Toy story!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Thanks to an unexpected houseguest in the shape of OH's 6'4" heavily built and heavily inebriated nephew turning up on our doorstep with 2 enormous cases and a backpack I needed to retrieve the cube bed from upstairs. He told us that his wife had thrown him out and that he needed somewhere to stay for a couple of nights. OH said yes that's fine, you can sleep in the spare room. I pulled him aside and said there is no way I'm having him trying to negotiate those stairs in that state and having him crashing around up there is not a good idea, hence the cube bed. He couldn't sleep on either of our sofas as one's a console recliner and the other's a two seater and they're both leather so not ideal! This is a story for another day however and he's now found a mate that can put him up for a while a bit closer to home. The cube bed sits in the corner upstairs and it's covered with soft toys and has been ignored for years. When I went to put it back....I'm looking at all these chuffing toys and thinking WTF? I'm 60 years old and I really don't need all this clutter especially when its kid's toys. In my 40's I stupidly bought a few things associated with the John Lewis Xmas adverts because they were flying out and getting sold on Ebay for huge profits, this was my plan but somehow I never got around to it. I was unable to get my hands on Monty the penguin so OH kindly bought me a giant penguin from a different retailer and it's been stood in the corner gathering dust since day 1. I bought myself a unicorn that folds up into a pillow some years back to take on camping trips, but that's lost all its "pouff" and should've been binned yonks ago, other than that I haven't bought myself any soft toys, but sadly other people have for some reason. I went through this collection and I put the massive penguin, the knackered unicorn and a couple of very dusty knitted dragons that my friend made me into a large bin bag and binned them. (She knitted them for a craft fair and I admired her work, and then next thing I knew that was my Christmas present!!!) I kept "Ed" a nice small teddy bear for sentimental reasons a present from OH in the early days, the rest of the stuff was in really good condition some still bearing tags were put in yet another charity shop donation bag - Then there was "Frosty" a small polar bear that I rescued from the bin at work when it was unclaimed lost property, yes he's a little bit grubby so I went to throw him in the bin bag, but that face, those eyes, I just couldn't do it lol! He's in the wash basket now and when he's all cleaned up he'll go into the donation bag - or will he? I may just keep him to keep Ed company...bliddy hell listen to me!!!!
This is it though, I'm an adult I appreciate that some of the well made ones are super cute, but they're for kids! I totally get holding on to one or two for sentimental reasons, or even buying one for decorative purposes, but filling a shelf or an entire room with them just fills me with horror! We've all been into people's houses where they've got a huge collection of stuffed toys, often garishly coloured and badly made with their hideous googly eyes staring you down. There's usually one clutching a tacky satin heart on the end of a lolly stick, one that's so large that it needs it's own wicker chair and another that looks like it's been made by a committee! Anyway, and then there were two and that's how it's gonna stay!!!!

Thanks to an unexpected houseguest in the shape of OH's 6'4" heavily built and heavily inebriated nephew turning up on our doorstep with 2 enormous cases and a backpack I needed to retrieve the cube bed from upstairs. He told us that his wife had thrown him out and that he needed somewhere to stay for a couple of nights. OH said yes that's fine, you can sleep in the spare room. I pulled him aside and said there is no way I'm having him trying to negotiate those stairs in that state and having him crashing around up there is not a good idea, hence the cube bed. He couldn't sleep on either of our sofas as one's a console recliner and the other's a two seater and they're both leather so not ideal! This is a story for another day however and he's now found a mate that can put him up for a while a bit closer to home. The cube bed sits in the corner upstairs and it's covered with soft toys and has been ignored for years. When I went to put it back....I'm looking at all these chuffing toys and thinking WTF? I'm 60 years old and I really don't need all this clutter especially when its kid's toys. In my 40's I stupidly bought a few things associated with the John Lewis Xmas adverts because they were flying out and getting sold on Ebay for huge profits, this was my plan but somehow I never got around to it. I was unable to get my hands on Monty the penguin so OH kindly bought me a giant penguin from a different retailer and it's been stood in the corner gathering dust since day 1. I bought myself a unicorn that folds up into a pillow some years back to take on camping trips, but that's lost all its "pouff" and should've been binned yonks ago, other than that I haven't bought myself any soft toys, but sadly other people have for some reason. I went through this collection and I put the massive penguin, the knackered unicorn and a couple of very dusty knitted dragons that my friend made me into a large bin bag and binned them. (She knitted them for a craft fair and I admired her work, and then next thing I knew that was my Christmas present!!!) I kept "Ed" a nice small teddy bear for sentimental reasons a present from OH in the early days, the rest of the stuff was in really good condition some still bearing tags were put in yet another charity shop donation bag - Then there was "Frosty" a small polar bear that I rescued from the bin at work when it was unclaimed lost property, yes he's a little bit grubby so I went to throw him in the bin bag, but that face, those eyes, I just couldn't do it lol! He's in the wash basket now and when he's all cleaned up he'll go into the donation bag - or will he? I may just keep him to keep Ed company...bliddy hell listen to me!!!!
This is it though, I'm an adult I appreciate that some of the well made ones are super cute, but they're for kids! I totally get holding on to one or two for sentimental reasons, or even buying one for decorative purposes, but filling a shelf or an entire room with them just fills me with horror! We've all been into people's houses where they've got a huge collection of stuffed toys, often garishly coloured and badly made with their hideous googly eyes staring you down. There's usually one clutching a tacky satin heart on the end of a lolly stick, one that's so large that it needs it's own wicker chair and another that looks like it's been made by a committee! Anyway, and then there were two and that's how it's gonna stay!!!!
Have you ever been tempted by the Charlie Bears on QVC?

Have you ever been tempted by the Charlie Bears on QVC?
Not for myself no but coincidentally I was chosen to be Godmother to one of the above mentioned nephews sons. I bought one as a christening gift for him as I found one in a stockist in Cumbria and it had his name and with its keepsake card it was the ideal thing. It was a gorgeous bear too - but I’d never buy one for myself. It was pretty pricey so OH shared the cost with me.

Latest posts

Back