Who is old enough to remember..........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I remember my aunt, who is about 10 years older than me, morphing into a Mod overnight. She spent some time accumulating all the necessary clothes, make up etc. and then one morning just appeared as her 'new' self and never looked back. I was about 7 at the time.

Yeahhhhhhh another mod ! all parkas and scooters with hundreds of lamps and a tiger's tail on the back ! We did have some great times - yes we had short minis, but we all looked 'decent' (certainly not like the 'hooker' look that's in fashion now), and dare I say it ....... smart !

My big brother was a Mod, it was a nightmare trying to get into the bathroom when he went in. A smog of hairspray and deo in the air. I did dab his Old Spice on though:mysmilie_59:

brissles, you sound just like me; when I watch quiz programmes on TV one of the things that strikes me is that so many of the under 30's know very little about entertainers who were around either when they were very young, or a few decades before. Younger contestants have even said "but that was before I was born!" as a reason for getting a question wrong - quite indignant that they've been asked such a question! Begs the question: should they only be asked questions about things that happened last week, and that they'll know the answer to? I'm amazed that 30-somethings, when asked a question about Morecombe & Wise and the Andre Previn sketch, didn't know it was about piano playing!! We're not talking about questions on Marie Lloyd or other Victorian music hall artists here, it's 20th century culture. I never saw George Formby or watched his films back in his heyday, but have seen clips from his films, read articles in newspapers and remember my parents talking about his wartime films. Of course, I know you shouldn't generalise, and plenty of the younger ones do know about popular culture from a while back, but if quiz shows are anything to go by, there are a heck of a lot who are only up to date on recent entertainers and TV programmes.

WELL ! some of us have being saying for some time that Q and a lot of whats on the tele have 'kids' running the set up. No further proof needed, when Leslie and Charlie were on doing the Susan Graver show, Leslie said a pair of trousers reminded her of Doris Day - then a child in the Gallery said to Charlie "who's Doris Day?". Need I say more ? Sadly I know some of this generation haven't a clue who Fred Astaire or Frank Sinatra are. (shaking my head)

Last edited:
I think it's a shame when younger people are effectively culturally illiterate. My parents made me watch musicals, opera, ballet, black & white filmes etc when on the telly. To this day, although I am a child of the 1970s and therefore colour telly, I have favourites from an earlier age. I freely admit that I used to sit and sulk initially, but the quality of the offerings (eg: South Pacific) won me over.

I remember all the Bob Newhart stuff. There's also a thing called The Astronaut whose name is Jose Jimenez. I remember my brother buying this but I have no idea when it was.

brissles, you sound just like me; when I watch quiz programmes on TV one of the things that strikes me is that so many of the under 30's know very little about entertainers who were around either when they were very young, or a few decades before. Younger contestants have even said "but that was before I was born!" as a reason for getting a question wrong - quite indignant that they've been asked such a question! Begs the question: should they only be asked questions about things that happened last week, and that they'll know the answer to? I'm amazed that 30-somethings, when asked a question about Morecombe & Wise and the Andre Previn sketch, didn't know it was about piano playing!! We're not talking about questions on Marie Lloyd or other Victorian music hall artists here, it's 20th century culture. I never saw George Formby or watched his films back in his heyday, but have seen clips from his films, read articles in newspapers and remember my parents talking about his wartime films. Of course, I know you shouldn't generalise, and plenty of the younger ones do know about popular culture from a while back, but if quiz shows are anything to go by, there are a heck of a lot who are only up to date on recent entertainers and TV programmes.

Yes, I so agree with everything you've said. It never ceases to amaze me that those born in the 70's and after seem to know only recent 'stuff'. I too used to join in discussions with my parents about events that happened in 'their day', and my knowledge of 30s 40s and 50s film and music was influenced by my parents. My grandparents too, born around the turn of the last century were also influential in my knowledge of their era.

Pointless is a good example of 'youngsters' lack of knowledge. They know all the pop artists ever created from the 80's onwards, but I've seen some who didn't know that Paris was north of Madrid !!!! strewth ! does this generation who have more access to "Uni" than ever before never actually read a book/atlas or enlighten their worldly knowledge by at least properly surfing the net !

Pointless does gear their questions to a particular age group, and very rarely are questions aimed at the silver surfers.

Funny you mention South Pacific. I put it on to watch with my children when they were little (great dancing around the room when it's raining), but my son, then about 5 was freaked out by the Bali Hai song, his 4 year old sister would then chase him around the house shouting "oooooh Bali Hai ooooh" - little monkey!

Latest posts

Back