are already sometimes half way or more through their use by date.

This site

http://checkcosmetic.net/

You put in your batch code on popular brands and it tells you when it was manufactured.

L'Occitane stuff bought at the end of last year and actually made in the middle of 2010 etc.

Try it and see how old your products really are.

I will admit on perfume boards we do use it to make sure we have vintage and not reformulated perfumes.:rock:

I've just bought a bottle of 'Take the day off' make up remover from the Clinique counter in Debenhams. Now I'm home I've opened it and sniffed the bottle. It smells different to usual. So I've put the batch ref into the Check Cosmetic's website and can't believe it was manufactured in Jan 2010, so out of 36 months shelf life, it only has 11 months left. I know I've opened it now and it has to be used within 6 months, but this has been a real eye opener for me! You would think they had a quicker stock turn around than that!

Do you think this is a result of poor sales - surely people have cut back so maybe suppliers are left with higher stock levels, until they have adjusted their production levels. Or it could be poor stock control - older stuff should be used first, especially if it is 'perishable'.

There's a small aging selection of L'Occitane products in Beals in Worthing which seems to have been there gathering dust since I moved down here 16 years ago. I'd never buy anything and it looks as though no one else does. Be interesting to see how old they are.

Jude xx

It's not just QVC that sell old products. I placed a big order yesterday with Liz Earle direct and received it this morning.

Every product that I received is over a year old, so how can they say that the products have a shelf life of 3 years, when its already been sitting on their shelves for over a year !!!

What makes it worse is, items that I brought last June are fresher than the ones I received today !!!

Got an email today to say they are putting up their prices - yet again.

:flower: Dear Tabatha, :flower:

How did you check your Liz Earle products ?
Was it on http://checkcosmetic.net/

Did you choose the brand Avon ?
It doesn't work for me :sad:

My batch code from Liz Earle is P1223L.
When I put it in with the brand Avon (as I can't see Liz Earle), it say :
Error: specified code is not correct, or not supported.

How should I test my Liz Earle batch numbers ?

:flower::flower::flower:

:flower: Dear Tabatha, :flower:

How did you check your Liz Earle products ?
Was it on http://checkcosmetic.net/

Did you choose the brand Avon ?
It doesn't work for me :sad:

My batch code from Liz Earle is P1223L.
When I put it in with the brand Avon (as I can't see Liz Earle), it say :
Error: specified code is not correct, or not supported.

How should I test my Liz Earle batch numbers ?

:flower::flower::flower:

Liz Earle batch codes are different from Avon.

Your item was produced on the 11th August 2011. Basically the first number is the year it was produced - i.e. 2011 and the next three numbers are the day in the year - i.e. 223 = 11th August.

Hope that helps.

Call me thick but what calculation do you use to convert 223 into the 11th August?

Liz Earle batch codes are different from Avon.

Your item was produced on the 11th August 2011. Basically the first number is the year it was produced - i.e. 2011 and the next three numbers are the day in the year - i.e. 223 = 11th August.

Hope that helps.

Thank you VERY MUCH, Tabatha ! :flower::star::flower:

This information is really usefull ! :clapping:

:flower::flower::flower::flower:

Latest posts

Back