To Wick Moisture Away

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
The Cosey Home BA and several BA's for fur lined boots (sheepskin or synthetic) say that the fabric will wick moisture away. Emu Boots recommend not wearing socks with their boots because the sheepskin lining will wick moisture away. By 'moisture,' are they referring to perspiration? Wouldn't this build up and cause bacteria/bad odour? There would be nowhere for the perspiration to go other than to be absorbed by the fabric. The same with Cosey Home blankets. Will someone explain this, please because I don't understand.

I cannot see a synthetic adsorbing moisture. But Ugg and Emu boots were first worn by Australian surfers after they came out of the water to keep their feet warm. The BA back then used to tell us about this. Do sheepskin jackets smell as they are worn in the rain, etc? Del Boy in Only Fools And Horses always wore his for years.

I've often wondered about this, too. None of the sheepskin boots and slippers I've worn have ever smelt of anything so all I can guess is that wool has a property that neutralises smells. But where the moisture goes, I have no idea because surely everything at some point surely reaches saturation level. Maybe after being absorbed by the sheepskin, the moisture escapes through pores in the leather? All just guesswork.

I've often wondered about this, too. None of the sheepskin boots and slippers I've worn have ever smelt of anything so all I can guess is that wool has a property that neutralises smells. But where the moisture goes, I have no idea because surely everything at some point surely reaches saturation level. Maybe after being absorbed by the sheepskin, the moisture escapes through pores in the leather? All just guesswork.
Thank you. Your guesswork makes sense regarding the properties in the wool and leather absorbing and releasing the moisture without leaving any bacteria. Yesterday, Glen affirmed that the Emu boots should be worn without socks, but he didn't elaborate. Synthetic lining (Sketchers) would be a different matter, I think, but I don't know.

I cannot see a synthetic adsorbing moisture. But Ugg and Emu boots were first worn by Australian surfers after they came out of the water to keep their feet warm. The BA back then used to tell us about this. Do sheepskin jackets smell as they are worn in the rain, etc? Del Boy in Only Fools And Horses always wore his for years.
Interesting fact about surfers. I don't know who Del Boy is (except that I've read posts here that Debbie Flint bears an unflattering resemblance to him due to his selling style.) The Cosey BA always says the blankets/sheets wick moisture away. Does it just disappear into the air, leaving no germs on the fabric I wonder?

With regards to the Cozee Home items, I wear the PJs and they are changed and washed very regularly as they don't absorb sweat. All this wicking away moisture for man made fabrics/fibres isn't true in my opinion. I've never worn Uggs or Emus so I don't know about those. I had Skechers trainers and didn't wear socks and they also went in the washing machine regularly or they would have ponged.

CC

I think that there’s been a lot of work done on wicking moisture away in sportswear. Athletes, cyclists etc, often compete in high temperatures, and researchers have developed synthetic sportswear to minimise sweat.

Not that I’m sporty in any sense of the word, but do wear bras with wick away technology. I am large busted and suffered badly with sweat sores under my bust, since wearing these bras I don’t get that anymore. Also there is no moisture in bra when I take it off. How it all works, I have no idea but it does.

With regards to the Cozee Home items, I wear the PJs and they are changed and washed very regularly as they don't absorb sweat. All this wicking away moisture for man made fabrics/fibres isn't true in my opinion. I've never worn Uggs or Emus so I don't know about those. I had Skechers trainers and didn't wear socks and they also went in the washing machine regularly or they would have ponged.

CC
I only wear socks when it gets really cold and just with my boots. I've never worn socks with trainers and my feet really smell if I wear leather. I've some hotter nubuck trainers and they don't make my feet smell.

Latest posts

Back