Thorntons

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes I remember reading somewhere that the TSV sold before Christmas had best before dates of Jan 2014, despite them saying on air they'd last a good few months (I can't remember the exact words but they certainly made a point of them having a good while until the best before date). No doubt they got away with it because chocolate has a best before date, rather than use by.

I agree that Thorntons are not the 'name' they once were. I think they are on a marketing hike at the moment - so many different name boxes, with fundamentally (I hate the word 'basically') the exact same choccys in every box. In my local co-op I have just seen yet another packaging, which they are calling......... "Family Night In" ........... stupid name for chocolates.

I wish someone would bring back my old Black Magic centres from 40 years ago !!!

I agree that Thorntons are not the 'name' they once were. I think they are on a marketing hike at the moment - so many different name boxes, with fundamentally (I hate the word 'basically') the exact same choccys in every box. In my local co-op I have just seen yet another packaging, which they are calling......... "Family Night In" ........... stupid name for chocolates.

I wish someone would bring back my old Black Magic centres from 40 years ago !!!
Oh yes I loved Black Magic but nowadays they are just a shadow of their former selves. Like everything else these days.

I don't like Thorntons chocolates but am partial to their mixed toffee bags (£1 poundland) because they are proper toffee, hard and chewy. I hate soft toffee, it is just fudge which I hate.

I don't consider Thorntons to be a classy brand. It's above Dairy Milk / Milk Tray etc but only a notch.

That makes enormous sense!

Thorntons sells on basis of 'eat with ones eyes' If they sold on a taste basis, they would go into receivership.
In the 80s Thorntons was considered a real luxury treat, but now? Its taste is comparative to Christmas chocolate money. I don't know how and when they tweaked their recipe, but they have, and it shows, badly. Llindt are also very guilty of this.

Personally I think Aldi chocolate is blumming marvellous, of course Dairy milk is a staple - but they have a bar shrinkage prob :mysmilie_17:

The 'sugar free' variety of Thorntons - have a loo nearby!

Last edited:
Thorntons are about as sophisticated as a jar of Nescafé Gold Blend or a box of Ferrero Rochers!

Oh yes I loved Black Magic but nowadays they are just a shadow of their former selves. Like everything else these days.

Arent they just. Oh how I remember the gorgeous strawberry, cherry and orange centres in black magic some 40 years ago. They were gorgeous and so much bigger. I was so disappointed when someone bought me a box a few months ago - really ordinary - and small!!

I was in south africa and my husband bought a milky bar. Now, when I was a child a milky bar had a really lovely flavour but nowadays it just tastes like sweet nothing. Anyway, this bar bought in SA had the same flavour as when we were children. It was so noticeable just how less sweet it was. Gorgeous! We bought a couple of bars home with us. In conclusion, I guess SA still make it to the old recipe maybe? who knows.

Can someone please tell me why manufacturers mess with things - I know, its all down to money I suspect. Remember when cadburys cream eggs had a flavoured and runny yoke?

The only thing i like from Thorntons is the butter tablet. Prefer a nice box of Hotel Chocolat.

Ferrero rocher are my favourite, but like most chocolate with the exception of Hershey's which is absolutely vile.

I like Ferrero Rochers too, but I wouldn't say that they are sophisticated! Lol. My mother had a friend who used to think she was the height of sophistication for serving After Eight mints!

Latest posts

Back