TSV Sunday -Samsung NC20 netbook

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It does surprise me that QVC can deliver a 32" flat screen tv for a tenner but want £35 for a small laptop computer.
Whatever their reasons it just doesn't add up. However I was amused to a large telly last night, think it was a Samsung, where the p and p had been factored into the price hmm hmm

I tweeted LJ but no reply, not her problem really, she is just the techie lady...what made me madder was thye were selling a big Samsung TV with P&P in the price as a hot pick....what's that all about.

TBH if the P&P has been normal I would've bought one today - another lost sale - kerching! Actually I would like pink so glad to wait.

LJ has replied - and very nice too - she's a lovely lass, but she hasn't anything to do with P&P - she could only think it is an insurance thing. I told her I would call QVC today.

These netbooks are fine for basic requirements but they are under powered the fact they are running XP tells all,Microsoft wants to sink XP it wont last another five years
like W2000 still in exstended support but very many things in the software wont work with it now.
What they didn't tell people the new intel chip will be out later this year for Netbooks,you can get Windows 7 beta on some of them but even this OS is to much for them to handle.

This Netbook is not under powered for what it is designed to do - which is simple stuff like web surfing and writing e-mails. For that use it is perfect and having Windows XP is not a problem as it's still a very good OS and Vista is nowhere near as good...even on a full powered PC.

Microsoft have wanted to sink XP since Vista came out but won't suceed now with Vista. Windows 7 is much better (better than XP as well) and can run on the more powerful netbooks and by the time Windows 7 comes out - probably early next year - any netbook at that time will run it well.

Alan

This Netbook is not under powered for what it is designed to do - which is simple stuff like web surfing and writing e-mails. For that use it is perfect and having Windows XP is not a problem as it's still a very good OS and Vista is nowhere near as good...even on a full powered PC.

Microsoft have wanted to sink XP since Vista came out but won't suceed now with Vista. Windows 7 is much better (better than XP as well) and can run on the more powerful netbooks and by the time Windows 7 comes out - probably early next year - any netbook at that time will run it well.

Alan
Sorry i don't agree with your comment if your bringing out a new product then it should be able to run Vista, it is now 2 years old now not new.
If these netbooks had been around in 2001 when XP came onto the market it would be like running W98 on them.

Just received this reply from QVC in reply to my complaint re postage of Samsung netbook

"Thank you for contacting QVC UK. Your views regarding postage and packaging have been duly noted and I wouldlike to thank you for passing on your concerns. To clarify, the price you pay for postage covers packaging, materials,labour, postage costs and insurance, that is, if the item you ordered goesastray we will replace it free of charge. As each item goes up in weight sowill the price of postage and packaging. QVC will bear the cost of postage and packaging in the following instances.Should a customer receive a product in a damaged or faulty condition QVCwill refund the postage and packaging paid. Should a product become faultywithin six months of purchase you may return the item for a full refund,including postage and packaging, or we will gladly replace the item if itis still available. Please also be aware that the cost of postage is determined by both thecourier company used and the vendor. We always appreciate comments from our customers and we hope that we haveaddressed your concerns fully. Please contact QVC UK if you require anyfurther assistance in this matter."

To which I've replied stating their explanation doesn't add up. When you post a Pilates exercise machine out for £22 and a Panasonic 38" TV for £7.95 - it beggers belief that they can justify their postage on this item. Having said that, they reckon it's Samsung that set the PP rates, so they should take them to task instead 'cos it sure doesn't come next day, courier. :9:

Pauline xx

I ain't playing devils advocate but you don't have to buy it from QVC. No one is forcing you to pay their p AND P.
You could buy one from Argos something like £5.80 p and p but they wont be taking it back after 30 days just cause you dont like it.
On the other hand QVC should be totally transparent about their p and p policy

G

Alan

also all technology is out-of-date even before you buy it basically.

Sorry i don't agree with your comment if your bringing out a new product then it should be able to run Vista, it is now 2 years old now not new.
If these netbooks had been around in 2001 when XP came onto the market it would be like running W98 on them.

Someone on here recently said they were still running Win98 and I only moved to XP 3 years ago due to work requirements. WinXP has a wide range of stable drivers which Vista does not. Vista is heavy on hardware for all it's fancy effects which these Netbooks cannot even remotely compete with thus rendering Vista pointless. You only have to look at the "success" of Vista in business to realise people don't want it and are happy with XP.

Don't have a netbook but can easily see why Vista would be a problem on them!

Regarding Vista though, I use it for business and in the early days I admit that I hated it and kept going back to my XP laptop. However, I later realised that this was simply because the early versions were sold on underpowered ram (1gb was stated as the minimum requirement but was totally inadequate and should never have been installed on less than 2gb). There were also still a few driver and compatibility problems about.

Now I have no issues, would not go backwards.

I am posting this on my husbands NC20 that arrived-to his great excitement!-at 8.30 this morning after he ordered it latish sunday-brisk delivery. It's a lovely little machine. The keyboard is one of the nicest I have used in a long time and the screen just doesn't seem as small as the dimentions suggest.I know he could make more technical comments than me but I know for his usage it's perfect and that he would much rather have xp than Vista. How many of you computer savvy people expect to have the same machine in 5 years anyway (if xp is gone by then.) You look at whether the machine suits you or not and buy accordingly. As already stated,the beauty of QVC is that you get to play with it for a whole month and decide is this really for me? After my last awful experience with the IQON PC in August 2008 I said would never buy a computer from QVC again,however our mistake then was not pushing for a refund within 30 days and not asking to speak to the Chief Exec and mutter the immortal words 'Trading Standards'-if I had done that 6 months earlier then it wouldn't have dragged on I am sure. Also his decision to buy from QVC was decided by the easy pays. With a new business and no credit availabale at this time, it was the ideal way to get something he desperately needs as he works on the road. I am very impressed with this so far but he has a few weeks to fully make his mind up.

I ain't playing devils advocate but you don't have to buy it from QVC. No one is forcing you to pay their p AND P.
You could buy one from Argos something like £5.80 p and p but they wont be taking it back after 30 days just cause you dont like it.

G

I agree 100% with this point, if you are buying something and you are sure you will want to keep it then it makes sense to shop around. However if you buy this from somewhere else and don't like it then you have lost the full amount paid whereas with QVC you have only lost the p & p (even though it is a pretty hefty charge).

Re postage & packaging cost for NC20

I ordered the NC20 from QVC even though it was heafty for p&p. Yes I was perfectly aware that I could purchase elsewhere cheaper and with less p&p but QVC were offering easy pay with no interest which met my buget at that time. I am sure the £35 p&p was put in place to deter those who just wanted to order it and return it once they had it for a few weeks. The 30 day moneyback guarentee is a real winner for me and I was prepared to pay £35 and return it if I had to, than pay full money up front with no guarentee of refund unless it was faulty.

I agree 100% with this point, if you are buying something and you are sure you will want to keep it then it makes sense to shop around. However if you buy this from somewhere else and don't like it then you have lost the full amount paid whereas with QVC you have only lost the p & p (even though it is a pretty hefty charge).

The point is a lot of peeps wanted to buy from QVC but didn't cos of the P&P!

Perhaps QVC should offer a second option- cheaper p&P but return only if faulty!

Latest posts

Back