Yes, I know I'm old fashioned.........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm wondering, if the carbolic is antiseptic & fresh, would it be good for bathing, say to replace tea tree? or would it be like drain fluid?
Fresh isn't a word I'd use to describe carbolic, really. I'd say it's a more 'medicinal' antiseptic type of smell. Only oneway to find out though, and that's to buy a bar and see what you think. You can always use it up on household jobs if you hate it.

I'm wondering, if the carbolic is antiseptic & fresh, would it be good for bathing, say to replace tea tree? or would it be like drain fluid?
I`ve no idea how old you are SS but years ago you bought pink Germolene ointment in small round tins and the smell of the pink carbolic soap reminds me of that. The new Germolene in tubes doesn`t smell the same and is white in colour so it doesn`t compare.

Our son, daughter in law and grandson went to Sorrento in May just gone because their friend got married over there, they said it was a beautiful place and will definitely go back, so me and the husband are going to go next year :mysmilie_3:

It's the most stunning place, love the little lanes, called drains, the restaurants, the people. If I won the lottery I would go and live there.

I dye my hair dark brown Sisterbliss and there isn't really a lot of red in it. Head and shoulders had the same effect on it...you learn by your mistakes!

I`ve no idea how old you are SS but years ago you bought pink Germolene ointment in small round tins and the smell of the pink carbolic soap reminds me of that. The new Germolene in tubes doesn`t smell the same and is white in colour so it doesn`t compare.

My Mom is a serial hoarder & still has the germolene in tubs . The lid is probably rusted on, but I loved the smell when she attacked me with it! I have smelled the yellow carbolic but not used it in the bath. I think it would probably stain ours....(long story)

Last edited:
Sorento- yes, beautiful indeed - you might even say incredible. However, there are wall to wall tourists, inflated prices, seemingly hundreds of street vendors selling sentimental rubbish, and the people are certainly "lovely " while they're fleecing you. I say, save your money, and if you want to visit quaint villages with twisty lanes, genuine people, and good, honest food, stay in Britain ! (Am I an Anglophile, or what ?)

I had a lovely holiday in Amalfi some years ago. Stunning. But oh, so crowded.

We went to Minori a few years ago,and used the buses and ferries to get to Amalfi and Maori. Whilst it was a pretty town preferred Sorrento. We were never fleeced, but it isn't cheap.

We went to Minori a few years ago,and used the buses and ferries to get to Amalfi and Maori. Whilst it was a pretty town preferred Sorrento. We were never fleeced, but it isn't cheap.

Visited several times & I agree with you.

I was given a sample of Eve Lom moisturiser in Space NK a couple of years ago.

I tried it on my face next day and immediately washed it off. It smelled exactly like the Valderma spot cream I used to put on before school when I was about 14, not something I want to be reminded of :mysmilie_514:

BUT when I hear Craig Rowe saying he "hadn't yet tried the Elemis Overnight Matrix" , why do I screw my face up ?

Yep, the men in my life wore aftershave and smelled beautiful, but that's where they drew the line. This is where I'm a dinosaur, and clearly the chaps of today have a cupboard full of potions, lotions, treatments and manicure 'stuff', so they don't have a zit invading their face and shave their bodies smoother than a baby's bum, but it still makes me 'twitch'.

Craig is mistakenly playing to his audience. He think that because the customer base of QVC is ladies of a certain age, playing 'hair and make up' will endear him to us and make him appear more knowledgeable and relevant. When you think about it, is really quite sweet. However, for me, the overall effect is make him appear a bit of a nancy boy, and I find it all a bit embarrassing - I'm embarrassed for him. That's probably just my age.

I have no problem with men being experts in skincare, make-up, hair or any other stereotypical 'female' areas. But for me, it would be great if this could be done without quite so much effeminate mincing about and trying to 'be one of the girls'.

And no, I"m not a homophobe. I'm just old and a bit traditional and I personally prefer the more conventional ways of going about things.

Craig is mistakenly playing to his audience. He think that because the customer base of QVC is ladies of a certain age, playing 'hair and make up' will endear him to us and make him appear more knowledgeable and relevant. When you think about it, is really quite sweet. However, for me, the overall effect is make him appear a bit of a nancy boy, and I find it all a bit embarrassing - I'm embarrassed for him. That's probably just my age.

I have no problem with men being experts in skincare, make-up, hair or any other stereotypical 'female' areas. But for me, it would be great if this could be done without quite so much effeminate mincing about and trying to 'be one of the girls'.

And no, I"m not a homophobe. I'm just old and a bit traditional and I personally prefer the more conventional ways of going about things.

'Nancy Boy' & 'mincing' is so funny ( in your fun context of course)

I don't know if it is because I very rarely see him but he seems to be getting worse.

We had a week on the Amalfi Coast last year, staying in Maori. We visited Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Pompei and my favourite place, Ravello. Villa Ruffalo is beautiful and the views stunning,

We had a week on the Amalfi Coast last year, staying in Maori. We visited Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Pompei and my favourite place, Ravello. Villa Ruffalo is beautiful and the views stunning,

Ravello is stunning. Got some lovely photos from the Villa Ruffolo.

Latest posts

Back