yankie candles

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

saffie

Registered Shopper
Am I doing something wrong, I have bought loads of yankie candles, tried different fragrances, but can never smell them.

There are certain Yankee candles that I can't smell but they're few and far between. Perhaps you've just been unlucky. Or perhaps you've been lucky because some of them are really pungent and not in a good way.

I have the luxury of burning a Jo Malone candle at the minute. Red Roses ... it's fabulous.

Can you smell other things? Yankee are way too smelly for me, I use a tart-warmer with about an eighth of a tart and it gets over-whelming after about 10-20 minutes. I can't light candles because I'd have to blow them out too soon to get an even melt across the top.

Jude xx

Never had this problem.
Not being rude but I wonder if your sense of smell isn't that good.
A lot of Yankee candles I've had smell really strong fragranced.
When I burn a tart I use half and it lasts ages !

I find Yankee very synthetic smelling, even the ones based on real flowers etc. Also the jars going black, no matter what you do with the wick etc. I am burning a L'Occitane lavender one at the moment and its getting me better smell than Yankee does.

I had this problem with a set of small jars. The only thing I could smell was paraffin wax, yuck! Donna, I always get the problems with jars going black, no matter how short the wick is. I think it's just poor quality wax. I never this problem with Neom or Woodwick candles which both use soya wax.

burning a l'occitanwe amber really lovely and a good perfume for my bedroom. yankee on the whole are really strong imo. hate fresh cut roses,baby powder and clean cotton (boring) and some of the foody ones. tahitian tiare flower is the best floral imo that they do and i prefer the tarts to the candles but the large are good value as they burn for several months. dont but samplers or small candles as they dont give off enough scent!

Any ideas of where I can get soy tarts anyone? I'm allergic to all the mainstream, and even high-end candles (Jo Malone and L'Occitane are still paraffin and they still choke me, no matter how good they initially smell).

Much as I love the fragrances, I have to warn relatives that burn Yankee (and my niece who buys every Glade candle on the shelves!) that I'll be visiting so they can stop a few hours before and open a few windows. Don't get me started with air fresheners in general (in all forms - plug-ins to diffuser sticks) - I know most manufacturers have started putting allergy warnings on packaging - but companies seriously need to have a good think about what they can take out of their products that'll help people WITH allergies and to stop people getting them! Last time I put the car in for service I had to make a scene because I had specifically asked them NOT to hang an air freshener but they did anyway. And that was the fifth service I'd had with them! (Okay, rant over.)

I've just bought the electric burner with the idea that I may be able to scrape out the bottom of the soy candles I burn cos I loathe throwing so much god wax out! (I'm also a bit on the cack-handed side and am a liability around lit candles!)

Any ideas of where I can get soy tarts anyone? I'm allergic to all the mainstream, and even high-end candles (Jo Malone and L'Occitane are still paraffin and they still choke me, no matter how good they initially smell).

Much as I love the fragrances, I have to warn relatives that burn Yankee (and my niece who buys every Glade candle on the shelves!) that I'll be visiting so they can stop a few hours before and open a few windows. Don't get me started with air fresheners in general (in all forms - plug-ins to diffuser sticks) - I know most manufacturers have started putting allergy warnings on packaging - but companies seriously need to have a good think about what they can take out of their products that'll help people WITH allergies and to stop people getting them! Last time I put the car in for service I had to make a scene because I had specifically asked them NOT to hang an air freshener but they did anyway. And that was the fifth service I'd had with them! (Okay, rant over.)

I've just bought the electric burner with the idea that I may be able to scrape out the bottom of the soy candles I burn cos I loathe throwing so much god wax out! (I'm also a bit on the cack-handed side and am a liability around lit candles!)

http://www.busybeecandles.co.uk/product-category/wax-tart-selection-boxes/

You could try here, not a candle user myself but know someone that has ordered form this website. They had no problems

You can definitely use the bottom bit of any candles in a tart burner. I allergic to waste so I bought a tart burner for that specific purpose.

Could you cut up a whole candle into tarts and use them in a burner, so you don't get any of the problems with a lighted candle (smoke, uneven burning, incomplete melting, etc)

Could you cut up a whole candle into tarts and use them in a burner, so you don't get any of the problems with a lighted candle (smoke, uneven burning, incomplete melting, etc)

I don't see any reason why you couldn't,Strato.
I often use the ends of candles as tarts,like Tinkerbelle I never throw them away.

I normally use the tarts rather than the candles, but was given some medium jars for christmas. 2x black cherry ( one of my favs ), fruit salad and spiced orange or something! They were all fine apart from one of the black cherry jars, which for some reason absolutely stunk! OH said it smelled to him as if the wax had gone off? Is that possible?
Any one else had this problem with the jars. Put off buying anymore jar candles after that. Never had any problems with the tarts - apart from one christmas one that smelled like toilet cleaner. :grin:

They had a stand selling Yankee Candles at the Akropolis Centre the other day. I opened the lids of some of the jars. I don't remember what the fragrances were called but one was powder blue in colour, another one peach, and another one cream. The cream one was some sort of vanilla thing which was nice, but the other ones were too perfumey! I remembered them talking about these candles on QVC and how "real" the fragrances are. I was not hugely impressed. Save your money and buy an essential oil burner. Then you can put cheap tea lights in and still get the real fragrance!
If anyone has a Planet Organic they do lovely candles in there. Soya ones and all sorts of different types and fragrances. They kick Yankee into touch any day!

Latest posts

Back