Why have Exmoor Style Foods?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yazrose

Registered Shopper
What is the point of Exmoor Style foods?
Why not just have food from Exmoor?

I don't see the point.

I've heard of Lancashire hotpot, Yorkshire pud, welsh rarebit, irish stew and scotch broth, but what the heck comes from Exmoor?? Apart from a lot of grass and ponies and it's against my religion to eat ponies!!

Has it got anything to do with bucclugh (not sure how you spell it) food, as the same guy has represented both ranges on QVC.

Has it got anything to do with bucclugh (not sure how you spell it) food, as the same guy has represented both ranges on QVC.

He looks like a heart attack on legs that fella. I almost feel like I can't breathe when I watch him.

The meats are ridiculously expensive, any truly decent local butcher should be able to provide meat of that quality & at a far lower price, though still higher than supermarket prices of course!
We used to have an excellent butcher before we moved, won all sorts of awards, a proper 'family business' too, been going for generations!

Ha - just saw them get a chicken breast out of the pan, slice it and then quickly cut away, as it revealed it to be still pink and raw in the middle!

What is the point of Exmoor Style foods?
Why not just have food from Exmoor?

I don't see the point.

Style over substance, I suppose, yazrose. As KWC says, it's probably no better than your local family butcher, if you can find one. We are very lucky to have one near to me but sadly TBH I often end up buying from Sainsburys as I get everything in one go :( but the butcher is much nicer.

It is nothing to do with Buccleugh other than its guest is the same man. A friend of our family (experienced in the meat industry) knows him very well (says he is one of the nicest, most generous men you could wish to meet, by the way) and told us that Andrew had decided to branch out on his own. It is my understanding that it is Exmoor style because some of the products come from just outside the Exmoor park area. I don't know about the quality/value (I've been a fish-eating veggie for 22 years) but our friend reckons there is an enormous difference between the average butcher and this kind of supplier.

Nice to know that about Andrew, Nicky-j. I think these sort of suppliers probably also sell to decent restaurants and there is a big difference just in flavour if you can afford to pay more. For me I'm afraid it's more for high days and holidays but I would be quite happy to pay extra if I could. I could justify paying more for this type of food than £30 for a cheesecake or some Lime Tree pies :D

...but our friend reckons there is an enormous difference between the average butcher and this kind of supplier.

There is indeed but I'm talking about a really good local butchers & they are still around if you look carefully & ask around!

The one we used to go to was a prize-winning black pudding & sausage maker & either reared or handpicked all their meat on the hoof personally, using only animals that came from quality producers & didn't feed them on rubbish (fish meal etc.) that would taint the meat with an unpleasant aftertaste & so on!

Yes, they were expensive in comparison to the supermarkets but not as expensive as those on QVC! As a diehard carnivore, I've tasted some great meat in my time & that is still very overpriced IMHO!

I'm starting a company called 'Broadmoor Style Foods'

Mad Cow Steaks in a tasty Valium marinade.

£270 each

On 3 queazy payments

The thing that gets me is they bleet on about it being "locally sourced" but then its shipped hundreds of miles all over the UK, locally sourced to me is around 30 miles from where i live, the butchers we get our meat from in town is supplied from the slaughterhouse 14 miles away and meat is from surrounding farms in the county, and its cheaper from the supermarket

Latest posts

Back