Two men discussing fashion

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

NikkiJ

Registered Shopper
Now I dont have anything against men being interested in womens fashion, but I just cant listen to Glen and Charile talk about womens clothes. Its just ridiculous. What are the bosses at QVC thinking? One knew nothing about fashion and the other, Charile, I am sure would rather be anywhere else.

In a nutshell, I am a woman, I like women's fashion I would rather a woman to talk about the clothes, what they feel like.
What do two men know about what its like to wear a dress that shows your bra straps or doesnt sit in the right place, or, rides up when you wear tights ??

Why couldnt they have Genevieve on with Charlie at least there would have been a balance. She knows a lot more than Glen and is more current with fashion,and we can see her wearing the clothes.I know its radical but, why dont QVC let a woman who knows about fashion, do the women's fashion programmes.

Now I dont have anything against men being interested in womens fashion, but I just cant listen to Glen and Charile talk about womens clothes. Its just ridiculous. What are the bosses at QVC thinking? One knew nothing about fashion and the other, Charile, I am sure would rather be anywhere else.

In a nutshell, I am a woman, I like women's fashion I would rather a woman to talk about the clothes, what they feel like.
What do two men know about what its like to wear a dress that shows your bra straps or doesnt sit in the right place, or, rides up when you wear tights ??

Why couldnt they have Genevieve on with Charlie at least there would have been a balance. She knows a lot more than Glen and is more current with fashion,and we can see her wearing the clothes.I know its radical but, why dont QVC let a woman who knows about fashion, do the women's fashion programmes.

Because any woman who's in any way interested in fashion would run a mile before getting involved in QVC's "fashion" ranges.

But then, how many men are there who are involved in women's fashion? Lagerfeld, Armani, Lacroix, McQueen (as was). I don't hear of any women refusing to wear any of that because men designed it.

Besides, aren't we in the 21st century now? Doesn't that mean that women who want to present technology and DIY can do so without anyone telling them to get back in the kitchen?

The flipside of that is that there shouldn't be an issue with men presenting fashion, beauty or jewellery shows.

The only issue I have with Glen and Charlie presenting fashion shows is that they are crap presenters (of anything, not just fashion), not because they are men.

i didn't mean to sound old fashined.

With regards to the point about women discussing technology well, women use technology as much as men, therefore can talk about it from a users point of view.
I dont think ( and mabey I am wrong) that Charlie or Glen can talk about fashion from the same point of view.

As for the desingers you mentioned, why do you think they fall over themselves to get female celebs to wear their clothes, because then we can relate.

I am sure some of the desingers /makers of the clothes on QVC are men, but they are not selling them.

All I am saying is that its nice to have a woman to relate to.

I know what you mean Nikki - the two of them don't have a clue :wonder:
When my nephew was at Central St Martins, the classes were fairly evenly split with both male/female. I wonder if Glen was a graduate:wonder::wonder::wonder::blush:

i didn't mean to sound old fashined.

With regards to the point about women discussing technology well, women use technology as much as men, therefore can talk about it from a users point of view.
I dont think ( and mabey I am wrong) that Charlie or Glen can talk about fashion from the same point of view.

As for the desingers you mentioned, why do you think they fall over themselves to get female celebs to wear their clothes, because then we can relate.

I am sure some of the desingers /makers of the clothes on QVC are men, but they are not selling them.

All I am saying is that its nice to have a woman to relate to.

I understand what you're saying, but it's all a question of who you're prepared to buy from.

As far as QVC is concerned, it doesn't matter whether it's a perfume, a dress, or a computer: QVC wants you to buy it. A good salesperson will be able to sell any of those to you regardless of their gender (I am talking about "good" salespeople here).

Gok Wan is making a VERY good living telling women what to wear, and no-one's telling him where to go because they can't "relate" to him, are they?

And how many women can REALLY identify with 6 foot tall underfed glamazons whose sole purpose in life is to (again) sell things, be it clothes, perfume, or an idealised image of what "real women" should look like? Or underfed "celebs" who have been dieted, exercised, and cosmetically enhanced to within an inch of their lives?

And who says men don't use beauty products? There are plenty of guys who do care about their skin. And plenty of blind transvestites who are grateful QVC exists.

And Lenny from Nina Leonard, George Simonton and Dennis Basso all do a great job of selling their ranges when they're on screen. The public may not be interested, but those guys do work hard :wink:

As long as the presenters are knowledgable about the items they are selling, I'm not bothered what gender they are to be honest. Bizarrely I thought Charlie was coming out with more informed comments than so called expert Glen but that's not saying much! :wink:

I like the dark haired Irish fashion expert because she talks about what is flattering to body shapes which IMO is relevant to everyone regardless of their size

I understand what you're saying, but it's all a question of who you're prepared to buy from.

As far as QVC is concerned, it doesn't matter whether it's a perfume, a dress, or a computer: QVC wants you to buy it. A good salesperson will be able to sell any of those to you regardless of their gender (I am talking about "good" salespeople here).

Gok Wan is making a VERY good living telling women what to wear, and no-one's telling him where to go because they can't "relate" to him, are they?

And how many women can REALLY identify with 6 foot tall underfed glamazons whose sole purpose in life is to (again) sell things, be it clothes, perfume, or an idealised image of what "real women" should look like? Or underfed "celebs" who have been dieted, exercised, and cosmetically enhanced to within an inch of their lives?

And who says men don't use beauty products? There are plenty of guys who do care about their skin. And plenty of blind transvestites who are grateful QVC exists.

And Lenny from Nina Leonard, George Simonton and Dennis Basso all do a great job of selling their ranges when they're on screen. The public may not be interested, but those guys do work hard :wink:

I agree its about who you care to buy from, but Gok wan for instance has women wearing the clothes and discussing how they feel in them. Again I can relate to the women, if it were just gok and Charile , I would have the same problem.

With all products as long as one of the people who are giving their pitch actually uses or could use the product than thats fine.
I know what you mean about the models and thats why I like Genevieve, she wears the clothes and eplains why she chose them and how they feel and, though slim, she aint no stick.

I like to hear about body shapes and sizes ( I am plus size) and she always does this.

Glen and Charile were the wrong combination and though I like Glen, his comments and winging it is wearing very thin.

OK, time to let the cat out of the bag I reckon........Mrs James and I (or should that be me and Mrs James?!!) have submitted our CVs to QVC because what we don't know about fashion just aint worth knowing as we can mix'n'match perfectly so keep watching your screens! We'll soon be showing you perfect examples of Quacker Factory with Artscapes, Kim & Co with Michelle Hope, Nina Leonard with Casual & Co., etc. :wink:

We can "dress up" or "dress down", show you outfits with little white T-Shirts (only if you're little of course as JR is these days!), tips on covering bumps and bulges with all the varying sizes in the ranges. Rest assured.......your fashion sense will be the talk of the town!! :smirk:

OK, time to let the cat out of the bag I reckon........Mrs James and I (or should that be me and Mrs James?!!) have submitted our CVs to QVC because what we don't know about fashion just aint worth knowing as we can mix'n'match perfectly so keep watching your screens! We'll soon be showing you perfect examples of Quacker Factory with Artscapes, Kim & Co with Michelle Hope, Nina Leonard with Casual & Co., etc. :wink:

We can "dress up" or "dress down", show you outfits with little white T-Shirts (only if you're little of course as JR is these days!), tips on covering bumps and bulges with all the varying sizes in the ranges. Rest assured.......your fashion sense will be the talk of the town!! :smirk:

Oh, per-lease, I've been editing Jamesy's fashion blog and it's so last season's story. Other than her take on the sequinned kaftan look, which I must admit is more or less on-trend, and has scored a veritable hit with the ever-increasing (in more ways than one) Demis Roussos Fanclub, she's completely out with her predictions. As for you, with your scorched crotch, care of your nylon/rayon/polyester mix Kim & Co lederhosen, well, I meantersay, are you really ready to retake your place in the fashion spotlight, after all that swearing just because your newly dyed Betty Bits were, to put it mildly, incinerated? Frankly, I had to consult my thesaurus of swear words in order to gather the merest gist of your harangue, and I fear that QVC will not readily accept a fashion-meister who has to be regularly bleeped over - it's so nerve-wracking for the producer, who is already back on the tranquilisers after Jamesy's foray into leather shorts...

Oh, per-lease, I've been editing Jamesy's fashion blog and it's so last season's story. Other than her take on the sequinned kaftan look, which I must admit is more or less on-trend, and has scored a veritable hit with the ever-increasing (in more ways than one) Demis Roussos Fanclub, she's completely out with her predictions. As for you, with your scorched crotch, care of your nylon/rayon/polyester mix Kim & Co lederhosen, well, I meantersay, are you really ready to retake your place in the fashion spotlight, after all that swearing just because your newly dyed Betty Bits were, to put it mildly, incinerated? Frankly, I had to consult my thesaurus of swear words in order to gather the merest gist of your harangue, and I fear that QVC will not readily accept a fashion-meister who has to be regularly bleeped over - it's so nerve-wracking for the producer, who is already back on the tranquilisers after Jamesy's foray into leather shorts...

:mysmilie_483::mysmilie_483::mysmilie_483:

thank you for cheering me up, I can go to bed now (this depression makes it difficult to doze off) .

:mysmilie_483::mysmilie_483::mysmilie_483:

thank you for cheering me up, I can go to bed now (this depression makes it difficult to doze off) .

Oh, I know the feeling, EM, I have horrendous insomnia, hence my usual stint on the night shift here. Glad I made you smile, at least. xxx

:doh:I must be the odd one out as I watched for the two hours, not for the fashion (which I admit was vile) but I enjoyed the banter between Glen and Charlie. I can't remember the last time that I watched QVC for two hours, perhaps I should resume my medication..:biggrin:

bikini-fail.jpg

''TAXI to Marco Polo House''

In your usual typical fashion :)wink:) you always say it as it is! Why you have to continue to bring up my scorched crotch I've no idea other than you are trying to raincoat (Dennis Basso!) on my parade.........:thinking:

Jamesy is trudging the high street (dread to think of all those germs she's mixing with) right now to check on current trends to ensure our fabrics/styles/etc. are so very 'on trend'. OK, they won't be hitting our screens until 20+ years down the line but at least the loyal viewers can be prepared. You wouldn't believe the lengths she is going to - she even got her flowing kaftan stuck in the revolving doors at Kendals last week and she spent half-a-day doing a great turn!!!

In your usual typical fashion :)wink:) you always say it as it is! Why you have to continue to bring up my scorched crotch I've no idea other than you are trying to raincoat (Dennis Basso!) on my parade.........:thinking:

Jamesy is trudging the high street (dread to think of all those germs she's mixing with) right now to check on current trends to ensure our fabrics/styles/etc. are so very 'on trend'. OK, they won't be hitting our screens until 20+ years down the line but at least the loyal viewers can be prepared. You wouldn't believe the lengths she is going to - she even got her flowing kaftan stuck in the revolving doors at Kendals last week and she spent half-a-day doing a great turn!!!

I'm feeling just a tad queasy at the thought of Jamesy trudging about the vicinity in her gold lycra/nylon/polyester mix Kylie shorts, and no wonder Kendals is no more, a sad loss to the high street experience.
I have just received the latest fashion blog courtesy of Gok Jamesy, and I am becoming ever more alarmed at her take on this season's story. Whilst I admire any woman who can make a faux leopard skin thong an attractive prospect to the trendy young buyer, I hesitate at the thought of the accessory of choice, ie, the cuddly toy leopard with its tail inserted where only the bravest of gynaecologists would venture. I do wonder how this would be presented during a QVC fashion extravaganza, and upon querying this very point with the producer, I was distressed to find that he fell into a faint, and began frothing at the mouth in a way I haven't seen since that time I stumbled across a rabid Bedouin in Bexleyheath. I regret to say that the poor chap is now heavily sedated and the subject of a sectioning order, and is set to while away the next few months here at Shady Pines, where it is hoped that prolonged exposure to basket weaving will restore some sort of mental clarity.

As to your scorched crotch, my dear Yves Saint Lizzie, I merely spoke of what your long-suffering hubby told me, namely, that you had developed a bitter feeling towards the adorable Kim Mendelson from MontrealCanada, and that you were planning to orchestrate her fashion demise in the most devious way imaginable, ie, have her launched into space by ensuring she is wearing one of her new nylon creations whilst standing near 450 burning Yankee Candles. Diabolical, and yet somehow appealing...

Last edited:
I'm feeling just a tad queasy at the thought of Jamesy trudging about the vicinity in her gold lycra/nylon/polyester mix Kylie shorts, and no wonder Kendals is no more, a sad loss to the high street experience.
I have just received the latest fashion blog courtesy of Gok Jamesy, and I am becoming ever more alarmed at her take on this season's story. Whilst I admire any woman who can make a faux leopard skin thong an attractive prospect to the trendy young buyer, I hesitate at the thought of the accessory of choice, ie, the cuddly toy leopard with its tail inserted where only the bravest of gynaecologists would venture. I do wonder how this would be presented during a QVC fashion extravaganza, and upon querying this very point with the producer, I was distressed to find that he fell into a faint, and began frothing at the mouth in a way I haven't seen since that time I stumbled across a rabid Bedouin in Bexleyheath. I regret to say that the poor chap is now heavily sedated and the subject of a sectioning order, and is set to while away the next few months here at Shady Pines, where it is hoped that prolonged exposure to basket weaving will restore some sort of mental clarity.

As to your scorched crotch, my dear Yves Saint Lizzie, I merely spoke of what your long-suffering hubby told me, namely, that you had developed a bitter feeling towards the adorable Kim Mendelson from MontrealCanada, and that you were planning to orchestrate her fashion demise in the most devious way imaginable, ie, have her launched into space by ensuring she is wearing one of her new nylon creations whilst standing near 450 burning Yankee Candles. Diabolical, and yet somehow appealing...

I do sense a lot of jealousy creeping in here with your continued criticism of Mrs. James' great fashion sense but then I suppose you realise that only SHE can pull off certain looks..................:cheeky:

What looks large (erm....great) on Mrs James just wouldn't look right on others without the necessary bits and boobs to drape over - there, that immediately includes me!! You see, I can carry off the more sleek glamorous look whereas Jamesy can express volumes with her varied outfits, recycled from discarded curtains, tablecloths and bedspreads. Our ideas are definitely worth following believe me........:wink:

I will refrain from commenting on your last paragraph for the time being......:tongue:

Hmmm, well, jealousy is one word for it, sanity is another, and I have to say, the one I would use for preference, along with horror, at what awaits the fashion forward QVC shopper.

Whilst I accept that Ernie Borgnine looked just the ticket in his flowing red kaftan at the Hollywood bash last week, when his own Golden Globes were swinging with abandon in their leather-look pochette, I do feel that the less flamboyant chap would struggle to make the look work whilst doing the weekly shop at Sainsbury's. I will admit that there are many followers of religious cults who would perhaps be the target purchasers of this somewhat avant-garde range, but can they be relied upon to be viewing QVC at those crucial moments inbetween chanting mantras and sacrificing grandmothers and the like? It's a risky venture, and the producer has now gone into a catatonic state, and simply refuses to even acknowledge the Introduction To Raffia-Work pamphlet we have supplied in order to take his mind off the forthcoming Gok Jamesy/Yves Saint Lizzie presentations. Not only that, but Charlie feels that his slow reveal could lead to criminal charges in this particular case...

Latest posts

Back