We are not worthy.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

So did I. I loved all the different hints and tips, and though I'm certainly no expert at sewing or crafts, even I was inspired to make a few bits from patterns, etc. given away (I used to like Prima for this), and I tried a few recipes, too (ones that didn't require a mega number of ingredients). I stopped buying magazines years ago, because there was less and less that I wanted to read and the prices were getting ridiculous for the poor content. I've still got a scrapbook of bits I cut out from them, and I often thumb through to look up something, or try out a recipe I've not done for a while. Do you remember the Doctor's columns they used to have? A sister-in-law of mine cut these out religiously and kept all of them - and when her husband had a problem with his foot, she diagnosed what it was from one of the 'advice bits'! His GP confirmed it and laughed his head off when he was told the story.

I used to love reading the magazines - my gran was the subscriber in our family though. Great short stories, recipes, knitting patterns, articles about ordinary people who had interesting experiences, home crafts and decorating tips, tried and tested products, puzzles. Far more interesting content than nowadays. If the magazines are a reflection of us and our society - it's in a disgraceful and depressing state... I've rather got my grump on today, I'm afraid!

China Girl, Your post brings back happy memories of younger days and a lovely neighbour we had. When I was in my teens, we had this neighbour living opposite, an elderly lady who bought loads of women's magazines each week. You name it, she had it, Women's Realm, Woman, Woman's Own, The Lady, etc.. She would save them up until she was ready to part with them, then she'd stagger across the road to my Mum & Dad's house, to give them to me, as she knew I liked reading anything and everything! My Mum & Dad worried about her carrying this pile of magazines across the road, and used to gently hint that she should let one of us come over and pick them up, (she was a small lady, rather frail), but no, she'd insist on doing it herself. Although she had a husband, I think she enjoyed the tea and gossip she always had whenever she came to ours - and I had reading material for about 6 weeks at a time! She was just like family, really - as so many neighbours used to be in those days - but I hadn't thought about her in a while, and you jogged my memory - thanks.

I used to love reading those old style Woman magazines, my nan got them every week. They seemed quite glamorous to me growing up. The make up pages in particular, and sneakily reading the problem pages at the back

Last edited:
I've still got recipes from some of the old magazines. I had a fab one I must dig out for Lemon Drizzle Cake - they sell something labelled that in many shops but every one I try is a disappointment. The biggest compliment I was paid when I made my Women's Weekly Lemon Drizzle Cake was a request for the receipe from a Home Economics teacher!

I have to say - I may be interested to spot a celebrity I like doing a voiceover (O2 and Sean Bean, for example) but it has no influence whatsoever on my purchasing decisions. If the product has to be propped up by sleb endorsement to be a success, then it's probably not really up to the job. It's about as credible a justification of why you should buy the product as "because I want you to". Good sales is about explaining why the product is suitable for you, and how it will address your concerns or requirements... knowing who has been incentivised (by free product, at the very least) to endorse it doesn't help me one jot.

What happy memories this is bringing back - I used to love the Woman, Woman's Own, Reader's Digest, etc. I cannot stand the magazines today either, with so called celebs on the front, who I have never heard of. It just does not interest me. The last magazine I bought was Autosport as I love Formula One, but I have given that up now for reading online. The only time I look at these magazines are when I have my hair cut, and they just seem to be advert after advert with pictures of celebs. To be honest I prefer to people watch whilst I am there instead - far more interesting.

So did I. I loved all the different hints and tips, and though I'm certainly no expert at sewing or crafts, even I was inspired to make a few bits from patterns, etc. given away (I used to like Prima for this), and I tried a few recipes, too (ones that didn't require a mega number of ingredients). I stopped buying magazines years ago, because there was less and less that I wanted to read and the prices were getting ridiculous for the poor content. I've still got a scrapbook of bits I cut out from them, and I often thumb through to look up something, or try out a recipe I've not done for a while. Do you remember the Doctor's columns they used to have? A sister-in-law of mine cut these out religiously and kept all of them - and when her husband had a problem with his foot, she diagnosed what it was from one of the 'advice bits'! His GP confirmed it and laughed his head off when he was told the story.

(mum writes)
Me too! I used to keep all the recipes in a scrapbook and would have a go at cooking up the recipes. I was married at 19 and used to enjoy rustling up things for my "beloved" ;) My brother bought me a Good Housekeeping recipe book as a wedding present and I was over the moon with it. I still have it here somewhere. Proper, old fashioned British grub, not fancy-schmancy stuff that needs a million different pinches of spice. I know it's easy to look at the past in rose tinted glasses, but people really did seem to be happier with less and more sociable with neighbours and the local community. I also hate "celebrity" hype. Just because someone happened to be in the background of one episode of some rotten programme doesn't make them a celebrity IMO.

Latest posts

Back