Who is old enough to remember..........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

oh those were the days, I remember both of them so vividly, enough that my mother who when she first heard the driving instructor one, I thought she was going to wet herself, we immediately went out and bought it, and laughed many times while we listened.

Oh Radio Luxemborg, I used lay in bed at night with a little radio listening. You had to tweak the tuner every so often as it used to fade in and out. My Mum used to come into my bedroom and take it off me, then tell me to go to sleep. For some reason when I Radio Luxemborg I think David Bowie Starman, I can remember they played it so much back then.
Lucky you, being able to listen in bed! I could only get Luxembourg in the bathroom, and then only with the radio hanging out of the window. After about 8pm it faded out completely and became impossible to listen to! (Kids these days don't know they're born with all their technology, itunes and spotify ... )
Also remember that no-one in our family had a telephone. Phone calls were made from the red box at the end of the street, with a pile of coins to shove in when the pips went, and there was usually a queue. My grandparents eventually had a phone installed in the early 80's 'for emergencies'. What a novelty that was! We all sat watching it and waiting for the darn thing to ring :mysmilie_13: Whoever would have thought within 20 years we'd all be carrying a phone in our handbags?
Unbelievable really, the changes our generation has witnessed in such a short space of time.

Hows this for spending money.................

When the video recorder first came out - early 80s', we plumped for a Betamax as opposed to VHS. There was a huge market in rental videos - generally around 5.99 a time. BUT when the blank tapes for your own recordings first emerged onto the market, they were................£9.99 EACH !! My new husband decided to spend his Xmas bonus of £100 on 10 of these blank tapes - YES I KNOW !!!! Oh, the times they were used over and over again,, and so we collected a library of sporting events and classic films. Fast forward even 10 years and these ****** tapes were a fiver for a pack of 5. I groan even now at the money we spent.

I was watching Old Mother Riley meets the Vampire this morning, I could see the genesis of Mrs Brown, Mother Riley was a man, Arthur Lucan, dressed in women's clothing, it was quaint and sweet. Lovely to see Bella Lugosi who was playing it almost completely straight. I love the old black and white movies. Wish I could watch Treasure Hunt again, it starred Martita Hunt and Jimmy Edwards. I loved that film when I was little, I saw it once on television and forever after called Jimmy Edwards the "cuckoo man"!

WELL ! some of us have being saying for some time that Q and a lot of whats on the tele have 'kids' running the set up. No further proof needed, when Leslie and Charlie were on doing the Susan Graver show, Leslie said a pair of trousers reminded her of Doris Day - then a child in the Gallery said to Charlie "who's Doris Day?". Need I say more ? Sadly I know some of this generation haven't a clue who Fred Astaire or Frank Sinatra are. (shaking my head)

Who is Doris Day? Diabolical ignorance. Fred too!

Come on now...fess up...who was an Ovaltiney?

We Are The Ovaltineys
We are the Ovaltineys,
Little girls and boys;
Make your requests, we'll not refuse you,
We are here just to amuse you.
Would you like a song or story,
Will you share our joys?
At games and sports we're more than keen;
No merrier children could be seen,
Because we all drink Ovaltine,
We're happy girls and boys!

Lucky you, being able to listen in bed! I could only get Luxembourg in the bathroom, and then only with the radio hanging out of the window. After about 8pm it faded out completely and became impossible to listen to! (Kids these days don't know they're born with all their technology, itunes and spotify ... )
Also remember that no-one in our family had a telephone. Phone calls were made from the red box at the end of the street, with a pile of coins to shove in when the pips went, and there was usually a queue. My grandparents eventually had a phone installed in the early 80's 'for emergencies'. What a novelty that was! We all sat watching it and waiting for the darn thing to ring :mysmilie_13: Whoever would have thought within 20 years we'd all be carrying a phone in our handbags?
Unbelievable really, the changes our generation has witnessed in such a short space of time.

Now our bathroom was downstairs, so if you wanted to listen to Radio Luxembourg, you had to open the window and try to sit the radio on the frame!!!!

Now who remember the magazine Fab 208 it was connected to RL(well some of the DJs used to write in it)? I used to try to buy it but it was hard as very few news agents kept it in Belfast, sometimes it was month before you got another copy. It had loads of US type stuff which we never got in our magazines.

Yep I bought Fab208, thinking it was more hip than Jackie.

There was also a small-sized magazine (printed on newspaper not glossy) with pop song lyrics, it was called "Disco 45". So much easier than stopping and starting the cassette recorder a million times to scribble down the lyrics. It only came out monthly so often there were lyrics for songs that bombed in the charts which we'd never heard of.

One girl in my form at school went home for lunch and on Tuesdays (Johnnie Walker's afternoon show launched the new chart I think) she'd come back in the afternoon having scribbled down the newly released charts. It'd get passed around all afternoon and numerous copies made.

My older brother bought Sounds and Melody Maker which produced their own, different Top 30 (or 20) we'd argue about which was more valid.

i OFTEN WISH THAT CHILDREN/TEENAGERS/ANYONE 20'ISH, HAD THE BENEFIT OF LIVING IN A LOVELY TIME WHICH WAS MORE FAMILY ORIENTATED, WHEN CHRISTMAS WAS TRULY SPECIAL, AND WHEN WOMEN LOOKED LIKE WOMEN, I LOVED THE DRINDLE SKIRTS AND DRESSES, WITH THE WONDERFULLY COLOURED TIERS OF UNDERSKIRTS TO MAKE THE DRINDLE'S STAND OUT, TO ME KIDS THESE DAYS ARE MISSING SUCH A LOT, AND I KNOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED - MANY TIMES I WISH I WAS 15 AGAIN AND FULL OF HOPE AND ENJOYING LIFE SO MUCH, NOT BECAUSE I WANT TO BE YOUNGER, SIMPLY BECAUSE I THINK THAT WHEN I WAS IN MY TEENS AND LATER - LIFE WAS SO MUCH NICER.

DORIS DAY, FRANKS SINATRA, FRED ASTAIRE ET AL - THE LIST IS ENDLESS, AND ROMANCE WAS IN THE AIR = LOVELY.

Sadly my home life in the 60s and 70s was all a bit sh!t, though I'd agree I still loved Christmas because my older brother would be home for a week or so.

Awwwww, sorry to hear that Akimbo, but hope your life since then has been markedly happier. We all have cr..p in our lives (even the Royal Family are not immune), but we handle it and get through the best way we can.

I think all this reminiscing shows that we can reach back to times, tv programmes and material things that we can look back on with a smile.

I still have plenty of fondly-remembered, happy rose-tinted memories, thanks Brissles. But often it's the daftest details I recall.

Anyone remember these woolen yarn hair ties:

Attachments

• hair woollen ties.jpg
    hair woollen ties.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 93
Yes, I wore those in my hair - we knew them as 'Doodles' and it was fashionable to wear two co-ordinating colours tied together. I've always been at the cutting edge of fashion, me ...

They came after my 'time' I'm afraid - I was more on the cusp of bouffant and back combing birds nests, and sleek Cathy McGowan long bobs. It was an odd time - started off the 60's in stiff petticoats, poppa beads and huuuuuge white handbags, then morphed in the mid 60's to mini's, pakamacs, hush puppy shoes and steel combs to smooth down the bobs !

Latest posts

Back