Tricky Dicky's birdfood

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bensmum

Registered Shopper
Nearly 33 quid for RJ's bird food. Unbelievable. The birds will be queuing up and you might need air traffic control he says.

Words fail me. People are actually ordering it too. Have they heard of pound shops?

Can you buy bird food in pound shops?? I like to feed the birds on my allotment but it costs a blumming fortune.

Nearly 33 quid for RJ's bird food. Unbelievable. The birds will be queuing up and you might need air traffic control he says.

Words fail me. People are actually ordering it too. Have they heard of pound shops?

Small wonder he wears that smug smile...............

Definitely look online if you can afford to buy in bulk. Not sure on the weight RJ is selling but weights of bird seed over 12kg do not incur VAT so that is an immediate 20% saving. We have a big bucket and a scoop. Works out much cheaper for a good quality seed mix.

Mine too, LadyTinkerbelle

And check out the PetSection for the PuddyTats too. Once bought a folding 'cave' for Tiddles in my £ shop - similar to a mesh laundry bag that you unfold and it sprang open *ping* It had top, sides, floor, zipped entrance and she absolutely l-o-v-e-d it. Her look said, "Mine. All mine. No HumanBeans allowed." Best £1 spent.

I brought a bird feeder back from Florida as it is completely squirrel proof,I always use white sunflower seeds and have such a variety of birds feed from it.
Lynn:flower:

Another very cheap way to feed the birds in winter is to pour off the fat when roasting a chicken (don't pour down sink as it will cause a blockage) and tear up some stale-ish bread and let it absorb. I then put it out for the birds - the fat gives them extra energy in winter when pickings are slim.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

My last purchase of bird seed was from Pet Planet. It was on offer and I bought 3 x 20kg sacks. My fussy little friends don't like it at all, they pick out the sunflower seeds and leave the rest!!!!! I've got two sacks left and a ruddy great mess outside that needs sweeping up daily. Ungrateful little blighters. :confused: Anyone know of a charity or anything that accepts donations of bird seed? They're costing me a fortune at the moment as they're eating the fat balls and nuts that much quicker because they don't like the seed. :headbang:

At the moment Aldi are selling off bird feeders in a jute shopping bag with seed and lots of other stuff in the bag, reduced to £4 or £4.99, cant remember exact price sorry but less than a fiver.

I do a similar thing with the inevitably left over Xmas nuts. I pour the fat into a bowl and leave in the fridge til I'm ready to do it, rinse and dry any salted nuts, add seeds for small birds, soften the fat, chuck in the nuts and put back in the fridge to harden for a few hours.

It breaks up a bit when you turn it out but you can distribute around the garden. I did it yesterday and we now have jays, both sorts of woodpeckers and all the usual suspects feasting away.

Last edited:
I've got lots of goose and duck fat I could use up like that! My goose this year was divine but I had loads of fat I drained off. The I went and roasted a duck for New Year! Has never thought of using it to feed the birds.

Oh heck though I've just thought that's a bit weird. Giving "bird" fat to the birds!!

Oh heck I'll not bother then. I did feel a bit odd about feeding the birds with the leftovers from roasting their own kind. Off to the pound shop for me then.

Latest posts

Back