Tria 4x Laser Hair Removal System TSV 26/01/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The Tria lady at the BB said you can only use this if your body hair is reasonably dark... wouldn't work on me apparently!!

It will be interesting to see if Q presenters are allowed to be this honest once the hard sell train starts to run away with them

I played about with this in the beauty wholesalers I visit & wasn't impressed. Treatment area is tiny! Also, it didnt get good reviews on QVC US.

And...the woman demoing it has just said its the latest design, latest model. I don't think it is dear!

There are better (and cheaper) machines out there
(I) the Zap window is tiny. why isn't it square? How odd that its a circle. User cannot line it up as they 'patchwork' their way Zzzz around Zzzzz an Zzzzz area
(II) Its a Diode laser, as opposed to a pulsed light. Diode lasers lessen the variety of coloured hair it is effective on (IPL is ok with most shades, Diode is only really effective for white skin black hair)
(III) It has a wavelength of 810nm which is half the strength of Salon Pro units

Finally, its quite easy to get a scald on this machine (like a cigarette burn) and, as you probably know, you have to zap hair during 'growth phase' to destroy root, otherwise the hair will just grow back.

Its hard work to do at home, and probably best left to professionals

There are better (and cheaper) machines out there
(I) the Zap window is tiny. why isn't it square? How odd that its a circle. User cannot line it up as they 'patchwork' their way Zzzz around Zzzzz an Zzzzz area
(II) Its a Diode laser, as opposed to a pulsed light. Diode lasers lessen the variety of coloured hair it is effective on (IPL is ok with most shades, Diode is only really effective for white skin black hair)
(III) It has a wavelength of 810nm which is half the strength of Salon Pro units

Finally, its quite easy to get a scald on this machine (like a cigarette burn) and, as you probably know, you have to zap hair during 'growth phase' to destroy root, otherwise the hair will just grow back.

Its hard work to do at home, and probably best left to professionals
Thanks for posting this, I was a bit tempted but you have made me come to my senses!

Hi,

I've got a 4 yr old model of this, and it is definitely one of my best purchases ever. I use it on the highest setting and have never had a scald or burn. It certainly worked, but I have to keep using it (occasionally) when a new hair sprouts! It took a while, but the old hairs didn't grow back after several treatments -but then I didn't use it as often as I should - kept forgetting.

I have just seen the live demo. They have been very clear about the appropriate hair and skin colours, the pros, the cons, including the discomfort levels. For me, on my face, it hurts as much as epilating my legs, but less than waxing

No way would I go to a professional salon for hair removal. I don't want to pay thousands for something I can do, in private, in comfort, at home. For a fraction of the price!

If my ancient Tria died, it is the only hair removal gadget I have ever bought that I would replace - in the blink of an eye.

Has anyone tried this gizmo? http://www.qvcuk.com/Silk'n-Glide-H...-_-IO_ProdDetail-_-3&relType=IO&refLocation=3

I like the gliding aspect of this one, but I'v had good results with the No!No! on my legs but it's the older model with isn't so good to use anywhere except on legs.

Thanks for bringing this up. I was so tempted by this gadget before Christmas and sat on my hands. Last time I looked it was out of stock and I forgot all about it. I saw some of the presentation of today's gadget but as soon as the guest said 'shave' I went to bed. I wouldn't dream of shaving any part of my face.

I seem to remember that the silk'n glide guest said no shaving necessary for the face. It's a much neater unit as well. Just wondering if it's back in stock because of returns though.

If anyone decides to buy this, make the most of the MBG and send it back within the 90 days if it doesn't work!

I say that because I have the "ideal" hair/skin colour for IPL, but after 6 sessions in a hospital (don't ask :blush:), they gave me the news that I'm one of the people it just won't work on - it actually grew more hair on me. The good news was that they gave me 3 sessions with a nd:Yag laser and it DID work. More bad news - NHS red tape stopped the sessions halfway through so I have to go back to the doctor for re-referral. At least the extra growth is gone, along with some of the older hair (I'd named some of the stubborn buggers that would insist on growing under the skin, causing inches long ridges that would eventually become infected, Sigh).

Although I'm looking forward to going back and ridding myself for good (fingers crossed) of the hair and their nightmare side-effects, I must say that nd:Yag is not a walk in the park. IPL was fairly painful, yet warm and comforting in a strange way (the wonders of modern pain relief!), Yag was like being kicked by a horse continuously (having being kicked in the jaw by a horse in my youth, it IS a fair comparison!).

So, ladies, I wish you luck, but make sure you know the return by date.

Has anyone tried this gizmo? http://www.qvcuk.com/Silk'n-Glide-H...-_-IO_ProdDetail-_-3&relType=IO&refLocation=3

I like the gliding aspect of this one, but I'v had good results with the No!No! on my legs but it's the older model with isn't so good to use anywhere except on legs.

Yep I use it! Just about to do my 4th session this evening (have done one session every fortnight as recommended)

I used to do laser hair removal when I worked in dermatology (as a Nurse) and this machine is a total doddle. The glide aspect is like the action I used to do with professional IPL and the Apogee/Yag spot lasers, so it's definitely more easy if you're doing large areas like your legs, rather than continually having to press the button every time as per some home laser hair removers. Time wise the demo's are a little misleading because she uses it on the lowest settings, and with that you get a pulse of light every second, whereas if you've got the suitable skin and hair colour and can have it on the highest setting you get a pulse every 3.5 seconds so it does take a lot longer.

In terms of results I'm doing well, but I've got porcelain skin and black hair so I'm the perfect candidate (it feels so lovely to be smug about having pasty skin as tanned people take great pleasure in pointing out how pale you are - well hah, they won't get good results with laser hair removal, so who's the winner now then! :smirk: I digress....)
The surface area of the laser is pretty good for a home IPL device, I can do my legs in 30 minutes (but I am 5'10" and use it on the highest setting which takes longer, so I'm sure it'd be quicker for others), bikini line 15 minutes or so, and underarms 2 minutes.
A little tip from an ex-pro - use a white eyeliner to draw boxes on your legs or large areas so you don't end up going over the same areas twice or lose track of where you are. Then after you've lasered an area give it a wipe over with a babywipe followed by moisturising with a lotion or aloe vera gel.

It's not the snazziest of the home IPL's on the market, but it essentially does the same as all the others and it's very economical as you don't have to buy replacement bulbs (rather pricey). It gives you 50,000 pulses "for life", but bear in mind they don't say that it really depends on what setting you use - if you use the highest setting you won't get as many as that as the higher the pules the more energy it uses. Still, it should be sufficient to do your whole body for all the sessions required and then any top ups you might need over the future. I figured that although this machine will one day "run out" it will have worked out cheaper than having to replace cartridges all the time.

Bea Frugal - in terms of it saying you don't need to shave your face, I do think they're bending the "rules" slightly to try and sell more units. Any laser hair removal relies on the hair being as short as absolutely possible, and shaving is always the best way to achieve this. I used to advise my patients with polycystic ovaries who had a lot of facial hair and who refused to shave their face to trim the hair/s as close to the skin as they could with a pair of scissors, which is pretty sufficient.

Last edited:
If anyone decides to buy this, make the most of the MBG and send it back within the 90 days if it doesn't work!

I say that because I have the "ideal" hair/skin colour for IPL, but after 6 sessions in a hospital (don't ask :blush:), they gave me the news that I'm one of the people it just won't work on - it actually grew more hair on me. The good news was that they gave me 3 sessions with a nd:Yag laser and it DID work. More bad news - NHS red tape stopped the sessions halfway through so I have to go back to the doctor for re-referral. At least the extra growth is gone, along with some of the older hair (I'd named some of the stubborn buggers that would insist on growing under the skin, causing inches long ridges that would eventually become infected, Sigh).

Although I'm looking forward to going back and ridding myself for good (fingers crossed) of the hair and their nightmare side-effects, I must say that nd:Yag is not a walk in the park. IPL was fairly painful, yet warm and comforting in a strange way (the wonders of modern pain relief!), Yag was like being kicked by a horse continuously (having being kicked in the jaw by a horse in my youth, it IS a fair comparison!).

So, ladies, I wish you luck, but make sure you know the return by date.

I always found the Yag (and it's sister the Apogee) type spot lasers far more effective than IPL. Energy levels, spot sizes and wavelengths can be tailored more specifically to skin and hair types so we always saw better effects with those. Must only be used by trained professionals though as it can have disastrous side effects if used wrongly, so I doubt this type of laser would ever make it to the home market. Good luck with your hair removal quest, if you're able to get some more with the Yag then you may find having 2 paracetamol 30 minutes before your session helps to reduce the pain slightly :)

I always found the Yag (and it's sister the Apogee) type spot lasers far more effective than IPL. Energy levels, spot sizes and wavelengths can be tailored more specifically to skin and hair types so we always saw better effects with those. Must only be used by trained professionals though as it can have disastrous side effects if used wrongly, so I doubt this type of laser would ever make it to the home market. Good luck with your hair removal quest, if you're able to get some more with the Yag then you may find having 2 paracetamol 30 minutes before your session helps to reduce the pain slightly :)

Thanks, Ellaaa - I'm a tramadol taker, not that it actually helps that much (but I am grateful for any help)! I do make sure I time my appointments so they've actually got a chance of being useful, though. I'm glad you've said that only professionals should use it. I'm bruised and sore after treatment so I hate to imagine the things that could go wrong with someone that doesn't know what they're doing.

Thanks Ellaaa, very interesting indeed. Would a hair removal cream be ok to use beforehand - the hair would still be in the follicle?

I would THINK that would take the hair below skin level.......I think you need the hair to be at skin level, hence you cant epilate.

Regarding shaving the face.......I use one of those little hair trimmers that QVC and JML sell, just takes off the hair at the surface.

I wouldn't shave my face either, my skin is far too sensitive.

Thanks Ellaaa, very interesting indeed. Would a hair removal cream be ok to use beforehand - the hair would still be in the follicle?

Thanks, Ellaaa - I'm a tramadol taker, not that it actually helps that much (but I am grateful for any help)! I do make sure I time my appointments so they've actually got a chance of being useful, though. I'm glad you've said that only professionals should use it. I'm bruised and sore after treatment so I hate to imagine the things that could go wrong with someone that doesn't know what they're doing.

Yes spot lasering is a very personal thing, some people can tolerate the pain whereas others find it very painful, there is no right or wrong way to find it. Ice packs are always useful when you get home, and aloe vera gel (or even aftersun) is great to soothe the skin and hopefully reduce bruising and soreness :happy:

It's a bit of a debated one this, you will find conflicting advice. Hair removal cream dissolves some of the hair in the follicle so you are reducing the amount of pigment in the follicle that the laser will "find" to destroy. Most practitioners will say it's a no no as it reduces the efficacy of treatment, whereas some say as long as you do it 2 weeks before your treatment it will be fine (I've even seen some say 3 days before is fine). If you do choose to use depilatory creams just make sure there is a gap before and after laser treatment as depilatory creams can irritate the skin and when a laser (heat) is applied it can cause hypersensitivity.

SallyMc's suggestion is good to use a hair trimmer rather than wet shaving is a good one :happy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back